of 220

2009-12-14 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: Evondo's Group - CLOSED!
NAME: evondo / Eric

STORY:
I swam for two years in college and have always loved competing. After lying dormant for a few years after college I decided to train for my first sprint triathlon in 2006. It's hard for me to get motivated and workout if I'm not doing it for a purpose, triathlon was my new purpose. I was 40lbs overweight, not capable of running a mile straight and after my first triathlon I was instantly hooked and have been racing ever since.

FAMILY STATUS: Soon-to-be married! (4/10/2010)

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently enjoying off-season and getting back into the swing of things.

2009 RACES: Original focus for the year was NO 70.3 but due to bad pacing/nutrition issues, focus shifted towards Longhorn 70.3... Houston Half Marathon PR (1:29), New Orleans 70.3, Austin Olympic PR (2:08), Longhorn 70.3 PR (4:32) and a couple local sprints

2010 RACES:  Starting the season with the Houston half marathon to keep me honest with training during the holidays and off-season. The only other races currently planned are some local sprints, Austin Olympic and the 70.3 World Championship.

WEIGHTLOSS: Just maintain

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've been a self-coached athlete since starting triathlons and have worked my way through many issues and learning curves. I definitely don't know everything but am willing to research to try and help answer questions.  I currently coach 70.3 and IM athletes and am a swim coach at Tri On The Run in Houston. I'm logged into BT nearly every day and will be happy to help where I can!

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR: Ideally people that have at least one season under their belt and want to race a 70.3.

MY EXPECTATIONS:
  *** DAILY training log updates ***
  * Active participation in thread and inspires
  * Respect other members, don't take criticism personally!
  * Have fun and get faster

Edited by evondo 2009-12-15 11:47 AM

2009-12-14 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2558074

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - OPEN!

I'm in!  bio to follow...

2009-12-14 3:05 PM

User image

NAME: Trin2bfast / Justin

STORY: 
This is my third season of Triathlon. I have enjoyed two great seasons of learning, training, racing, falling short and achieving all kinds of goals in this sport. I have enjoyed working with Eric (Evondo) for 2009 and thought I would return to a group that was very inspiring, helpful, and fun. So let’s do this!!!

FAMILY STATUS:
Married to a wonderful & supportive wife (who is a new join to the tri-world and is excited about Tri’n in 2010). I have 2 great boys - 19 & 13...oh yeah, and 4 mini-doxies (Dixie, Dallas, Dutch & Darla) - I know...frickin' crazy!

CURRENT TRAINING:

Just wading through the month of December and then I will be focusing on Lonestar 70.3 in April. I am taking all the lessons learned in the first two years and looking to have the best year yet. I will train smarter and be much more focused on every aspect of this sport.
I will turn 40 in Feb and I am training to be more fit, faster and stronger than ever before.   I WILL!   

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
2009 was a good second tri-season. I raced all the distances and had some good results, with the exception of Buffalo Springs 70.3… Redemption will be mine! **at least that's the plan** I will definitely be better prepared for that event then I was in ’09!I capped off 2009 with an Ironman Florida finish and although I will not be racing the 140.6 distance in 2010, I will be signing up in Nov. for IMFL 2011. 

2010 RACES: (these are the two ‘A’ Races) There are others, but these are the focus!

Lonestar 70.3………………..…April 25, 2010
Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3……..June 27, 2010

WEIGHTLOSS: Other than a few pounds here and there… I am not doing anything directly related to weight loss.

Edited by Trin2bfast 2009-12-15 8:26 AM
2009-12-14 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON BT!

I hope to be part of this mentor group.  I might be a bit new to BT / triathlon training but I hope to learn fast.

NAME: I KENOTT Swim / Ken

STORY:  I have never trained to run or bike fast until 2009.  I have run during my weight training to keep the pounds down but not with the intent to go far or fast.  I did run one 6 minute mile back when I was younger and leaner - I want to get there again in my 40s.  I still have not swam any distance at all (hence the handle) and obviously will be working on this aspect of the triathlon training in 2010.  I went from not having a road bike to riding a century ride (Piney Woods Purgatory) in about 6 weeks in 2009 thanks to the help of some friends.  I love the bike and have been happy with my progress so far.  I competed in my first DU last fall and really enjoyed it.  If I can conquer the swim I think I will love triathlons as well.  I ran 12.2 miles Saturday for the first time and finally felt like a runner. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to the most wonderful woman (KERIKADI) I have ever met (and the reason I have found triathlons).  I have 5 wonderful children (Cory 16, Brendan 14, Kerianne 7, Avery 6, and Lilia 2)

CURRENT TRAINING: Houston 1/2 Marathon (Goal <2 hours)

2009 Races - (2) 5ks (1) 10k, Du the Bear

2010 Races - Houston 1/2 Marathon / Y Freedom Sprint Tri / Bridgeland Sprint Tri (2) DUs
[(3) century rides plus the Dallas MS 150]

I want to compete at the olympic distance in 2011. 

WEIGHTLOSS - 5-10

Edited by I KENOTT swim 2009-12-14 7:21 PM
2009-12-14 8:48 PM

Veteran
back of the pack
Got room for one more? My name is Dan and I let some friends talk me into a tri over a bottle of wine a couple of weeks ago. So I am goign to do my first Sprint on April 11.My story.... I'm 6'3 currently a couple over 300 and dropping. I had bariatric surgery last August and have lost 95+ pounds since then. I have been married for 10 years with 2 little boys Peter is 8 and Morgan is 4. I am a very goal oriented person. I have won several "weight loss and body transformation competitions, but when the goal has been met I tend to slack off. goals.Complete the Mount Royal Sprint Tri in Calgary on April 11/10. complete 1-2 more during the season with improved times for each in the three disiplines. Complete the Vegas 1/2 next December. and see my weight down to the 230-240 range (CLYDE4LIFE).plan.My neighbors are both competitive runners and bikers, he did the same triathalon last year on his way home from a 2 hour shift as a firefighter, she is a spin instructor. They both are holding me accountable and helping me with training when I need it. but they are already there fitnesswise. I am looking for a group of people in a similar situation ( first second season) to relate to and find motivation and coaching in.Hope there is room for one big Clyde.Dan...
2009-12-14 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi, I'm one season in (two sprints and and olympic last summer), and I'm signed up for Ironman 70.3 in Lawrence, KS, in June. Just what you're looking for! May I join your group?

2009-12-14 8:58 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
If you can stand to have a married couple in the group I'm in ^^^  he's my hubby Kiss
 Ok, I have to clarify - Ken is my hubby, not the 2 guys that posted after him. Surprised

NAME:  KeriKadi / Keri

STORY:  Played sports in high school but wasn't very competitive (small school) and worked out off and on for years.  Became a personal trainer in 1997 and really enjoyed doing that until #4 came along and it was just too hard with the little ones.  Having two that small and close together (16 months apart) made getting to the gym difficult and I did the standard Mom thing and got pretty squishy though not really heavy.  I started hitting the gym again and along came #5.  I knew last year when I was about to turn the big 40 I would need to get my butt in gear.  I joined a run club at my local Y where one of the other gals mentioned doing TriGirl the year before and it obviously got my attention.  I swam my first 25 yards in March, got my bike in April and did my first tri on Mother's Day, the rest is history!

FAMILY STATUS:  Same as Ken - LOL!  We have two teenage boys and 3 girls, the kids keep us very busy and I homeschool Kerianne and Avery.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am getting ready for the Houston Half.  I ran my first 10 miler on Saturday and I'm not sure my body has forgiven me yet.  Right now it's about the running and soon I'll add in more biking and swimming.

2009 RACES:  three 5Ks, one 10K and five sprint triathlons.

2010 RACES:  January - Houston Half, April - Gateway Sprint & Lonestar Oly (my first), June - Tejas, August - Bridgelands & Clear Lake Oly.  I am sure more will get added as the season gets underway.  Ironstar 70.3 is a *thought* but not yet in my realm of reality.

WEIGHTLOSS:  5 would be good

I am CRAZY slow but am making little bits of progress, hoping to continue that and learn not to hate the bike.

Edited by KeriKadi 2009-12-14 9:00 PM
2009-12-14 9:14 PM

Veteran
back of the pack
Thanks for clearing that up Keri. My wife occasionally comes on here and if she saw you were my wife too.... I would be in Tiger size trouble.
2009-12-14 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2558745

User image

Master
Houston
Welcome Ken & Keri! Might want to keep an eye on that wife of yours, she's claiming whoever is on top

I KENOTT swim - 2009-12-14 7:17 PM THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON BT!

I hope to be part of this mentor group.  I might be a bit new to BT / triathlon training but I hope to learn fast.

NAME: I KENOTT Swim / Ken

STORY:  I have never trained to run or bike fast until 2009.  I have run during my weight training to keep the pounds down but not with the intent to go far or fast.  I did run one 6 minute mile back when I was younger and leaner - I want to get there again in my 40s.  I still have not swam any distance at all (hence the handle) and obviously will be working on this aspect of the triathlon training in 2010.  I went from not having a road bike to riding a century ride (Piney Woods Purgatory) in about 6 weeks in 2009 thanks to the help of some friends.  I love the bike and have been happy with my progress so far.  I competed in my first DU last fall and really enjoyed it.  If I can conquer the swim I think I will love triathlons as well.  I ran 12.2 miles Saturday for the first time and finally felt like a runner. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to the most wonderful woman (KERIKADI) I have ever met (and the reason I have found triathlons).  I have 5 wonderful children (Cory 16, Brendan 14, Kerianne 7, Avery 6, and Lilia 2)

CURRENT TRAINING: Houston 1/2 Marathon (Goal <2 hours)

2009 Races - (2) 5ks (1) 10k, Du the Bear

2010 Races - Houston 1/2 Marathon / Y Freedom Sprint Tri / Bridgeland Sprint Tri (2) DUs
[(3) century rides plus the Dallas MS 150]

I want to compete at the olympic distance in 2011. 

WEIGHTLOSS - 5-10

2009-12-14 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2558888

User image

Master
Houston
Absolutely, welcome to the group! What did you use to do in the weight loss competitions to lose weight?

loeber - 2009-12-14 8:48 PM Got room for one more? My name is Dan and I let some friends talk me into a tri over a bottle of wine a couple of weeks ago. So I am goign to do my first Sprint on April 11.My story.... I'm 6'3 currently a couple over 300 and dropping. I had bariatric surgery last August and have lost 95+ pounds since then. I have been married for 10 years with 2 little boys Peter is 8 and Morgan is 4. I am a very goal oriented person. I have won several "weight loss and body transformation competitions, but when the goal has been met I tend to slack off. goals.Complete the Mount Royal Sprint Tri in Calgary on April 11/10. complete 1-2 more during the season with improved times for each in the three disiplines. Complete the Vegas 1/2 next December. and see my weight down to the 230-240 range (CLYDE4LIFE).plan.My neighbors are both competitive runners and bikers, he did the same triathalon last year on his way home from a 2 hour shift as a firefighter, she is a spin instructor. They both are holding me accountable and helping me with training when I need it. but they are already there fitnesswise. I am looking for a group of people in a similar situation ( first second season) to relate to and find motivation and coaching in.Hope there is room for one big Clyde.Dan...
2009-12-14 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2558893

User image

Master
Houston
Yep, welcome! Please post a bio so everyone can get to know a little bit about you.

gavisk - 2009-12-14 8:52 PM Hi, I'm one season in (two sprints and and olympic last summer), and I'm signed up for Ironman 70.3 in Lawrence, KS, in June. Just what you're looking for! May I join your group?

2009-12-14 9:38 PM
in reply to: #2558346

User image

Master
Houston
The year of redemption, let it begin

Trin2bfast - 2009-12-14 3:05 PM

NAME: Trin2bfast / Justin

STORY: 
This is my third season of Triathlon. I have enjoyed two great seasons of learning, training, racing, falling short and achieving all kinds of goals in this sport. I have enjoyed working with Eric (Evondo) for 2009 and thought I would return to a group that was very inspiring, helpful, and fun. So let’s do this!!!

FAMILY STATUS:
Married to a wonderful & supportive wife (who is a new join to the tri-world and is excited about Tri’n in 2010). I have 2 great boys - 19 & 13...oh yeah, and 4 mini-doxies (Dixie, Dallas, Dutch & Darla&hellip - I know...frickin' crazy!

CURRENT TRAINING:

Just wading through the month of December and then I will be focusing on Lonestar 70.3 in April. I am taking all the lessons learned in the first two years and looking to have the best year yet. I will train smarter and be much more focused on every aspect of this sport.
I will turn 40 in Feb and I am training to be more fit, faster and stronger than ever before.   I WILL!   

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
2009 was a good second tri-season. I raced all the distances and had some good results, with the exception of Buffalo Springs 70.3… Redemption will be mine! **at least that's the plan** I will definitely be better prepared for that event then I was in ’09!I capped off 2009 with an Ironman Florida finish and although I will not be racing the 140.6 distance in 2010, I will be signing up in Nov. for IMFL 2011. 

2010 RACES: (these are the two ‘A’ Races) There are others, but these are the focus!

Lonestar 70.3………………..…April 25, 2010
Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3……..June 27, 2010

WEIGHTLOSS: Other than a few pounds here and there… I am not doing anything directly related to weight loss.

2009-12-14 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
I am in for this one. Bio soon. More people to get some BT* exposure. 
2009-12-15 12:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey Eric- would like to join your group...

NAME: Kevin

STORY: 
Just finished my first half-season of Tri.  Got into this to get one tri in before I turned 30 and kinda got hooked on it.  Did 1 sprint and 1 something in-between sprint and olympic and finished w/ a half mary.  I am very competitive and love racing but sometimes need a little kick in the butt during training (especially swim training- ugh).  Looking at a pair of 70.3s this year with some other events scattered in-between.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married w/ 2 sweet little girls - 2 & 4

CURRENT TRAINING:

Just kinda here and there through the last few weeks taking some time to relax.  Just a couple of runs or trainer rides per week.  Plan on ramping it up shortly and beginning 20week him training in the middle of January.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
Sprint tri in August- 1:15
Longer sprint in September- 1:54
Half Marathon in October - 1:43
Couple of local 5Ks this winter

2010 Events:

St. Louis Half Marathon - April 11
IM Kansas 70.3 - June 6 (see you there gavisk)
RAGBRAI - July 25-31
Jackson Co Tri (Sprint) - August 22
IM Branson 70.3 - September 19

WEIGHTLOSS:

Never had any trouble with weight management

2009-12-15 1:51 AM

User image

Master
Hey Eric and everyone! I'd like to join this group... got room for one more?? I'll post a bio tomorrow.
2009-12-15 6:52 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Hey Evondo, got room for one more?  If so I'll post a Bio.

2009-12-15 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2559179

User image

Master
Houston
Of course there's room for more, welcome Kevin, Emma, Kimberly and we can't do without Todd pushing BT* on others. 

Please post your bios and look at how to log workouts if you haven't done so. Let me know if you have any questions. 

We've got room for ~5 more since we have some returners from previous groups, come on ladies help us even out the group!

2009-12-15 7:28 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Kevin - I'm guessing you live in St. Louis?  Whereabouts?  I graduated HS in KC, MO then moved to St. Louis to go to college.  I went to Fontbonne (across from Wash U) then I lived in South County for a while before moving to O'Fallon.  I miss St. Louis and it is one of the places I would consider moving to even with the COLD!

gavisk - Where in Denver are you?  Most of my family is up there.  Mom lives in Englewood, brother in Denver - works in Cherry Creek and my Grandpa lives in Longmonth.  Both of my parents are from there and I lived there for a little while when I was a kid.
2009-12-15 7:39 AM

User image

Payson, AZ

NAME: bzgl40/Kim

STORY: 
I have done marathons, centuries, duathlons, and other various length running races for much of my adult life but stayed away from triathlons for the simple reason of the swim.  I finally broke down last year and learnt how to swim and did 3 sprints and although my swim still sucks I am hooked on swimming. 

FAMILY STATUS: 
I have a very supportive significant other, who is actually gone in the field a lot of the summer…leaving me plenty of time to train with no complaints.

CURRENT TRAINING:

I am currently working on base and don’t start officially training for the season until the end of February leading into my first HIM of the season at the end of June.  I am planning on joining Masters Swim in January to improve my swim stroke.  I know that most the swimmers in the masters here are triathletes so it is the perfect group for me.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
I did a few run races and centuries this year along with the 3 sprints.  I am pretty much a typical middle of the packer although my first sprint was a tri-it and I won my age group and was second female overall (by 8 seconds).  Course, that is not really fair since most of those folks were new to all 3 disciplines and I just had to get over the fear of the swim, but it felt good none the less.

2010 RACES: (these are the two ‘A’ Races) 

Pacific Crest Long Course:  June 26th

Black Diamond Long Course: Sept (assuming they ever update the site to indicate they are having the race)

I also plan to lead into those two races with an Olympic.  I have a very hilly century planned for May and a double century planned for early July.  I might throw another one in as well in August.  I usually do a few runs as well, especially if a nice trail run pops up.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am looking to lose about 6 pounds and then maintain.  Not stressing about it but I tend to struggle with the maintain a bit (which is why I have to lose 6 pounds…again)

2009-12-15 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State
Eric,

I'd like to join in if you've got the room.

Name: SMA777/Sean

Story: Adult onset athlete. I played sports through High School and then played in golf and softball beer leagues as an adult. Blew my ACL 3 years ago playing soccer because I was fat and out of shape which was my wake up call. Did my first sprint in '08 and was sidelined most of '09 due to injury- non tri related. Ready for a great 2010!

Family Status: Happily married for 16 years, 2 children 11 and 8.

Current Training: No structured plan, strength training 3x per week, Running 3-5x a week and hitting the bike on the trainer infrequently.

2009 Races - 5k in March then sidelined

2010 Races - Half Mary in May and Oct. Targeting a 70.3 in July, a sprint in June and August.

Weightloss - 15/20 Lbs

I'm looking forward to getting my base back and building towards a HIM. I'm on BT daily (probably too much) and will post regularly.
2009-12-15 8:22 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
I'm in!!!  I'll post my bio shortly.

For everyone that doesn't know Eric, he's an awesome mentor

2009-12-15 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If there are spots still open I would like to join too.  I'm in another mentor group too and would like to be in both because I've been in my old group 3X before and i'd like to stay in touch with them but their group has gotten soooo large.  So if you'll have me I'll post my bio soon if not I totally understand.  Thanks.
2009-12-15 8:47 AM

User image

Welcome Dan, David, Kevin, Emma, Kimberly & Stanley!    Ken & Keri - welcome too

Todd & Kelli ~ what up?   I know BvD & the hibernator will join in the fun... 

I got a feeling this group is gonna be something special.... like back in the day!

Need a few more to join in the fun, so we can blow this thing up! 

Train hard~support hard, race harder~support harder, learn from all and become better in all aspects of the tri-life!   Let's get this party started!

Edited by Trin2bfast 2009-12-15 8:49 AM
2009-12-15 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2558939

Veteran
back of the pack
http://www.worldhealthclub.com/index.asp?tag=testimonial8
This little ditty won the contest for me... (no photoshop on those pictures, all me baby!)

It was 3 sessions a week for 12 weeks with a trainer plus 3 on my own, diet and cardio. I was essentially training 3-4 hours a day plus meal prep. I felt like one of the "Biggest loser" contestants. I have the actual food and workout logs somewhere if anybody wants to see them. 

By last August I had gained all plus back (goal reached, now what?) and at 34 and a bag of Dorito's away from 400, I decided to get some long term accountablity back and I had Gastric lapband surgery, I have been steady losing since then. In May I ran a 5km in 37 minutes and change with a weight of 318. The shin splints I had from lack of stretching and training had me back on the couch and the nsummer came and went. Now I have set a short term goal for the spring and a longer term for December to keep me going through the summer and fall. 

My training log is my accountabilty to myself and proof to others that I am doing what I say I am.  

Edited by loeber 2009-12-15 9:09 AM
2009-12-15 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2559374

User image

Master
Houston
Ah a swbkrun member I'm guessing? Would love to have you in the group, post your bio when you can.

trying1 - 2009-12-15 8:37 AM If there are spots still open I would like to join too.  I'm in another mentor group too and would like to be in both because I've been in my old group 3X before and i'd like to stay in touch with them but their group has gotten soooo large.  So if you'll have me I'll post my bio soon if not I totally understand.  Thanks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 220