BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2010-03-27 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2556227

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Views on Compression Socks ?? (looking for ways to help out my sore calf---been hot packing and resting it up-hoping for the best with the run Sunday)

2010-03-27 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2752262

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2010-03-27 12:04 PM Views on Compression Socks ?? (looking for ways to help out my sore calf---been hot packing and resting it up-hoping for the best with the run Sunday)

I have a pair.  They seem to work.  My friend who had surgery had to wear them after surgery for blood flow and my dad who is having some motor issues with his hand has been instructed to wear compression gloves for better circulation.  I don't think they will hurt.  For me, I think they worked better while I was exercising rather than recovery.

2010-03-28 10:57 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Hopefully some of you remember me The short version is I have not made time for my training of BT as of late, and that is changing. I have been spending a lot of time getting a new computrainer up running, adjusted and learned so I can put it to good use. It is actualy way over my ability for the moment because I am too competitve to learn how to pace with it and keep racing and blowing up.

BB, sorry to see you are down, but not out. Wish I had been paying a bit more attention and jumped in sooner.

Alana, the short version of if you should race is yes. Here are a few reasons and a slighly long story.

1) if you signed up for a annual USAT membership, racing in 3 races and finishing will get you Nationaly Ranked!! Yes it is that easy to be a nationaly ranked triathlete

2) Each time you race, you learn something. Maybe it is as simple as to make sure your aero waterbottle has the velcro strap on it before leaving transition. Almost learned that the hard way as I had to leave it behind.

3) Keeps the Mojo going. Nothing motivates better than hanging with "friends". For some reason 97.5% of triathletes are very easy to talk to and hang with, even if you do not know thier names...yet.

As for the stories. I got tossed off the back of a ride on lawn mower at work a few years back. Was on crutches for a week. Came off the crutches and went to race in an Oly I had money in on. Figured the swim could be done, take it easy on the bike, and see if I could shake off some dust or DNF the run. The swim went, well, swimmingly the bike just rolled along..sorry, could not resist and the run was interesting. Left T2 with a little gimpiness. "Ran" about 1/4 mile before I decided getting hurt was not worth it. Went into walk mode, just because my leg needed to get stretched back out. Ended up walking most of the 6 miles. Decieded with about 1/4 mile to go I should at least attempt not to be the last off the course. Managed to chase down one runner and had a great time. Kept my DNF off my record.

My other "not trained enough" came when I did my only 1/2 IM. I had an auto accident about 3 mons before the race. My only injury was my shoulder from the seat belt. Was nothing major in the big picture, but training was pushed way back. For some reason, swimming was the only thing my shoulder did not bother. I was able to spin on the bike a ton and kept up a good base. My problems came in the form of gripping the bars. Running was torcher with all the jarring. Come raced day, I rode about 30 miles of the 56 upright and with my arm behind me so it was comfortable. Aero was almost impossible for more than a few minutes at a time. My running legs did not exist as I had not run much more than 5 miles at a time since the accident. Decided to walk all hills and run when I could. Walked most of the 13.1, but finished. It was the most proud I have ever been. Topped my marathon effort.

So as I said, short version... yes.

Seren, sorry I missed you at the expo. I was taping for BT and was all over the place from 7:30 until the expo closed. I must say meeting Lisa Bentley and getting a chance to listen to her talk to an audience of 5 people was unreal. She was totaly different than all the other clinics I had tapped. She took her group outside Boy I love triathlon.

I will try not to stay away so long next time, Keep up the good work all.

Edited by Ontherun 2010-03-28 3:37 PM
2010-03-28 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Sore calf and all--ran in the Shamrock Shuffle today--5 miler.   Ran quite well and am pleased with my results.  Just have to step it up and continue to work hard--thanks for the support
2010-03-28 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for popping by Ontherun!  Don't be a stranger.

My hubby gave me a big rah rah today about how I need to at least start each workout, and just quit early if I have to.  Kinda made me laugh since he is a complete non-exerciser.  He said he'll step up and watch kids etc and even take over some of the house cleaning, so I can't say no to that!! 

Sounds like a golden opportunity to me!  Oh, and I'm headed to the Doc Wednesday.

I was looking through our group and we have more injured/sick than healthy!  Good luck everyone!
2010-03-28 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2753532

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
AlanaF - 2010-03-28 2:38 PM Thanks for popping by Ontherun!  Don't be a stranger.

My hubby gave me a big rah rah today about how I need to at least start each workout, and just quit early if I have to.  Kinda made me laugh since he is a complete non-exerciser.  He said he'll step up and watch kids etc and even take over some of the house cleaning, so I can't say no to that!! 

Sounds like a golden opportunity to me!  Oh, and I'm headed to the Doc Wednesday.

I was looking through our group and we have more injured/sick than healthy!  Good luck everyone!
Either injured or sick--NO one is giving up!!  And that's a huge plus!!

2010-03-29 6:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
The Morning After ?--Wondering how most of you feel the morning after a race? (other than being sore)  Are you usually pleased with the results or do you feel that you could have done a whole lot better if you pushed yourself harder?  Guess you can tell my feelings this morning.  Not to lay blame but having a calf issue I took it rather easy the first part of the race (didn't want a DNF not matter what!!) and then when I felt comfortable into the 4 mile mark I turned it up and ran hard and dropped my milage time down by 2 mins per mile.  Looking back at it all today--should have just reached down and ran my hardest from the start-would be more pleased with the end results.  Oh well, the season is still young and it's all a learning experince.  But, would rather jump out of bed the morning after and say--I gave it my best!!
2010-03-29 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
On the flip side though, if you would have gone out hard and seriously injured your calf and gotten a DNF, you would be lamenting this morning the other way.  Nobody has a crystal ball.

I know what you're saying though.  It doesn't feel good to not do your best.
2010-03-29 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2754828

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Yes going out and getting hurt is not worth it. Most of us here...well all of us at least in this thread are not getting paid to do this. We have jobs and families we need our body intact for. For what it is worth, that is the line. Now how close to the line can you get? Somedays your best is just going out and cheering on the racers you were supposed to be racing against. If that is all you have, then you have done your best.

Just remember DNF is better than a week on crutches, DFL is better than DNF, DFL is almost always better than DNS and I will take a DNS over a DNT (Did not Try) any day!!

2010-03-29 7:34 PM

Veteran
I know its closed but with a name like Boston Beg. Mentor Grp. I had to at least comment,,let me in my screen name has got to be worth something.
2010-03-29 8:05 PM

User image

Salem
i say the more the merrier, though its certainly not my decision.

2010-03-29 11:12 PM
in reply to: #2756663

User image

Extreme Veteran
bostonredsox - 2010-03-29 7:34 PM I know its closed but with a name like Boston Beg. Mentor Grp. I had to at least comment,,let me in my screen name has got to be worth something.

I would say so, since Josh said I had to become a redsox fan before he would let me in.  We compromised on them becoming my #2 team. 

I just get jealous when all of you Bostonians get together.  Makes me kinda feel..... out west.

2010-03-30 4:47 AM

User image

Salem
So Ive gotta ask Alana, since Idaho and Alaska don't have teams:  who do you root for?

Off-topic, I know, but the season starts in a week so it's on my mind.
2010-03-30 6:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls

I think our team is starting to get loaded on the Boston side already-but seeing how my darling daughter lives in you State--go a head and let the Sox fan join us!  Hey, what ever keeps the darling daughter happy is fine with me--she wants me to move to Boston-so tossing some good deads helps.  Really, always nice to have another one join our group--(if ok with the boss man-Josh)  I vote Yes

2010-03-30 8:08 AM

User image

Salem
oh yeah, i forgot you're in NY Dragonflyer.

this is me going to my happy place and pretending you're a Mets fan...

=P
2010-03-30 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Ok, 10 days until race day.  13.1 miles.  Last night I was able to get out for the first time in over a week.  I managed roughly 3 miles at a very slow pace.  It was ugly, but I got it done.  Going into this with no expectations, just want to have a good day out there and enjoy the crowd.

2010-03-30 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2756955

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2010-03-30 12:12 AM
bostonredsox - 2010-03-29 7:34 PM I know its closed but with a name like Boston Beg. Mentor Grp. I had to at least comment,,let me in my screen name has got to be worth something.

I would say so, since Josh said I had to become a redsox fan before he would let me in.  We compromised on them becoming my #2 team. 

I just get jealous when all of you Bostonians get together.  Makes me kinda feel..... out west.

You can always invite us out there  

Plus, you don't want to be here right now.  There is more rain than I have ever seen in my life.  Everything is flooded.

2010-03-30 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

bostonredsox - 2010-03-29 8:34 PM I know its closed but with a name like Boston Beg. Mentor Grp. I had to at least comment,,let me in my screen name has got to be worth something.

Screen name or not, you are more than welcome.  It looks like the inmates are taking over the asylum anyway, so my okay really isn't needed.

Tell us a little about yourself and your plans for this season.

2010-03-30 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2754447

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2010-03-29 7:24 AM The Morning After ?--Wondering how most of you feel the morning after a race? (other than being sore)  Are you usually pleased with the results or do you feel that you could have done a whole lot better if you pushed yourself harder?  Guess you can tell my feelings this morning.  Not to lay blame but having a calf issue I took it rather easy the first part of the race (didn't want a DNF not matter what!!) and then when I felt comfortable into the 4 mile mark I turned it up and ran hard and dropped my milage time down by 2 mins per mile.  Looking back at it all today--should have just reached down and ran my hardest from the start-would be more pleased with the end results.  Oh well, the season is still young and it's all a learning experince.  But, would rather jump out of bed the morning after and say--I gave it my best!!

Congrats, you learned something.  Next race you will go out a little faster and push it the whole race.  And if you crash before the finish line, you will take it a bit easier out of the gate.  You will figure it out.  2 min drop per mile is a big gap.  You probably were going a bit to slow for your current ability.

2010-03-30 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
bostonredsox - 2010-03-29 8:34 PM I know its closed but with a name like Boston Beg. Mentor Grp. I had to at least comment,,let me in my screen name has got to be worth something.

Welcome to the group!
2010-03-30 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2757614

User image

Salem
Boston Beginner - 2010-03-30 11:16 AM

It looks like the inmates are taking over the asylum anyway...

WHO LET YOU OUT OF YOUR CAGE?!

2010-03-30 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2757614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston Beginner - 2010-03-30 10:16 AM  It looks like the inmates are taking over the asylum anyway

Gosh you are hard to please!  First you complain that we don't talk enough, so then when we get chatty, we are taking over the asylum??  Make up your mind!!

Also, both Idahoans and Alaskans root for the Mariners, and I am no exception.  And I guess I actually lied about Boston being #2.  My top three teams are:

1- The Mariners
2 - Whoever is playing the Yankees
3 - Boston Red Sox (only because of this group)

Edited by AlanaF 2010-03-30 7:30 PM
2010-03-30 3:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is me officially inviting everyone in this group to come to Idaho!  Unless it's June, then come to Alaska.  I would love to do a group workout.  I hate exercising by myself!!
2010-03-30 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2758556

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2010-03-30 4:28 PM
Boston Beginner - 2010-03-30 10:16 AM  It looks like the inmates are taking over the asylum anyway

Gosh you are hard to please!  First you complain that we don't talk enough, so then when we get chatty, we are talking over the asylum??  Make up your mind!!

Also, both Idahoans and Alaskans root for the Mariners, and I am no exception.  And I guess I actually lied about Boston being #2.  My top three teams are:

1- The Mariners
2 - Whoever is playing the Yankees
3 - Boston Red Sox (only because of this group)

I am just grumpy because I can't do any physical activity.   

2010-03-30 4:47 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

There is only one thing worse than a triathlete who can not train... a wife who is pissed that you are training

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36