BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-04-05 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2768546

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL
eliwashere - 2010-04-05 10:30 AM Katie,
I think we can continue to use this group moving forward. When the next mentor thing comes around, I am going to sign up again.

By the way, I was thinking about your question about your HR.
1. How did you determine your HR zones?
VO2 max testing at a gym (with the attractive mask).  This past time I did the test on a spin bike and then they added an arbitrary number to approximate my running HR zones
2. How long are you in Z3? If you spend most of your time in Z2, you are still OK.
I'm still spending most of the time in Z3.  I can keep it in Z2 on a flat route with my HR alarm set to remind me to back off but I turn off the alarm on my normal routes, which are hilly, because it gets ANNOYING and I may not have people to ride with for much longer if I don't Smile
3. How long are the rides? Over a  certain amount of time, your HR will go up, it is called cardiac creep.
Ah yes, I forgot about that.  My longest rides have been around 3 hrs.  It is hard to observe a linear trend on a hilly route.  I actually start to set off my HR alarm pretty quickly so, for now, I think it is still the issue of training myself to stay in that zone and not so much the creep. 

I do need to get my HR under control since my Ironman is not a flat course by any means.  So, while I'm abandoning the HR alarm thing for now, I'm still going to try to work on staying in the zone.  I've read about a lot of people who feel like Zone 2 is just painfully easy.  I think it'll just take some time to adjust to.  I'm going to let it go as a priority for my shorter ride (the 22 mile one) and try to focus on it for my long ride each week.

2010-04-05 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2558725

User image

Master
Katie,
1st of all, I am jealous you had V02 max testing done. I have been ballparking it with my HR monitor and a spin bike.
2nd of all, if your Z2 is feeling to easy, I wouldn't worry about being in Z3. Eventually your body will get used to the effort.
I don't have a lot of experience with hills, but I doubt I could stay in Z2 on a hill anyway.

And...
How is the volume going? 
2010-04-07 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2770157

User image

Expert
Volume is going well.  I did a relatively agressive brick last night (because everyone else ate their Wheaties that morning and wanted to push it) and probably wasn't in Zone 2 for more than a couple of minutes.  I feel significantly more beat down today than I normally do.  That must be why they try to get you to keep it is Zone 2 during Ironman training.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL Rss Feed  

of 13