BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-12-13 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED

NAME: Boston Beginner / Josh

STORY: I am 36 years old and have been participating in triathlons for 2 years.  I started after I hurt my back 2 years ago and my physical therapist was doing a triathlon and figured since I was going 3x week to the gym for therapy, I can finding the time to train when it was over.  It was something I also wanted to do.  The rest is history. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a very supportive wife, 2 kids, 4.5 and 2.5

CURRENT TRAINING: I am in base training/get back into fighting weight mode.  I took some time off after my race in July.

2009 RACES: This past season, my second, I completed FL70.3, Vineman 70.3, Patriot Half Iron as the runner of a relay team, a sprint, a half marathon and a couple of road races.  Needless to say, I was pretty burned out by the end July. 

2010 RACES:  I am signed up for IMAZ and plan on doing a couple of sprints, an olympic, RI70.3 and Syracuse 70.3 as part of a relay team with my wife and best friend.  I will also throw some road races in there. 
WEIGHTLOSS: Since the start of training a couple of years ago, I was down about 25lbs, but I have gained some back.  I ideally would like to look an addition 20-25lbs for IMAZ. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I fully admit that an I not an expert in the mechanics of any of the 3 sports.  I need major work on my swim stroke, I need to learn a ton more about the bike, and I know if I keep moving my feet, I will cross the finish line.  I do believe that I am a good motivator and can give good advice from what I do know.   I will also try and find the answer or the place to get an answer to any question that is asked.  I have gotten countless advice and formed great friendships on BT and I think it’s time to return the favor.  

WHAT TO EXPECT AS A PART OF THE GROUP:

• Timely responses to questions
  • Positive discussions
  • Training feedback
  • Encouragement 
  • Motivation
  • Fun

WHAT IS EXPECTED OF YOU A MEMBER OF THE GROUP

• Up to date training log
  • Active participation (everyone has something to add)
  • Respect to your other members
  • Have fun

If sounds like this group is something you would benefit from, please respond with the appropriate information in the instructions.

Edited by Boston Beginner 2010-01-05 11:15 AM

2009-12-14 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2556227

User image

Expert
Boston
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - OPEN
Hi I would like to join the group.

Name: Serenity

Family status: married 21 years with 2 cats

Story:  Competetive since high school - swim team, gymnastics...graduated to bodybuilding comps after college, then left the competitive arena and did the "extreme" sports.  Had to quit everything 5 years ago to nurse a sick family member.   As he began to heal this year I found that I too needed healing.  I figured I would give tri's a try since  I already biked (with no purpose) rollerbladed (easy to switch to running) and the only thing left was to reacquaint myself with the water. Perfect!  What better way to spend the summer?  My tri was the Nantasket beach tri and Predictlby I injured myself when I moved from trail running to beach running...something I am still trying to get over.  I am excited for next season and could use some extra motivation and inspiration this winter season.  Oh yeah...I hate the pool!

2010 races:  I am planning to sign up for a few sprints and an olympic this year

2009-12-14 9:32 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Welcome Serenity.  I was starting to think no one liked me.  I did the Nantasket Tri 2 years ago.  It's a great race.  I hope your injury is healing well.   Even though you hate the pool, do you have a place to swim for the winter?  Looks like you have a good schedule for next year.   I look forward in helping in any way I can.

2009-12-14 10:37 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica

Hello,
     My name is Steve and I have just starting doing Tri's this past August. I have a running background as this has been my default workout for the past 10 or so years. I met a triathlete through a mutual friend and he got me to Beginner Triathlete and to a local Triathlete group a called Trifury. I have since joined Trifury and was able to complete the last couple races they put on called Tri thr Tri and they were sprint distance in lenth. I noticed this mentor listing appeared to be from the Boston area and thought it would be a good one to join to get to know a few more people in the local Tri scene.
     I am married with two kids 14,12 and three dogs.
I am currently trying to build a good swim and bike base over the winter as I am nursing a IT band injury the past month. The winter will give that time to heal and I'll work onthe other two disaplines in the meantime.
For 2010 I plan on a few sprints, Olympic and in August Timberman 70.3.

2009-12-14 10:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi -

My name is Alana, and I would like to join your group.

Family Status:  Married with 4 children- 9,8,4 & 1

Story:  My niece talked me into doing a mini-sprint with her last August.  I had been "on the couch" for about 10 years.  I had a lot of fun and loved it, but wanted to immediately do it again so I could fix all my mistakes and get faster.  I am currently making great strides in my swimming, but am going the wrong direction on both the bike and the run.

2010 races:  indoor tri in January, sprint in April, sprint in June and OLY in August.  A super secret (not anymore!) part of me would love to do the Boise 70.3 in June, but I don't think I have enough time to get ready for it.  

2009-12-15 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2559029

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

scogz1 - 2009-12-14 11:37 PM

Hello,
     My name is Steve and I have just starting doing Tri's this past August. I have a running background as this has been my default workout for the past 10 or so years. I met a triathlete through a mutual friend and he got me to Beginner Triathlete and to a local Triathlete group a called Trifury. I have since joined Trifury and was able to complete the last couple races they put on called Tri thr Tri and they were sprint distance in lenth. I noticed this mentor listing appeared to be from the Boston area and thought it would be a good one to join to get to know a few more people in the local Tri scene.
     I am married with two kids 14,12 and three dogs.
I am currently trying to build a good swim and bike base over the winter as I am nursing a IT band injury the past month. The winter will give that time to heal and I'll work onthe other two disaplines in the meantime.
For 2010 I plan on a few sprints, Olympic and in August Timberman 70.3.

Hi Steve.  Welcome to the group.  Although it wasn't the intent, I am happy to have locals in the group.  It will make me sound more knowledgeable  I don't belong to a tri team, but I know a bunch of folks who do.  The common sense is that you get out of it what you put into it.  I know there are a few Trifury folks around here.  I was at Timberman last year supporting a bunch of my friends and it was a great atmosphere.  The area fully embraces the event.  It got hot on the run last year, which affected a bunch of folks.  I hope I can help with any questions or concerns you have.

2009-12-15 7:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Hello

I go under the name of Dragonflyer but Jim also works.  Interested in taking on a older beginner.  Just starting out--competed in my first last Sept on a team.  Now have been bitten by the bug and have signed up for a Sprint in June 2010.  Been activly working out and have meet with a coach for a few pointers to get me started-but need more.  Am 56yrs and in pretty good shape for my age--just finished my first 5k race last week and want to seriously move forward.  Will add to my list later today-so am I invited to join your growing list of newbies?

Jim
2009-12-15 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2559048

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2009-12-14 11:58 PM Hi -

My name is Alana, and I would like to join your group.

Family Status:  Married with 4 children- 9,8,4 & 1

Story:  My niece talked me into doing a mini-sprint with her last August.  I had been "on the couch" for about 10 years.  I had a lot of fun and loved it, but wanted to immediately do it again so I could fix all my mistakes and get faster.  I am currently making great strides in my swimming, but am going the wrong direction on both the bike and the run.

2010 races:  indoor tri in January, sprint in April, sprint in June and OLY in August.  A super secret (not anymore!) part of me would love to do the Boise 70.3 in June, but I don't think I have enough time to get ready for it.  

Hi Alana.  Our first out-of-state member.  We will be happy to adopt you to our state.  But you have to like the Red Sox.  We may have to take some lessons from you about endurance with 4 kids.  My 2 run me into the ground.   What sort of issues are you have with the bike and run?  Do you feel like you are stronger in one sport over another?  As far as your super secret (I won't tell anyone),  I believe that if anyone can follow a training program, then they can finish a race.  It all depends on how much you want to suffer doing it.  If you are going to do it, I would do the first 3-4 weeks of a 20 week training program to see if you can handle the volume and time commitment.  We can talk more about it later.

2009-12-15 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2559204

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2009-12-15 8:11 AM Hello

I go under the name of Dragonflyer but Jim also works.  Interested in taking on a older beginner.  Just starting out--competed in my first last Sept on a team.  Now have been bitten by the bug and have signed up for a Sprint in June 2010.  Been activly working out and have meet with a coach for a few pointers to get me started-but need more.  Am 56yrs and in pretty good shape for my age--just finished my first 5k race last week and want to seriously move forward.  Will add to my list later today-so am I invited to join your growing list of newbies?

Jim

Hi Jim.  Age does not matter here, or in this sport.  It's always humbling when someone who can be your grandfather or grandmother passes you on the course.  What kind of coach are you meeting with?  Are they giving you a training plan or just some direction.  Congrats on finishing your first race.  I think many people start off with a 5k just to make sure they can survive it.  I did.  You will quickly see that 5k's become either warm ups or cool downs to longer training days.  Welcome.

2009-12-15 7:24 AM
in reply to: #2559211

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls

I was given a short over-view of starting out but want more!!  I will gladly give you more information (but am at work at this time and really need to get back to it-patients are waiting) hope to talk more with you later--am excited to become more involved and with some proper direction I plan on dusting the competition!!

2009-12-15 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2559219

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2009-12-15 8:24 AM

I was given a short over-view of starting out but want more!!  I will gladly give you more information (but am at work at this time and really need to get back to it-patients are waiting) hope to talk more with you later--am excited to become more involved and with some proper direction I plan on dusting the competition!!

The true secret is out.  The reason why we have to wait in the doctor's office is because doctors are surfing the web!  As long as it's this site.  No problem.  Whenever you have time.  I am on here all of the time.

2009-12-15 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
HI folks,  looking to get involved with another mentor group to help me get through this winter.  Joining a group last winter really kept me motivated.
This is my second season of competition.  Last year I started this silly sport on a dare and got hooked immediately.  I did four tri's last season, 2 sprints, an oly and a HIM.  This season I am planning for my first marathon (in April), another sprint a few Oly's and I'm going back to do the same HIM again to see if I can get faster.
I'm 40 this year, married and father of 2 boys 10 and 4.  My biggest challenges are probably the same as everyone's; balancing professional, personal and training lives.
Let's try to really make this fun this winter.
Scott
2009-12-15 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2559456

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

gobluedds - 2009-12-15 10:08 AM HI folks,  looking to get involved with another mentor group to help me get through this winter.  Joining a group last winter really kept me motivated.
This is my second season of competition.  Last year I started this silly sport on a dare and got hooked immediately.  I did four tri's last season, 2 sprints, an oly and a HIM.  This season I am planning for my first marathon (in April), another sprint a few Oly's and I'm going back to do the same HIM again to see if I can get faster.
I'm 40 this year, married and father of 2 boys 10 and 4.  My biggest challenges are probably the same as everyone's; balancing professional, personal and training lives.
Let's try to really make this fun this winter.
Scott

Good morning Scott.  That's an impressive 1st season.  Where is the marathon?  It wouldn't be well known one in our neck of the woods?  I haven't attempted the stand alone marathon yet.  I would like to at some point.  

We are all trying to find the balance.  One thing that has been a big help for me is bringing the kids to the gym.  I get 2 hours per day for each kid included in my membership.  I am lucky they built a big daycare place for them.  Although it's good in the winter, I feel bad keeping them inside during the summer.  

I forgot to mention in my original bio that I also was part of a mentor group 2 years ago.  It was a very positive experience and one of the main reasons for doing this group.

2009-12-15 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls

Have the time and wanted to add some more info
56yrs old--just getting into this great sport this year.  Did the Lake George Tri-NY last Sept on a team-I did the biking which went very well-enough to spark my interest.  Started training right away to be able to continue.  Have just completed my first 5k and have reg for another 5k-Dec 31st.  Should be a good starting point for myself as I have also reg for a Sprint--Vermont Sun Series in June and July.  And am patiently waiting for Reg to open up for the Lake George Tri in Sept-this is a Oly and plan on soloing this time.  Have also eyed a couple other races this coming season and thought being in the mentor program would give me the added push needed.  Looking forward to be part of group to share in the ups and downs of training, especially during the winter months.
                                                                                                                        Jim

2009-12-15 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2559586

User image

Expert
No, the race  is not local to you, though it is a qualifier.  No way I'm fast enough...yet!
I am in Michigan so outdoor winter training is a challenge.  I too am able to take kids with me to the gym, it's just that getting back to the gym after a long days work is a lot harder than just staying in town and getting the workout done before I go home.  I have a pretty long commute and no gyms out in the boonies where I live. Great thing is my 10 y.o. has decided that he wants to get into the sport as well and has started doing some running with me.  He competed in his first 5k this past weekend. Finished in a pretty respectable 29:21.  I am working with the kids in his class to train for the marathon in the spring.  They have a kids event the same day and the entire class wants to run in it.  The term "herding cats" comes to mind as we run down the road, but we are having fun.Laughing
2009-12-15 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2559615

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2009-12-15 10:51 AM

Have the time and wanted to add some more info
56yrs old--just getting into this great sport this year.  Did the Lake George Tri-NY last Sept on a team-I did the biking which went very well-enough to spark my interest.  Started training right away to be able to continue.  Have just completed my first 5k and have reg for another 5k-Dec 31st.  Should be a good starting point for myself as I have also reg for a Sprint--Vermont Sun Series in June and July.  And am patiently waiting for Reg to open up for the Lake George Tri in Sept-this is a Oly and plan on soloing this time.  Have also eyed a couple other races this coming season and thought being in the mentor program would give me the added push needed.  Looking forward to be part of group to share in the ups and downs of training, especially during the winter months.
                                                                                                                        Jim

Based on the races you are talking about, you must be in the Albany area and get the full effect of winter, from Oct to May?  I was in Syracuse for 7 years, so I know how long the winters can be.  Do you get the lake effect snow, or are you far enough away from it?  I did run outside frequently last year in the winter.  I rather enjoy it.  There was also a group of us that went out in March or April last year to ride.  It was something like 38 degrees out.  It actually wasn't as bad as you would have thought.    

As many of us with kids know, the hardest part of winter is staying healthy.  My whole family has been sick for about a week now.  It is not fun and just stops all the momentum of training.  I just hope we are all getting it out of our system now.

2009-12-15 10:43 AM

User image

Stamping Ground, KY

Hello, I would like to join your group!
Name: Melissa

Story:  I am 38 years old (38 is great!) I have not competed in a race yet!! I am totally brand new to the sport, but am looking to do a sprint early next year.  This is something I really want to do and have been waiting for this site to open up for the motivation and support.

Family status: I am married to a very supportive husband, who I am dragging to swim lessons with me.  He is active as well and will probably be doing the first one with me.  We have four children 4,6,7 and 9! 1 cat and three goats!!

Current training: Trying to get that figured all out.  I am currently taking swimming lessons to learn the right way to swim, and work on the treadmill.  Cold weather makes it hard to get on the mountain bike currently.

Races: I have completed a couple of 5K's, October 09 we did the Brown County Breakdown and rode 40 miles on mountain bikes.

Weightloss: I have loss about 10 pounds and would love to get in tip top shape.  Would love to have that six pack!!

I am looking forward to this, please forgive me being so green, I have to learn this site as well. Thanks Melissa

2009-12-15 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2559791

User image

Expert
Welcome Melissa.  Ask lots of questions, it's the best way to get answers.Laughing

Sounds like you live out in the country too.  What kind of goats do you have?  My wife wants to get some to go along with our dogs, cats, chickens, turkeys, ducks and horses.
2009-12-15 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2559791

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

skymedx - 2009-12-15 11:43 AM

Hello, I would like to join your group!
Name: Melissa

Story:  I am 38 years old (38 is great!) I have not competed in a race yet!! I am totally brand new to the sport, but am looking to do a sprint early next year.  This is something I really want to do and have been waiting for this site to open up for the motivation and support.

Family status: I am married to a very supportive husband, who I am dragging to swim lessons with me.  He is active as well and will probably be doing the first one with me.  We have four children 4,6,7 and 9! 1 cat and three goats!!

Current training: Trying to get that figured all out.  I am currently taking swimming lessons to learn the right way to swim, and work on the treadmill.  Cold weather makes it hard to get on the mountain bike currently.

Races: I have completed a couple of 5K's, October 09 we did the Brown County Breakdown and rode 40 miles on mountain bikes.

Weightloss: I have loss about 10 pounds and would love to get in tip top shape.  Would love to have that six pack!!

I am looking forward to this, please forgive me being so green, I have to learn this site as well. Thanks Melissa

Hi Melissa.  Welcome to the group and to BT.  No need to apologize for being new.  Everyone has been new to this site at one point in time.  Another positive about these mentor groups is that it lets you ask what you may think are easy questions to a smaller group instead of posting it to everyone.  Please feel free to ask away whether it's about the site, training plans, acronyms (there are a lot of these), or anything else.  I am still learning some of this stuff.  I have to log off for a bit, but just wanted to say welcome.

2009-12-15 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2559818

User image

Stamping Ground, KY
Thank you so much!! We have 2 fainting goats and a pound goat!! Our kids love them and they are petite.  We are hoping to breed them in the spring.  I do live in the country.  We live in Stamping Ground, KY.  I am trying to figure out the whole training thing, while working it in with four kids, husband and work!! Just like everyone else.  I have to get over the anxiety of getting on the bike and going without having my husband to go with me all the time! Riding on the road scares me but we have a beautiful area to ride, historic routes.  Thanks again looking forward to all the help.  Melissa
2009-12-15 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Wondering how many people you are plan on Mentoring in your group?

2009-12-15 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2558944

User image

Expert
Boston
Boston Beginner - 2009-12-14 10:32 PM

Welcome Serenity.  I was starting to think no one liked me.  I did the Nantasket Tri 2 years ago.  It's a great race.  I hope your injury is healing well.   Even though you hate the pool, do you have a place to swim for the winter?  Looks like you have a good schedule for next year.   I look forward in helping in any way I can.

I do have a 25m pool for the winter.  It wasn't bad when I was able to mix it up with OWS at Walden or the ocean.  I suppose if I had a plan, I could stay focused enough to stay more than 20 minutes.   I chose the 20 week Olympic plan which will start at the end of February.
2009-12-15 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2559206

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Red Sox huh?  How about if I am anti-Yankee's, is that good enough?  I hate to say it, but it looks like my Mariners are going to land your Jason Bay .   Thanks for the idea of the 20 week plan, I'll look it up and see if it something I can handle or not.  I would have started working harder several months ago but I thought there was no way I could handle the swim.   Since I've been going to Master's I think I can handle the swim, so that's why I'm starting to look at it again. 

Indecision is my problem with the bike and run. I was doing good outside this summer.  I ran with my sister and biked with my brother.  Then my brother moved away and since the days are shorter by the time my sister gets off work it is dark so she quit meeting me.  I have a treadmill and a trainer, but they feel like 10 times longer than an outside workout.  I've always been afraid to run outside by myself for some stupid reason.  I either need to mentally toughen up and hit the treadmill or stop being a chicken and go outside.  I know that's all just whining and excuses though.  I need to decide a direction and go that way.

2009-12-15 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2559705

User image

Expert
Boston
gobluedds - 2009-12-15 11:18 AM  I am working with the kids in his class to train for the marathon in the spring.  They have a kids event the same day and the entire class wants to run in it.  The term "herding cats" comes to mind as we run down the road, but we are having fun.Laughing

Then you must check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8
2009-12-15 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I looked up the HIM 20 week plan and the prerequisites are:

Swim - 40 min continuously
Bike - 90 min
Run - 60 min

I can swim and bike for those times, but I can only run for 30 minutes.  I'm not even totally positive I can do that now I've been such a slacker.  So... I'm not sure if that can be made up or not.  I need to decide if I want to suffer and be slow, or just focus on shorter races and try to get faster.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36