General Discussion Race Reports! » Arthritis Foundation Jingle Bell 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Arthritis Foundation Jingle Bell 5k - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
United States
Arthritis Foundation
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 5s
Overall Rank = 17/887
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/71
Pre-race routine:

Clif bar and banana at 7:30 am. Gathered the family and drove to Wash Park/South High School for packet pickup, etc.
Event warmup:

Not enough. Waited for friends to show up so I didn't get much more than maybe a 1/4 mile warmup and some easy stretching.
Run
  • 20m 5s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a basic goal of breaking 20 minutes. This would be doable on this flat course but unfortunately there was a ridiculous wind from the south and lots of snow covered and icy patches on the roads in Wash Park.

Started off near the front and ran a good hard pace. Picked off a lot of runners that went out too fast during the first mile. At about 1.5 miles we hit the north end of the park and headed back south into a killer wind: like a head down, body leaned forward type of wind. I still felt strong but it was very difficult to maintain a fast pace and there was no one I could draft off. It seemed like I gained during this stretch but it was tough. There were also a lot of stretches that were snow or ice covered that slowed things down.
Kept making ground on #1 chick but she still beat me by about 5 yards. Came through at 20:05. Go figure.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push the first part earlier when I had the wind advantage.
Post race
Warm down:

About a 2 mile cooldown.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, road conditions.

Honestly, I'm happy with this time. I have done zero speed training or tempo work since maybe January 2009. There is really no reason for me to be running any faster than I am and the fact that I'm pushing 20:00 with my current training makes me happy.

I want to try to burn up a 5k in May, when I'll have some speedwork under my belt.

Event comments:

Wasn't really sure what to think of this race going in as it seemed to be more of an "event" than a race. But there were definitely some fast people there and the race started on time. Good post race food and vendors. Too bad about the wind; it would have been a beautiful morning.

The only "bad" thing I have to say is that the miles weren't marked. And I have to say that this is starting to piss me off. It seems that at more and more races this is the trend and quite honestly, there's no reason for it. Most of these courses are USAT certified. They give finite details as to where these markers should be placed. Ugh.

Last updated: 2009-12-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:05 | 03.11 miles | 06m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/71
Overall: 17/887
Performance: Good
No mile markers. Sigh.
Course: Started in SE corner of Wash Park on Louisiana. West on Louisiana, then north on Downing. Jumped into Wash Park around 3/4 of a mile and did a big loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-12-14 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: Arthritis Foundation Jingle Bell 5k

2009-12-15 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2558183

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Arthritis Foundation Jingle Bell 5k

Great race Todd!  No wind and you would have been under 20.  I agree about the mile markers...they need to make a point in getting them up.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Arthritis Foundation Jingle Bell 5k Rss Feed