General Discussion Race Reports! » Florida Gulf Beaches Holiday Halfathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Florida Gulf Beaches Holiday Halfathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Madiera Beach, Florida
United States
71F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 24m 55s
Overall Rank = 590/882
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 25/32
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00. Found some leftover sandwiches from the Christmas party, so at them instead of my usual pre-race breakfast.
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 2h 24m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Ahhhh, winter in Florida. 70 degrees and 100% humidity (fog). To add insult to injury, there was breeze out of the south, so the majority of the course was run in still air (unless you are really fast). Aside from that it was nice.
What would you do differently?:

Train, of course. Three years now I've done this race undertrained. Seems like something always comes up, be it injury of life, that gets in the way of my training program. On the other hand, I proved that it's possible to run a half marathon on an 8-week training program that averages 11.3 miles per week.
Post race
Warm down:

Find Steph and Chris to wait for Alisyn to finish. To the post-race party...spicy pasta w/ meatballs, light beer and a chair.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See 'What would you do differently?'

Event comments:

This is one of my favorite races. Well organized with a great course and dirt cheap. My only complaint is the aid stations. There are 4 of them in the first 7 miles, and only 2 in the last six miles (when it's getting warmer and you need them most). I'd love to see #2 moved to the baseball fields in Wasingham Heights.

Last updated: 2009-06-14 12:00 AM
Running
02:24:20 | 13.1 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/32
Overall: 32/882
Performance: Below average
Course: Start in front of Madeira Beach city hall. Go 4 miles north along Gulf Blvd. (through Reddington Beach, North Reddingtong Beach, Reddington Shores), then turn right on Park Blvd. Go east on Park Blvd. to 137th St., turn right, turn left on Oakhurst Rd. Proceed west for 2 miles, loop around Seminole Park and head north on the Pinellas Trail. Follow the trail for 4.5 miles to Taylor Park. Go counter-clockwise around Taylor Lake to the finish line.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-12-14 7:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL
Subject: Florida Gulf Beaches Holiday Halfathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Florida Gulf Beaches Holiday Halfathon Rss Feed