United States
Total Time = 4h 40m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

double espresso, walk dog
Event warmup:

anything and anyone. was COLD. heater in Charity tent did not work. they did have coffee....nice.
Run
  • 4h 40m
  • 26 miles
  • 10m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

was cold waiting for start. was crowded waiting for start. was slow to inch toward start. that's Chicago, though.

Ended up being a perfect day for the race. Felt good, strong. Was holding 9, 930 min all the way till about mile 18. Blisters!!!! wTF? Never got blisters in training or before. 18-22 were tough with blisters. 22 to end were like running on shards of glass they hurt so bad.
What would you do differently?:

More glide on feet. Different socks--thinner socks. Was so cold I wore some smartwool socks I normally use on bike and for short runs in winter. Probably wrong socks for 26 miles. Pace was perfect until blisters hit, so think I can do one of these at 930-10 pace.
Post race
Event comments:

Highly recommend Chicago Marathon to anyone. Awesome experience with 35000 runners and spectators and, since 07, support. Only bad news was how they routed runners out after the race. Think there was at least another mile or so walking after finish line to get out and back to charity tents. then another mile or so to car! Otherwise perfect.

Last updated: 2009-03-11 12:00 AM
Running
04:40:00 | 26 miles | 10m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]