47F / 8C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 39m 34s
Overall Rank = 670/4453
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 68/304
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30. Race started at 8:00
Breakfast - Power bagel, 1/2 powerbar, banana.
We made a bed in the back of the Xterra and hung out there for about an hour and 15min. It was really nice being there instead of the big crowd inside the AAC. A lot more comfortable too.
Event warmup:

Ran for 10 minutes about 50 min before race time. Had to be in the corrals early to get a good spot up near the front.
Run
  • 3h 39m 34s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I felt really good at the start. It wasn't too crowded because I started near the front. Hung out on the left side at the start and it helped because I knew there was a left had turn first. It really helped being on that side. It wasn't too congested so that was nice. Up until mile 13 or 14, the miles were really tiking off. I was staying on my 8:00min/mile pace and feeling great. I slowed down a little near mile 8 or 9 to let the 3:30 pace group catch up to me so I could hang with them. I ran with them for about a mile and then hit two downhills. I fly downhill so I dropped them. Still felt good through mile 14 and then at mile 15 the 3:30 pace group caught up to me and I ran with them for about a mile or a 1 1/2 miles. Then at mile 16 I walked through an aid station to get some fluids and then that was it for me. I couldn't catch back up to them and I knew I wasn't going to hit my goal of 3:30. I still felt pretty good but could tell I was slowly get slower. At mile 20 I had a sharp pain in my knee and then I knew it was only a matter of time until my IT band really starting hurting. At mile 20 I really started hurting. My calves were hurting, my feet were hurting and I was getting blisters on my forefoot. My lower back started hurting and my arms were hurting a little bit too. I just couldn't push anymore and that was it. I walked off and on and just tried to run and wanted to try to get under 3:40. That was my new goal. At mile 24 my IT band really started to kill me. It was hurting bad. I pushed through the pain and finally made it. I hit my new goal under 3:40.

I also pinned on my elf hat to my Ironman Louisville hat. I got a whole lot of cheers. That was great. It was fun wearing the hat.

Nutrition
0:45 - Powergel
1:20 - 1/3 Powerbar
1:55 - Powergel
2:15 - 1/2 Powerbar
2:45 - Powergel
One more squeeze of powergel sometime after 2:45 and also had an orange.
I feel like I did great on my fluids.
What would you do differently?:

Well since this was my first stand alone marathon I really didn't know what pace I could actually hit. My goal was 3:30 and that was just a little too fast for me. Felt good through mile 16 and then I just couldn't hang. My training went good and I gave myself the best chance I could to hit that goal. Overall I was happy with my run and proud of my first marathon.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a granola bar, gatorade, banana, and a few bites of a bagel.
At home I ate some pizza. The best post race snack!!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

This was a great race. I liked how they had the different starting groups. I bet that helped out a lot. Plenty of aid stations and volunteers. I couldn't believe how many people there were out cheering us on. It was awesome. There were a lot of bands out there too.

Last updated: 2009-05-13 12:00 AM
Running
03:39:34 | 26.2 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 68/304
Overall: 670/4453
Performance: Average
Course: For the first 1/3 of the run it was slightly uphill and the miles were just tiking off. Then we went down into the lake. Around the lake it was just flat and nice. Coming out of the lake it was pretty hilly and it definitely hurt. Once we were out of the lake it was pretty much a gradual downhill from there which really helps out a lot, but by then I had already hit the wall
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %N/A
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-12-13 6:12 PM

User image

Bedford
Subject: Dallas White Rock Marathon

2009-12-13 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2556715

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Marathon
Great job... mile 20 hit me as well.
2009-12-14 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2556796

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Marathon
way to hang tough out there... I was yelling "GO MDOT" for every hat/shirt I saw with an ironman logo,, 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed