General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stationary Trainer Rides: Equal to Road Rides? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-13 6:26 PM

User image

Toronto
Subject: Stationary Trainer Rides: Equal to Road Rides?
I'm training for an early 2010 IM (March).   I'm now in the part of the program where 4+ hour rides are the norm. Living in the Northern Hemisphere means that indoor trainer rides are a reality.  Most plans assume that you will be riding outdoors.  But I will be doing these indoors. 
So here is my question - once one gets into longer duration should trainer hours be treated equally to road hours, assuming that one will be changing tension etc on the trainer to mimic race terrain (as best as possible).  If not what would the ratio be for road:trainer. Thanks everyone.

2009-12-13 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2556728

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Stationary Trainer Rides: Equal to Road Rides?
At the same heart rate, I'll be faster on the road. Riding the trainer makes getting back on the road so sweet! I do miss real hills, though.
2009-12-13 9:38 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
I have noticed that on dvd's like spinervals Troy says that a shorter trainer ride is equivalent to a longer outdoor ride.  I'm partly guessing but I think the one I have he says 3hr trainer ride is equivalent to 4+ outside.
Although you will have to do a few to make sure you are comfortable being in the saddle (and then running afterwards) for the duration you expect to be on the bike for, I think Troy makes sense.  Outside there are times you are coasting, slowing etc whilst inside it is always focus and a bit more overall effort from the constant pedalling - especially if you do a structured indoor workout
2009-12-13 10:41 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I tend to work harder on the trainer than I do outdoors, for a lot of reasons, soe psychological (I want to got OFF of that trainer!) and some practical (no cars or intersections to worry about).  However, IMO, it is important to get some significant time in the saddle in preparation for longer races.  You definitely do not want to hit 2:30 during a HIM and thin "gosh, I've never gone this long".  I think that's OK on the run, but I wouldn't want to do that on the bike.  For that reason, I'd be sure to get some longer rides in on the trainer, as ugly as doing so may be.

Edited by Experior 2009-12-13 10:41 PM
2009-12-13 10:45 PM

User image

Definitely not equal, but I don't know what the ratio is. I've been on the trainer since September, and the workouts certainly are more focused and intense.

As for the in saddle time 2 hours on the trainer is a LOT more difficult (comfort wise) for me than 2 hours on the road, with stopping, the saddle moves, standing up more, etc.....
2009-12-14 12:08 AM

Master
Just do it all on the trainer. You'll be stronger for it. Don't worry about the ratio - just go hardcore and crank it out on the trainer.

I've heard a rumor that 1 mile on the trainer = 1.5 road miles (no downhills, no coasting), but that's pure speculation. You can't go wrong by cranking it out on the trainer - you'll rock when it's outdoor season again.

2009-12-14 4:25 AM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
I agree with all the above comments but I have to add that I feel Brick trainings almost NOT effective if you do the indoor bike session and then running outside.
For me, 2hr indoor and then 30mins running outside is much much easier than when I do the full outside. I can't explain why but I feel much more the legs and the back pain in the first 10mins of the run.
Anybody knows why?
2009-12-14 6:26 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
There is not much coasting on a trainer and you would be surpised with stops and gos etc how much time you spend at zero power outside.  I don't know the ratio, but can probably figure it our fairly easily.  I will check out a couple of powertap files and see what it amounts to - that is if somebody doesn't speak up sooner.  You can just look at the total power put per hour on outdoor training rides, versus the same duration indoors and get a good number.  I am thinking it is somewhere int he range that 45-50 minutes trainer = an hour outdoors (in that ballpark), that is if you are maintaining similar efforts. 
2009-12-14 7:06 AM
in reply to: #2557054

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
rc63413 - 2009-12-14 6:26 AM There is not much coasting on a trainer and you would be surpised with stops and gos etc how much time you spend at zero power outside.  I don't know the ratio, but can probably figure it our fairly easily.  I will check out a couple of powertap files and see what it amounts to - that is if somebody doesn't speak up sooner.  You can just look at the total power put per hour on outdoor training rides, versus the same duration indoors and get a good number.  I am thinking it is somewhere int he range that 45-50 minutes trainer = an hour outdoors (in that ballpark), that is if you are maintaining similar efforts. 

I have heard and read the same.  Along with the coasting, stopping, turning, riding outside also provides some aerodynamic lift to your body.  This makes it feel a little different than riding outdoors.  Us that live in the north have to do what we have to do, though it gets mentally tough to ride the trainer for a long time. 
2009-12-14 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2557054

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
rc63413 - 2009-12-14 5:26 AM There is not much coasting on a trainer and you would be surpised with stops and gos etc how much time you spend at zero power outside.  I don't know the ratio, but can probably figure it our fairly easily.  I will check out a couple of powertap files and see what it amounts to - that is if somebody doesn't speak up sooner.  You can just look at the total power put per hour on outdoor training rides, versus the same duration indoors and get a good number.  I am thinking it is somewhere int he range that 45-50 minutes trainer = an hour outdoors (in that ballpark), that is if you are maintaining similar efforts. 

FYI, Carmichael Training has his riders reduce ride time by 20% indoors vs outdoors to get pretty close to the same workload. So 45-50 is a good estimate. Only real way to get an equalivent is by the use of a power meter like you said measured in kilojoules.
2009-12-14 9:03 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
My 3 hour ride on the trainer is considerably more boring than it is outside.
I don't know about harder... it's definitely more mindless. Sort of like the dreadmill... a run (even at a slower speed) seems harder because...well... your mind has nothing to do except think "man this sucks"

I seriously don't think my 3 hours on the trainer is anywhere near 4 hours outside. More like 3 hours outside.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stationary Trainer Rides: Equal to Road Rides? Rss Feed