BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2010-04-02 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2556227

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED
A new Tri Group is starting up my area around June-got an invite to join!  Guess they need a someone for that age group   I am in--no doubts!   Besides being in our little merry group are the rest of you involved with other Triathalites?  Or do you go it alone?

2010-04-02 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2765973

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

KidIcarus - 2010-04-02 9:34 PM a few of you had asked for a picture of my bike when i got it.  if you go to my albums, i uploaded one.

ill be the first to admit: i have NO business owning this bike atm.  its WAY too much machine for me, though i hope to get up to speed sooner rather than later!  =P

Just worry about pedaling one foot after another.  Every other bike on the course has 2 wheels and gears.  Remember it's not the bike, it's the engine.  That being said, it's a nice bike.  I fly on my Cervelo Dual.  Ride it well.

2010-04-02 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2765986

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2010-04-02 9:44 PM A new Tri Group is starting up my area around June-got an invite to join!  Guess they need a someone for that age group   I am in--no doubts!   Besides being in our little merry group are the rest of you involved with other Triathalites?  Or do you go it alone?

I don't.  I just hang with the MA BT crew. That's enough for me.  I can't commit to anything else, right now.  Good luck though.  I am sure you will keep us updated on how it goes.

2010-04-03 7:03 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Dragonflyer - 2010-04-02 9:44 PM A new Tri Group is starting up my area around June-got an invite to join!  Guess they need a someone for that age group   I am in--no doubts!   Besides being in our little merry group are the rest of you involved with other Triathalites?  Or do you go it alone?

I belong to a local tri group, TriFury. I am a huge fan of getting out an meeting as many triatletes as you can. I get to go on group rides and do tons of open water swimming with my local group. For some reason, pool swimming dose not work well for me and I need to find the nuts willing to do mile swims in open water Also, going on 50+ mile rides are more fun and give a safety net when the are done with others. Needless to say, I guess I am a social creature, so I vote join the local group too. Mind you, do not let them take too much money from you

2010-04-03 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Boston

I joined a tri club this year however I haven't been able to train with them much due to scheduling conflicts so I am still training solo or with the MA BT'ers.   In theory its great to join a club but I am wondering now if I spent my money wisely.  ANd unless I can rearrange my schedule then I just gave them a whole bunch of $ to say I am a part of the team!   But if you have the time, I say go for it.   I always love meeting new people
2010-04-03 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2765642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontherun - 2010-04-02 3:50 PM

Alana, the idea of the groups originaly was to find a way to get new people on BT active with the people who have already been here for awhile. I think the idea of the time limit was to give the mentors a chance to work with others if they wanted, or walk away from the mentor program if it was not working out for them. I was a mentor in the first mentor program. I was by no way as active as Josh and it I do not think it worked out all that well for our group. My heart was in the right place, but I found I was better off with one or two people to check in on or to lurk, kind of like on this group.

I do agree that continuing with a good fit into the race season is a great idea, so just keep going

Gotcha.  So kind of like a group lunch date to see if we are a good fit before we have to commit to too much time together?  I don't know..... we seem to talk about the weather an awful lot

2010-04-03 9:38 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Training with a group can mean different things to different groups. Our team rides have a "nobody get dropped" rule. That dose not mean the lead group can not finish 20 minutes ahead of the rest of the pack, but the group will break up based on ablilty. Most of the people who hang back in the back of the pack in our group are either looking to do a long day and will do the loop again when the ride is over or looking to help newer members. I have been at the back of the pack due to going out to strong or not knowing the course and either way it is all good. Others will also be there just to ride with others and yes, talk about the weather

The most important part is finding a group that will fit your needs. Going fast is great, if you can keep up or are looking to push youreslf faster. Sometimes it is about going long or what ever. Good luck finding a group to train with, either with BTers or a local club. BTW just because we tri dose not mean you can not join masters swimming, bike clubs and track clubs. They all have their place. I just love having a local club so I can bump into everyone at races. Nothing like being at the end of a race and having a team mate cheering you on!!

2010-04-04 9:31 AM

User image

Salem
i hope everyone has a wonderful day today with their friends, family, jammers, bike, or running shoes...however you happen to be spending it!!
2010-04-04 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica
Happy Easter!
2010-04-04 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Calf Problem solved!!  Running has never been better--here all the time I had been feeling it was a deep in side--never really felt like cramps at all--started doing some Potas pills and am off and running, having a great time.  Even managed to start downing some bananas!! (really hate the damn things--but they work)  sometimes it's a simple fix that gets going back on track.  Happy Easter all
2010-04-04 6:16 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

glad the bannannas are working for you. Happy Easter to all. Got out for my first open water swim today!! Water temp 50 ft from shore showed 60, but it got colder in deeper water. Boy do I love a good wetsuit

2010-04-04 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2767764

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Ontherun - 2010-04-04 7:16 PM

glad the bannannas are working for you. Happy Easter to all. Got out for my first open water swim today!! Water temp 50 ft from shore showed 60, but it got colder in deeper water. Boy do I love a good wetsuit   What part of the world do you live in that you are in the open water already??

2010-04-05 6:11 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

I live about 20 minutes north of Boston. The "lake" we swim in is only about 1/4 mile long, 1/3 mile wide and averages about 15 ft deep. Their is a spot about 25 feet deep in the middle. I have seen the water temp swing by 3 degrees in a day if their is a major temp/sun change. The lake was 49 last week, so 10 degrees up in a week is great, but not to unusual for this puddle

2010-04-05 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  Believe it or not, I am feeling better.  Maybe it was just a bad muscle pull instead of a tear.  I was running around with the kids yesterday and I feel good.  I don't think exercising will be an issue.  I just have to be careful lifting things.  I think I am going to go for a run today.   Just a mile or so to see how I feel.  

2010-04-05 11:20 AM

User image

Salem
easily the best thing ive read in this thread in a while.

go slow, but WELCOME BACK!!
2010-04-05 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2768357

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Glad you are back at it Josh--go slow

2010-04-05 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Ok group, I see the big boss is posting for new mentors and starting up a whole new program in June.   Josh, time for some guidance here--how do we work keeping our merry band together.  I know you said you will continue to post--will that still work out in the same area?  Not sure if we don't sign on as a mentor group how that will continue to work out--yes, we are a needy bunch--or just will miss the gang.
2010-04-06 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2770071

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2010-04-05 9:11 PM Ok group, I see the big boss is posting for new mentors and starting up a whole new program in June.   Josh, time for some guidance here--how do we work keeping our merry band together.  I know you said you will continue to post--will that still work out in the same area?  Not sure if we don't sign on as a mentor group how that will continue to work out--yes, we are a needy bunch--or just will miss the gang.

Now you may want to sit down for what I have to say, but I don't know.  We will just roll with the punches.  From what I have seen in the past with other groups that continue on is that the mentor puts a new thread in the open mentors forum and directs them to the old group thread.  

I am assuming everyone is okay with this.  Also, I am probably going to take more than this time for a couple of reasons.  First, that we have an okay group, just kidding.  We have an outstanding group and I don't feel like I have to be in here every minute of every day.  Second, we have seen how some people are really excited to join and then just fall off for whatever reason.  

Does this answer your question?  I don't want you to feel left out. 

2010-04-06 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2768357

User image

Expert
Boston
Boston Beginner - 2010-04-05 9:16 AM

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  Believe it or not, I am feeling better.  Maybe it was just a bad muscle pull instead of a tear.  I was running around with the kids yesterday and I feel good.  I don't think exercising will be an issue.  I just have to be careful lifting things.  I think I am going to go for a run today.   Just a mile or so to see how I feel.  

Josh this is most excellent!!!!!Welcome back!     
2010-04-06 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2770667

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston Beginner - 2010-04-06 8:01 AM

I am assuming everyone is okay with this.  Also, I am probably going to take more than this time for a couple of reasons.  First, that we have an okay group, just kidding.  We have an outstanding group and I don't feel like I have to be in here every minute of every day.  Second, we have seen how some people are really excited to join and then just fall off for whatever reason.  

Does this answer your question?  I don't want you to feel left out. 

Or how some of us are terribly inconsistent
All the more reason I need a mentor group right?
2010-04-06 9:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Last year I drove to Boise and rode my bike on the greenbelt.  It made it so I could ride a multi-use path round trip 33 miles and it worked out fairly well for me.  This year, I just don't have the time to consistently drive over there (1.5 hours of driving per bike ride).  Of the three sports, I like cycling the best, and I am missing it.

I need to ride on the road.  I don't want to be paranoid, but I don't want to be stupid either.  The roads around my house have about a 1 foot shoulder and have moderate traffic with a speed limit of 45 mph.  I pretty much would have to ride on the white line.  Sound OK?  Would you guys ride here?

2010-04-07 5:02 AM

User image

Salem
awww, we've been archived! haha

im running into the same issues as you alana: the immediate area around where i'm staying right now is NOT bike friendly.  between narrow roads, traffic, and the shoulder being completely covered in debris and potholes, ive been pretty much riding on the left side of the white line.

id like some feedback on this subject as well.  do i need to just rack my bike and drive somewhere to start because of this? thanks guys!
2010-04-07 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2772731

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2010-04-06 10:12 PM Last year I drove to Boise and rode my bike on the greenbelt.  It made it so I could ride a multi-use path round trip 33 miles and it worked out fairly well for me.  This year, I just don't have the time to consistently drive over there (1.5 hours of driving per bike ride).  Of the three sports, I like cycling the best, and I am missing it.

I need to ride on the road.  I don't want to be paranoid, but I don't want to be stupid either.  The roads around my house have about a 1 foot shoulder and have moderate traffic with a speed limit of 45 mph.  I pretty much would have to ride on the white line.  Sound OK?  Would you guys ride here?

This is totally a comfort thing for each person.  I ride on all types of roads now, but it was a bit nerve racking when I first started out.   The main thing is that you feel comfortable.  If you don't, then you are not going to get a good ride in and it's not going to be enjoyable.  I suggest if this is the only place you can ride around your house, then either go on shorter rides to get used to the traffic, or throw the bike on the car and go where there is less traffic.  I think if there is a white line, you should be fine.  

2010-04-07 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2773259

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston Beginner - 2010-04-07 7:58 AM

AlanaF - 2010-04-06 10:12 PM Last year I drove to Boise and rode my bike on the greenbelt.  It made it so I could ride a multi-use path round trip 33 miles and it worked out fairly well for me.  This year, I just don't have the time to consistently drive over there (1.5 hours of driving per bike ride).  Of the three sports, I like cycling the best, and I am missing it.

This is totally a comfort thing for each person.  I ride on all types of roads now, but it was a bit nerve racking when I first started out.   The main thing is that you feel comfortable.  If you don't, then you are not going to get a good ride in and it's not going to be enjoyable.  I suggest if this is the only place you can ride around your house, then either go on shorter rides to get used to the traffic, or throw the bike on the car and go where there is less traffic.  I think if there is a white line, you should be fine.  

OK cool.  That will make my life tons easier.  Thanks!
2010-04-07 2:39 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

road ridding criteria for me need to have 2 of the following 3, Wide shoulder, smooth pavement and light traffic. If I can get 2 of these, it normaly works for me. Be careful of trusting the white line. In my neck of the woods, I have seen the white line painted on the grass as the road was too narrow for the white line to actualy be on the road!! This dose not happen often for me, but I have seen it.

If you are lucky enough to have a good local bike shop near by, check with them. My local shop offered up a bunch of weather proof maps for bike rides. The cross busy streets, but most of the time, they ride on secondary roads you would never find on your own. They cost a few bucks but have been worth it for me.

Unfortuanately, I do not use our local bike paths. They tend to have a bunch of walkers, baby strollers and various other slower moving traffic. I am not willing to hit someone while keeping my speed up.

If you do choose to ride on the roads, I recomend a mirror for your helmet. I have been ridding with one for over 20 years. They do not keep you from getting hit, but will give you extra security if you need to jump out into traffic to avoid obsticles. Hope to get outside and ride soon

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36