BT Development New Products and Sales! » Racing Weight Is the First Weight-Loss Book for Endurance Athletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-14 1:50 PM

Subject: Racing Weight Is the First Weight-Loss Book for Endurance Athletes
Racing WeightBoulder, CO, USA - December 14, 2009 - VeloPress has published the first weight-loss book for endurance athletes. Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance by certified sports nutritionist Matt Fitzgerald offers the first comprehensive and science-based approach to weight management for runners, cyclists, triathletes, swimmers, rowers, and cross-country skiers.

A 2009 study found that three out of four endurance athletes are concerned about their weight and half are dissatisfied with how much they weigh. Yet these same athletes ranked weight loss dead last when asked about their motivations for participating in endurance sports. Endurance athletes pursue weight loss as a means to better workouts and faster racing. Fitzgerald's own efforts to reach his racing weight for distance running led him to discover that there were no comprehensive weight-management resources designed for endurance athletes.

Using Racing Weight, endurance athletes can find and attain their fastest body weight and composition. The Racing Weight program offers 5 strategies based on the latest advances in the science of weight management. After finding their ideal off-season and racing weights, athletes will learn how to improve their diet quality; balance their intake of carbohydrate, protein, and fat; time meals and snacks; manage appetite; and train for lean body composition.

Racing Weight is grounded in the science of healthy nutrition and exercise physiology. Packed with findings from recent studies on weight loss and endurance sports performance, Racing Weight explodes myths about fat and weight gain, protein and muscle building, macronutrient ratios, calorie counting, glycemic index, and weight gain during the holidays and off-season. Athletes will learn the truth about sports drinks, supplements, and recovery nutrition. The book includes daily food logs from 14 elite pro athletes and 21 healthy recipes from nutritionist Pip Taylor.

Racing Weight will help endurance athletes reach new levels of performance-and become satisfied with their body weight.

Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance by Matt Fitzgerald
Paperback, 6" x 9", 296 pp., $18.95 | 978-1-934030-51-6

Matt Fitzgerald is the author of numerous books on running, triathlon, nutrition, and weight loss. He has Senior Editor of Triathlete magazine and has been a contributor to Men's Fitness, Men's Health, Outside, Runner's World, Bicycling, Running Times, Women's Running, and other sports and fitness publications. Fitzgerald is a featured coach on Training Peaks and Active.com. He is a certified sports nutritionist (CISSN) licensed by the International Society of Sports Nutrition. He lives and trains in San Diego, California. For more information, please visit racingweight.com.

VeloPress is an endurance sports and fitness publisher with books on cycling, triathlon, running, swimming, nutrition and diet, yoga, and the histories and personalities of our sports. VeloPress authors are highly qualified, trusted experts. Our training books help both serious athletes and beginners to build skills and fitness, and our human-interest books inspire greater appreciation of our sports. VeloPress is the book publishing division of Competitor Group, Inc., publisher of VeloNews, Triathlete, Inside Triathlon, and Competitor magazines and producer of the Rock 'N' Roll marathon and half-marathon series and the Muddy Buddy adventure series. For more information, please visit velopress.com.

Media review copies, author interviews, sidebar content, and recipes:
Dave Trendler, Marketing and Publicity Manager, (303) 245-2138, [email protected]

Retail ordering information:
Jen Soulé, Sales Manager, (800) 811-4210 x169, [email protected]

2009-12-14 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2558175

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Racing Weight Is the First Weight-Loss Book for Endurance Athletes
Is this a program that Triathletes can use during racing season without it affecting training or race performance?
2010-02-23 5:53 PM

The idea is that triathletes can use the book to improve performance! The goal is to lose weight so you can get faster. The book shows healthy ways to lose weight and addresses how to avoid losing too much weight.

Dave Trendler
VeloPress
2010-03-10 10:15 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I got this book for Christmas and I am reading it now. Lots of good information in it!
2010-04-23 12:41 PM

Regular
Just bought this book last week. Am really enjoying all the great information in it. Packed with lots of researched based studies, for reasoning behind what the author is basing his information on.
2010-05-03 10:38 PM
in reply to: #2718439

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Is this available as an ebook for the nook through barnes and noble??  when I check it doesn't seem so..<br /><br />also are there many charts and such in the book, since those don't always transfer well in ebooks unless it comes with .pdf for the charts

2010-05-05 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
<p>I just received my copy and can't wait to read it.  I'm completely confused on how to fuel endurance sports since I am coming off a low carb way of eating.  <br /><br />During HIM training I've managed to gain 6 lbs despite the heavy training schedule!  I'm constantly starving not only from training, but from allowing limited carbs back in which are now triggering hunger and cravings and I eat like a HORSE!  The weight gain makes me want to retreat back to low carb, but then I'm afraid I'm not fueling properly and possibly eating away my own muscle tissue.  I'm not overweight, but I feel "squishy" rather than firm.<br /><br />I hope this book helps me get these few pounds back off and get my body fat % down some.</p>
2010-06-29 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
I just finished reading this book.  There's plenty of great information here!!  Content covers year round training, with and without periodization planning; supplements; training and race day nutrition; and some good info about what *you* should ideally weigh during the race season.<br /><br />I think it's a great book to have on hand.  Nutritionalist or not, noob or pro - the information is relevant for all levels of athletes.  I also like that it's not ONLY a triathlon focused book.  Content covers other endurance sports like skiing and rowing.  The good thing about reading this book as a triathlete is that all of the info also applies to our training.<br /><br />I've dog-eared several pages to read again later as refreshers.
2010-07-14 8:25 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
<p>I really liked this book when I read it, I think I will have to go read it again.  It seems to match up well with The Runner's Body..</p>
2010-07-24 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
Hi,<br /><br />I have a couple questions.  <br /><br />First:  Is this book for me?  <br /><br />Ha!  Here's some info...I am 5'9" and weigh about 153 (+/- 2lbs).  I eat several servings of fruits and vegetables a day.  I eat mostly organic foods and get my fruits and vegetables from local farms.  2 years ago I began a massive diet and exercise routine (to the above mentioned diet) and lost 60 pounds.  I am not quite lean (around 13% body fat according to old Tanita scale) but want to get there.  I'd love to get to a 6 pack by 40 (next January).  As for working out, I have not been able to do as much as I would like because of lack of time and injuries.  Since January I probably averaged swimming 1x per week, running 2-3 times a week and riding 2x a week.  <br /><br />Well, I guess that was one question.  I've been wanting to order it , but was not sure if it would be for me.  Based on the info, does it sound like it would?<br />
2010-07-26 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Just ordered a copy, hope to have it soon!

2010-07-30 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
I just ordered it as well (along with a couple others)!  Can't wait to get it!!
2010-08-03 10:35 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-03 10:36 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-04 11:51 AM

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
My copy arrived last night and I have read the first 4 chapters so far.  Very interesting read on optimum racing weight and I like the off season training and nutritional strategies contained within the book.  Can't wait to get home and read some more after training this evening.
2010-08-10 8:28 AM

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Finished the book, really enlightening and very informative.  I am hoping to give my diet a good makeover and really use the Diet Quality Scoring index as my guide.  Would strongly recommend.

2011-04-13 5:21 PM

Seattle
I can't say enough good things about this book. I read it once through and am going to read it again armed with sticky notes and highlighters!
2011-04-15 12:09 PM

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
<p>Yes, another vote here!  I LOVE this book, it has made a HUGE difference in my training and nutrition.  My copy sits right here on my computer desk, read, re-read, highlighted, tabbed and frequently referred to!</p><p>One of my best TRI related purchases yet!</p>
2013-05-28 1:49 AM
in reply to: marathongirl11

New user

The book was originally printed in 2009 and one of the things it doesn't really explore is fasted training: the basic premise is that you fuel before you train to get the best out of the workout and set up for recovery. If you're looking at setting yourself to burn fat rather than carbs, then you will have to train differently to how the book advises. However, the book is the best I've read on 'racing lean' and is top of the reading /reference pile.
New Thread
BT Development New Products and Sales! » Racing Weight Is the First Weight-Loss Book for Endurance Athletes Rss Feed