General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone actually recovered from ITBS? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-12-14 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2555975

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Has anyone actually recovered from ITBS?
I'm on my way back from a wicked case of ITBS, which caused me to have to stop at the relay point of my fall half-marathon and get the bus home (boo!)  After that, I couldn't run for the bus without my knee acting up.

I took a month entirely off and then started building up from nothing.  At first I could only run 1 mile/run.  Now I'm up to 3 miles/run, feeling no pain at the end of the run.  Sometimes I'll feel an unusual sensation (not even an ache or anything -- I would miss it if I wasn't actually looking for it) and that tells me it's time to stop.  I find that running slower lets me get more miles in before the knee acts up -- if I'm running at a pace that feels fun and exciting to me, I can really only get about a mile in before I have to stop.  Oh well.  Maybe someday my knee will get all the way better and I can run fast again.  I'm also more motivated to lose those last few pounds of superfluous body fat, since I feel like getting rid of it will help my knee out.

ART and The Stick have been really helpful for me too. 

2009-12-14 11:51 AM

Veteran
I had ITBS about two years ago, Foam rolling, and stretching got me back on the road. Strengthen your glutes, hip abductors, and adductors, to take the stress off of your IT band.
2009-12-14 12:05 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Plainsman AU - 2009-12-12 7:14 PM

Warning:  Pity party here for me.

I have been nursing this ITB issue since a few weeks before the Augusta HIM.  Took a couple weeks off after and then started running again.  My thoughts were to really concentrate on running ( which is my weak link) till first of the year and then get back on the bike and swim for a HIM in May. 

A couple weeks ago, I decided to do a slow 8 miler and about 6 miles into it, I had to walk home.  Basically, I am getting pain on the ouside of the knee.  I have been rolling it a couple times a day and stretching.  I think my game plan at this point is to totally lay off running till first of the year and see if it can heal ( unless I hear a better suggestion ).

I thought it would be uplifting to hear from some of you that have actually defeated this nagging injury and gone on to run and live another day.  What did you do?  Is there HOPE?

There is hope. Just take more time off of running and ease back into slower.

I had an IT band injury in 2007. Couldn't even run the half mary at my HIM.

After that I went to a walk/run combo to prevent injury.

Now in 2009, I have PRed my last 2 half marathons... solid running.

With injures you have to hang in there mentally and take enough time off for your body to heal.

2009-12-14 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2557757

User image

Expert
New York
smalls82 - 2009-12-14 12:51 PM

I had ITBS about two years ago, Foam rolling, and stretching got me back on the road. Strengthen your glutes, hip abductors, and adductors, to take the stress off of your IT band.

x a gerzillion on strengthening the surrounding muscles!

There's a great video someone posted on strength/stretching exercises for your hip girdle (glutes, hip abductors, etc.) that I used, in addition to stretching and foam rolling (ouch). I never (ok, try to never) go out on/finish a run without doing these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0

I was genuinely shocked to realize that these muscles were so weak--and yes, do this series of exercises once and you will realize that you do NOT have very strong glutes because you're a runner! Shocker.

My ITBS is much much better, but like others, the fear of re-injury sometimes makes me think it's actually injured again. I call them ghost pains. If they turn into real pain, I stop running immediately. I've started doing bike rides again, too, but ramping up S.L.O.W.L.Y. Thank goodness it's the off season!

2009-12-14 1:36 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-12-26 8:09 AM

Pro
Houston
I got a stabbing ITBS pain while walking into a movie theater a few days ago.  I hadn't run for a couple of days and am not sure where it came from.
Yesterday I went for a run and around mile 2 there it was.  I kept stopping to stretch but at the end of my almost 7 mile run I was DONE.
I came home and worked on my foam roller, took an ice bath then a hot shower a bit later.
I was hoping this morning it would be better but I can barely bend my knee.

What is ART?  I have a chiropractor but he has never mentioned ART.

My biggest issue is that I have a 1/2 marathon (my first) January 17.  I have been building my run slowly and to date my longest run is only 10 miles.  Obviously I can't take off too much time with the 1/2 coming up.  Any suggestions?

I got a trainer for Christmas, will biking make it better or worse?

2009-12-26 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2578004

Master
Bellevue, WA
ART is a type of physical therapy: http://www.activerelease.com/

2009-12-26 10:19 AM

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
You can get over it, but it takes time. I had it severely in 2006 to the point where i couldn't even walk down stairs. I went to a great PT, a marathon runner, who spent four months getting me back to normal. First, identify what's causing it. Different things cause IT band issues. As Bryan said above, his wife has a leg length issue. For me it was muscular imbalance. I had overdeveloped hamstrings and quads and weak hips. For some people it's simply flexibility. My PT consisted of targeted strength training, ART/massage and stretching. I had to take 8 weeks off running right in the middle of marathon training, but was able to bike 6 days a week without irritating the injury so that kept me going and I was able to complete the marathon. It flared a couple times in 2007 but was easy to control with ice and stretching. Since then it hasn't bothered me again.
2009-12-26 11:34 AM

I feel ya...had it bad in 2007.  Did PT, rested, used foam roller...noting worked.  I started reading about barefoot running and the physics involved.  Read Chi Running and moved to much thinner running sneaks.  I feel I have better balance and my attention to foot strike position is the reason.  Completed a marathon and an HIM since with no issues. 

Good Luck!
2009-12-26 8:42 PM

Expert
Boise
One thing to really hit home about IT band syndrome is that it's really an over use injury caused by increasing your exercise intensity too quickly combined with other weaknesses. OFTEN these weaknesses are found in the person's hip stabilizers which causes the IT band to tighten as a way of stabilizing the hip joint.
Now you may be saying I have HUGE muscles how can I be weak? Many even well trained athletes have weak ankle and hip stabilizing muscles.
Often in PT the underlying weakness is also addressed through a variety of means. Those of you that went through PT probably remember walking side to side with an elastic band around your ankles or balancing on one leg on foam while keeping your hips level or variations of these exercises to help strengthen you hip muscles. PT is really the best way for you to quickly decrease your pain level.

Sorry to sound preachy but just thought i would lay a little bit of the science of what's going on for people who didn't know.
2009-12-26 8:55 PM

In October of 2008 I ramped up my Marathon training too quickly and developed ITBS.  It would hit between 35 and 40 minutes regardless of my speed or intensity.  I did a TON of research.  I believe the foam roller and ART helped treat it once I had it, but ulitmately I just had to stop running all together and then I started up VERY slowly.  Check my logs for last January.  

What I believe my ITBand problem evolved from was an imbalance in my hips and weak glute muscles.  I did a lot of one-legged leg presses to strengthen my glutes; oh, and what I find from having A.R.T done was that I kept getting painful muscles knots in my right glute (same leg as the ITBS).  So what I did, and still do, is take a tennis ball, sit on it, and roll it around my glute muscle till I find a spot that HURTS.  Then I lift my other leg and let all my weight push the tennis ball into the knot and roll it out.  IT IS VERY PAINFUL, but it worked for me ...and it's basically the same thing as A.R.T -- it is breaking up knotted mucle, cartilage, and soft tissue that may be stangling nerves and capillaries and allowing it to heal. 

I also got orthotics.  I didn't realize it, but right leg was tilting a little bit, and I always ran the same running route on the same side of the road.  I read that this is a big No NO and will also contribute to ITBand synrdrome. 

So a year later I've had no flare ups -- knock on wood -- and I still foam roll, use a tennis ball on my glutes (sometimes a golf ball) I streeetch after almost every run, I do yoga, I just stopped wearing my othrotics on long runs, and I try to stay away from roads with steep sideways grades. 

Best of Luck.

2009-12-26 10:49 PM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Uh, it was all good after I did this:

I realize that is hardly uplifting...but let it be a warning to you to actually let the darn thing heal the first time!  If you let it get chronic you end up like that ^^^^^.
2009-12-27 1:34 AM

Expert
Boise
What did the surgeon do to fix it? Just curious I don't know of many people who have had to have surgery to fix ITBS it normally resolves with rest/PT.
2009-12-27 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2578502

Elite

crazyquick23 - 2009-12-26 9:42 PM One thing to really hit home about IT band syndrome is that it's really an over use injury caused by increasing your exercise intensity too quickly combined with other weaknesses. OFTEN these weaknesses are found in the person's hip stabilizers which causes the IT band to tighten as a way of stabilizing the hip joint.
Now you may be saying I have HUGE muscles how can I be weak? Many even well trained athletes have weak ankle and hip stabilizing muscles.
Often in PT the underlying weakness is also addressed through a variety of means. Those of you that went through PT probably remember walking side to side with an elastic band around your ankles or balancing on one leg on foam while keeping your hips level or variations of these exercises to help strengthen you hip muscles. PT is really the best way for you to quickly decrease your pain level.

Sorry to sound preachy but just thought i would lay a little bit of the science of what's going on for people who didn't know.

No real science in what you said. There are many reasons why you can have ITB issues. For some people it could be a muscular imbalance, for others bone spur, or a difference in leg length, for me it was a result of running on a banked road.

When I would run from the house I used to live in, I ran the same route to leave every time. Farm roads with no curbs. Over time my legs had been running at a different height than one another. This caused the iliotibial band to 'shorten' on one side and become tight. As a result it also caused friction and rub on the outside of my right knee. I did some PT, but I never felt anything from foam rolling or most of the exercises because I had well developed, well balanced muscles.

Many causes, but the underlying pain comes from friction of the band rubbing on your femur or knee. I had severe pain in my knee.

I had to change the surface and area I ran and stretch. Now I run without issue. I just had to add one extra stretch to my hand basket.

2009-12-27 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2578699

Master

Yes, I've recovered from it.  It still acts up from time to time, but you can get through it.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but my ITBS acts up when it gets cold outside.  Until the cold, regular stretching and slow builds keep it at bay, but any run that is under 35 degrees or has a wind requires tights for me.  I also like to run down the middle of the road in our neighborhood to avoid the big crown.

While you are recovering, you may want to try one of those knee braces/sleeves that you can buy at the grocery store.  It will give your knee some stability but also keep it warmer.

2009-12-27 7:33 PM

Expert
I recovered from my left ITB in '07...ran totally pain free in 08 until December when I took 6 weeks off for holidays/flu/sick kids.... and when coming back (slowly), my RIGHT IT had a twinge at 3 miles (if I remember right)....Well, here we are in Dec of '09, and I have done about 6 runs all year without pain...I have taken a couple of month breaks only to come back to horrible pain in the first 5 min of a run...It has been disappointing and it has negatively affected my biking and swimming...i had a massage done and I told the girl doing it about my ITB...she immediately went to my hips, then in a painful moment, grabbed my psoas muscle...she said that was part of the problem..."incredibly tight" was how she described it...I haven't done what I need to stretching-wise and thus it is still nagging...but not so painful now with a little bit of time working on it....

2009-12-28 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2578699

Expert
Boise
aarondavidson - 2009-12-27 7:23 AM

crazyquick23 - 2009-12-26 9:42 PM One thing to really hit home about IT band syndrome is that it's really an over use injury caused by increasing your exercise intensity too quickly combined with other weaknesses. OFTEN these weaknesses are found in the person's hip stabilizers which causes the IT band to tighten as a way of stabilizing the hip joint.

No real science in what you said. There are many reasons why you can have ITB issues. For some people it could be a muscular imbalance, for others bone spur, or a difference in leg length, for me it was a result of running on a banked road.

When I would run from the house I used to live in, I ran the same route to leave every time. Farm roads with no curbs. Over time my legs had been running at a different height than one another. This caused the iliotibial band to 'shorten' on one side and become tight. As a result it also caused friction and rub on the outside of my right knee. I did some PT, but I never felt anything from foam rolling or most of the exercises because I had well developed, well balanced muscles.

Many causes, but the underlying pain comes from friction of the band rubbing on your femur or knee. I had severe pain in my knee.

I had to change the surface and area I ran and stretch. Now I run without issue. I just had to add one extra stretch to my hand basket.

Actually there's a lot of science there and most of that rational was taken out of my notes from PT school. The IT band doesn't "rub on the knee" because where it ends is before the knee. It end in the mid to lower 1/3 of the thigh. The pain you feel from a tight IT Band is often caused by the varus (outward) force it puts on the knee, not from rubbing. You might have pain from compression and friction of the IT band along the outside of the thigh but the cause of knee pain associated with IT band syndrome is not from this friction.

And what happened to you is a classic case of muscular imbalance caused by like you said running the same route. This altered the length tension relationships of both muscles which then effects their force outputs. What you are describing is also an overuse injury caused by you not varying your workouts and not balancing the demands of the workout equally on both legs.

2009-12-28 2:08 PM

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
I developed ITB issues leading up to the Augusta HIM.

ITB issues caused by:

Weak hip/abductor/glute muscles  <--biggest culprit
Not enough stretching
Leg length disparity (left leg slightly longer then right due to pelvis misalignment)
Running the same route on banked roads
Building up miles too quickly

I took off the whole month of October, then started seeing a chiro and a PT in mid November. The biggest culprit was the weak hip/abductor/gluteus muscles. Since I started working on strengthening them, the ITB issues have started to go away. Chiropractor has been working on aligning my pelvis (and back) and the issues seem to be correcting.

Rest, Ice, NSAIDs, and foam rolling also helped alot.

I'd say I'm almost over ITB issues, at this point.

Good luck!

Edited by tri_d00d 2009-12-28 2:12 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone actually recovered from ITBS? Rss Feed  

of 2