General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
49F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 08m 51s
Overall Rank = 3558/8364
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 318/914
Pre-race routine:

Came into this race not as trained as I would have liked to be. My last triathlon of the season was on Oct. 25, a 70.3. Took a week off after that and then eased back into running. Had some good volume weeks after that, but I wasn't running nearly as fast as I intended to.

My super dooooper goal is to break 2 hours in a half marathon. My PR is 2:05:02 (May 2009) and I did this course last year in 2:12 and some change. In the back of my mind I thought maybe I could break 2 hours since I was "well rested" and this was the last race of the season.

Since Tom and I didn't really know anyone else racing, despite the 20,000 entrants, we headed down to Dallas by ourselves Saturday morning. Went straight to the Expo, shopped around and got all our race packet stuffs. Checked into the hotel and I was just glad to have a room with all of the hotels.com drama just 3 days prior. The hotel was pretty posh, it was definitley not a "race" hotel. But we were just glad to be 0.7 miles from the start line and only paying half of the outrageous room rate they usually charge.

We got chauferred (literally) by the hotel chaufer to a Mexican restaurant they recommended (Matito's) and had some of the best Mexi-noms I think I've ever had. YOM! Walked back to the hotel, showered, and laid out the race clothes before getting some Z's.
Event warmup:

Since we were walking to the race site, we didn't have to get up very early at all. I ate a gluten free bagel right before we walked out the door - just after 7 a.m.

It was 49 degrees out and I was wearing capri running tights, a sleeveless technical tank, arm warmers, gloves, and a wicking headband (which started over my ears). I figured if I got warm I could take off the gloves and the arm warmers - good decisions here!

We got to the start line with PLENTY of time to walk around, find our coralls, and hang out. Tom headed off to start in the "A" corrall, while I found the 2:00 pace group. The goal was to start with them and hang on for as long as I could. I was pretty optomistic about hanging with them, at least for most of the way. Ate about half of a GU while I finished the coffee I'd grabbed from the hotel. Chatted with some ladies around me while we waited for the gun to go off. After it did, it took us about 8 minutes to get to the start line. I started my Garmin and off we went!
Run
  • 2h 08m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The pace group leader had mentioned the first mile or two might be a tad slower due to the crowds, but that they'd strive to keep an even 9:08 or 9:09 pace. After we crossed the start line they immediately got 4 or 5 people deep, ahead of me. I figured that was okay especially considering the 20,000 people around us! I kept them about this distance for the first mile, bobbing and weaving around the masses of people. I ran Mile 1 in 9:14.

Mile 2 the pace group got a little farther ahead and I kept getting stuck behind packs of slower people. I tried SO hard to get around them and the pacers kept getting farther and farther away. I was literally sprinting to keep up with them! I didn't think I would be able to keep this pace but tried my damndest. I didn't know it at the time, but I ran Mile 2 in 8:45! No wonder I couldn't keep up with the pace group - they were running faster than 8:45s! Booooo.

After that, the pacers got so far ahead of me I couldn't even see them anymore. Got pretty discouraged at that, but just decided to do my best from this point forward. I slowed down at the aid stations to grab some water or Gatorade - kinda difficult to grab anything since people would literally stop right in front of you. I almost tripped over some people more than once!

Don't remember a whole lot of details from Miles 3 till about 9 - except that I had to pee and my stomach felt really full. I think eating my bagel right before the start was too soon; usually I eat it 2 or 3 hours before a race. But anyway, I had just decided to enjoy the race, look around, soak in all of the big-race atmosphere; high five the kiddos and smile a lot. I was reading all of the signs and posters out there and LOLing at a lot of them! Lots of Tiger Woods references and even a Chuck Norris one! Funny stuff. Never too the GU I had in my back pocket since my tummy was still feeling "full" even 2/3s of the way through the race.

Around mile 9 I heard someone say "Go Kansas!" and I thought "did they mean me? How do they know I'm from Kansas?" and figured it was just a fluke I'd heard that. Found out today it was a few BTers! How coooool!

I think it's around mile 10 there is a longish out and back section where on the first part you can see people ahead of you coming the other way, and when you turn around you can see people behind you. On the "out" part, I noticed the 2:00 pace group WAAAAAY ahead. They were almost done with that stretch! This depressed me a little. I made the turn around and noticed the 2:10 pace group was a little ways behind me. Oh good... as long as I can stay ahead of them I will feel better about this race! They passed me about half a mile later :(. Damn I really did not think I was going this slow and even according to my Garmin I was surprised to see the 2:10 group passing me already! I picked up the pace and really tried to stay with them, and I did for maybe a mile.

Now my bad knee started hurting as it usually does around this time of a half marathon. Sometime in Mile 12 it twinged so bad I limped and hopped around a little and I know I made some audible squeals. Baaah! Run through it. Mile 12 seemed SOOOO long. Incredibly long. It just wouldn't end.

OK now I'm on the last mile! I can do anything for a mile - even though my legs were hurting pretty bad at this point I picked the pace up as much as I could. I looked down at my watch after it seemed like forever and it said 13.12 miles and I wasn't done! I had noticed the mile markers seemed long the entire race but assumed it would catch back up eventually - guess not.

Coming into the finish chute there were TONS of people and it was amazing! Boogied it to the finish line and I was done. Garmin read 13.28 miles and I finished in 2:08 despite the 2:10 pace group having ran completely out of my sights more than a mile before the finish line. A big "WTF" to that!

9:14
8:45 (trying to catch the 2:00 pace group)
9:19
10:01 (gave up on catching the pace group)
9:59
9:58
9:51
10:07
10:00
9:32 (trying to keep up with the 2:10 pace group)
9:49
9:48
What would you do differently?:

Just run faster :)
Post race
Warm down:

Wished I would have grabbed a space blanket but the line was so long and the volunteers were really struggling to open the boxes so I just went to the shirts and medals. Yay for a women's cut size XS technical tee! Found Tom in just a few minutes since we had a pre-designated meeting place. He gave me his space blanket thank goodness - I was REALLY cold.

Got some Gatorade but Tom told me there was no food I could eat in the food area so we just left. I felt bad about leaving since it was such a big cool race and I'm sure there were big cool things going on in the AA center and at the finish line, but we just kinda wanted to go back to the hotel.

After an awesome hot shower we headed to a sports bar to watch the Bronco's game. Somehow I got talked into wearing a Bronco's jersey along with Tom. We were cute, I promise. :) On the way to the sports bar, someone felt it was necessary to roll down the window and yell some obscinities at us while they drove past... and shortly after that a huge truck almost ran us over (pretty intentional "close call") as we crossed a parking lot on the sidewalk! Boooo crazy people in Texas! I know they are not all like that because the first bar we went to didn't have the game but the bartender actually directed us to another bar with the NFL ticket - my faith was immediately restored in Texans :)

After a great time at the bar and some greasy bar food and a bunch of beers, we took a nap at the hotel, wathed a bunch of TV, completely relaxed, and then headed out for some really fabulous sushi. Had a great night's sleep, slept in a little Monday morning and then headed back to Kansas. What an awesome weekend - I'm so glad I got to spend it with Tom :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My slow-ness.

Event comments:

White Rock is a huge race! I really enjoyed it this year since we were able to walk from the hotel to the start line and didn't have to park or deal with traffic. Tons of crowds and live music makes this a really fun race, if you don't mind bobbing and weaving around the other 20,000 people on the course.

Last updated: 2009-09-25 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:51 | 13.1 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 318/914
Overall: 3558/8364
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-12-14 9:22 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon

2009-12-15 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2558927

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon
I swear we probably ran within 25 feet of each other the whole race!

I remember when the 2:00 pace group passed me... it was around mile 3? I thought about catching on with them but knew it was too fast so I let them go. I never remember seeing the 2:10 pace group though. Ha!

Oh, you didn't miss anything by leaving after the race. Nothing was going on in the AA center. The "party" was the corral where they were handing out the food and had the band on stage.

And for the record, I think your pace was great! Of course, I'm biased.

Great job and thanks for coming to Dallas to race! Sorry about the a-holes after the race when you went to the bar! There are some redneck a-holes around here.

2009-12-15 2:11 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Yea... for coming down to dallas to do a race...  

sorry that knee always bothers you

YEA !!!  for the great mexican food you had

I can't believe this little race has gotten so big

2009-12-16 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Great job at the race Lisa! I'm glad things got settled with the hotel and everything worked out for you.

Sounds like they need to find new pacers though. Ones who actually run the pace they are supposed to.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed