General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dangers of Running in 3rd world Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2009-12-15 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Dangers of Running in 3rd world
Ok, so vacation coming up to Costa Rica.  I have a few runs planned...the longest is 10 miles.  I thought no big deal, just strap on the Garmin and start running and enjoy it.  My wife brought the fact that running around a 3rd world country with what looks to be expensive clthing, shoes, gps...may not be the best idea.

Suggestions?

I figure by the time someone decides to do anything I will be past them...and besides the Foder's book say's Tico's are ridiculously nice people.

I could only imagine a "Hostel" type situation.

2009-12-15 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2559671

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Dangers of Running in 3rd world

Run without the Garmin and just go for time, bag the run if the area that you're in doesn't "feel" right, or if you're staying at a resort, limit the run to their grounds.   

2009-12-15 10:20 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Scope out the area when you get there. ... if you are concerned, make your 10 mile 5 1-mile out and backs.
2009-12-15 10:28 AM

User image

Regular
Manhattan, NY
Costa Rica hardly is "third world." Its actually a pretty developed place and overall very friendly. Where exactly will you be? Most of the places foreigners stay are actually in really nice beach areas and out of the cities. For instance, if you were in San Jose, I would maybe just check with your hotel before going out if there are any nearby areas you should avoid, and I would definitely just be careful making those runs at night in the city.

Outside of the city, I'm going to err on the side of caution for running at night, but even in most parts of Costa Rica I have traveled through, I wouldn't fear for my safety, but more for fear of getting lost. Costa Rica is a beautiful country and I think your biggest safety/theft fears are going to be on the beaches.

Before you travel anywhere, be sure to look up on ** travel.state.gov ** for more information about a country you are visiting. They report on every country in the world, its safety, entry requirements, etc... Though in my opinion at times can overstate risks out of saving their own liability.

Costa Rica is a great country, Tico's are super friendly, and I wouldn't let this fear of leaving your resort walls keep you from exploring. If you stay at the resort, you will miss the whole reason for coming to Costa Rica in the first place! Afterall, Costa Rica is so safe, they haven't had a military since their 1948 civil war! Enjoy Costa Rica and be sure to enjoy that vacation a little as well!

Edited by triscott26 2009-12-15 10:32 AM
2009-12-15 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Barrington, IL
I was thinking more of a "Turistas" situation.

Lose a Kidney but see Melissa George naked all day - not a bad vacation all in all!
2009-12-15 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Hi Sax,

I lived in Costa Rica for 2.5 years so I speak with a bit of knowledge on this matter.  Unless you are running in San Jose, you have absolutely nothing to worry about on a personal safety level.  Outside of San Jose, crime is rare (especially any sort of violent crime).

Your workout clothes and gear won't be all that out of the ordinary- there are a TON of Ticos that participate in cycling, running and even mutli-sport.  Cycling in particular is rather popular in Costa Rica.  A Gringo clad in spandex with a big watch on his wrist probably won't raise too many eyebrows...it's not like you're going to Angola.

Depending on where you'll be your biggest worry will either be traffic or the sun and heat.  If you are confined to a busy road, good luck - Ticos are insane motorists.

If you're going to a resort, I'd encourage you to get out and engage with some locals in a non-tourist setting (eg. a restaurant in town), especially if you speak Spanish.  Ticos are generally very polite, friendly and generous people.

If you want advice on where to go in the Central or South Pacific or the Central Highlands, feel free to get in touch. 

2009-12-15 10:56 AM

User image

Master
This is more to appease my wife.  I actually live and workout in Los Angeles, so I am certain it will be safer than this environment. 

I will be staying in a rain forest on the east side, then heading to the pacific for some beach time.  I'll skip the spandex this trip.

Thanks for the reply's.
2009-12-15 11:04 AM

User image

Elite
I ran in Guyana, South America.  Very third world.  I wouldn't have wanted to run through Georgetown (basically the only real city in the country) but I found a park to run in.  I just did a bunch of laps around the park and never felt like I was in a bad situation.  I did hear a few "go white boy" remarks, but that was it.
2009-12-15 11:39 AM

User image

Your real danger is the roads. I don't think I saw a single flat road with a shoulder the entire time. From San Jose to Arenal to Puntarenas.

Costa Rica's a great country, not third world by any stretch. The roads are generally cleaner than most roads around here, with all our trash
2009-12-15 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
When my wife and I went to Mexico, we rented a car early in our stay, and found some decent areas to run while we were exploring. And then, we NEVER ran alone.

Have fun!!! Stay safe!
2009-12-15 11:55 AM

New user
Just like any where else;

KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING.  There are many parts of the states I would not go for a run in.

Just because the "tourist" area you are at is safe, many times going a block or two out of those areas can very unsafe.  Ask locals where it is safe to run and not.  Many get a false sense of security because these tourist areas can be clean, safe, and friendly when the surrounding area may not be.

Like I said, this is no different then here in the states.

Edited by JC5066 2009-12-15 11:58 AM

2009-12-15 11:59 AM

User image

Greetings from a Tico

My friend, I am a Costa Rican and have lived here my entire life (27 years and counting...). Costa Rica is very developed and I estimate we are in a transition to become a more developed country (stop being 3rd world).

I must confess that there are places here where I would not run, but tourists never go to these places. You will probably stay in a fancy hotel at the beach, so you have nothing to worry about except the stupid drivers. keep an eye on cars, here in Costa Rica people is not that educated in terms of driving, so you better be careful with it.

I enjoy runnign on Costa Rican beaches, they are beautiful.

Edited by esanchi 2009-12-15 12:00 PM
2009-12-15 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI

I've got a little experience running running in other countries over the last 20 years, with a few of those countries being considered less-than-developed at the time (China, Guatemala, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia).  It was a personal goal to run in each one.

First, although I haven't been to Costa Rica, it doesn't exactly have a bad reputation.  Quite the opposite from what I have heard.

Second, running in a foreign country to me is exhilarating and can sometimes be scary (just being honest) but has always been a really nice way to visit a country from a perspective that few American travellers will see.  I highly recommend it.

You have to take precautions.  Here are some suggestions...

--Carry a laminated copy of your passport, but not the original, which you leave in a safe.

--Don't bother wearing your Garmin.  In general, runners in others countries don't dress as flashy as American triathletes, in my opinion.

--Carry your own bottled water.

--Carry some cash for a cab, if needed. 

--Run with a partner. 

--Talk to the hotel concierge, trusted locals or to the guy on BT who lived in Costa Rica for two years and get a game plan and map your routes.

--Carry the map with your route with you on the run and include the name and address of your hotel (in English and in the local language if they use a different alphabet).  Let your wife have a copy of the route you plan to run. 

--Try not to run out at night unless its very public and you know exactly where you are going (I got hopelessly lost at night once (no map) and it was an exceptionally nice cabbie who got me back - having cash helped.  My imagination made it worse, but it was scary nonetheless.)

I've got a writer I would recommend for you named Randy Wayne White who used to write for Outside magazine.  He has a few really good books on his travels (An American Traveler, Last Flight Out, Batfishing in the Rainforest, and The Sharks of Lake Nicaragua).  A few of his stories are about running in foreign lands.  Very funny and good reading while abroad.

Enjoy.

2009-12-15 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2559840

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

sax - 2009-12-15 10:56 AM This is more to appease my wife.  I actually live and workout in Los Angeles, so I am certain it will be safer than this environment. 

I will be staying in a rain forest on the east side, then heading to the pacific for some beach time.  I'll skip the spandex this trip.

Thanks for the reply's.

That's funny--from the replies by people with experience in Costa Rica, you're probably spot-on

2009-12-15 1:37 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
I was recently in Panama, which is Costa Rica's "sister" country.

I was running ALOT while there (mostly rural) with my Garmin and my bright orange newton's and not once did I even get a look. I think the city itself would be a different story.

Costa Rica and Panama are probably more like "2nd world" countries...Very, very modern city life and not so modern rural life...

My guess is that you'd be fine...Probably more of a danger of getting lost if you run far...
2009-12-15 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2560352

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I just wanted to reiterate some advice that might be have been ignored, here.  Ask the hotel people for advice, they wouldn't send you anywhere that would turn out badly for you (crime or injury) to protect their rep.  Have fun!

2009-12-15 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2560448

User image

Master
BikerGrrrl - 2009-12-15 12:08 PM

I just wanted to reiterate some advice that might be have been ignored, here.  Ask the hotel people for advice, they wouldn't send you anywhere that would turn out badly for you (crime or injury) to protect their rep.  Have fun!

I will definitely do that.  Thanks for all the advice peeps.  I can't wait to get there!!!

2009-12-15 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Costa Rica is a great place to visit. Some of the best vacations I've ever had. Like others said, the roads a bit rough, bumpy and not well marked in some places. Be aware of crazy drivers and blind corners, be ready to jump into a ditch if you have to.

I rented a mountain bike from the hotel and took a little ride along a dirt road all of sudden about 20 or 30 dump trucks come roaring down the road (little did I know, there was a huge quarry up there). The drivers looked at me like I was insane.

Costa Rica is a great country to visit, you will love it. Pacific, Caribbean, Volcanoes, Rain Forests, Cloud Forests, interesting plant and animal life, good people. Awesome place.
2009-12-15 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2560352

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
tri_d00d - 2009-12-15 2:37 PM I was running ALOT while there (mostly rural) with my Garmin and my bright orange newton's and not once did I even get a look.

Hehe!  I'm not quite sure anyone would be silly enough to steal newtons.

I travel extensively, and I've always found useful to see if there's a running club where you're going...join up for a few runs. And in lieu of that, might be able to ask the concierge at whatever hotel if there's a local track you can use OR places to avoid. I've found them to be helpful.

Running on the beach sounded like a great idea, too. Just watch the landsharks.

2009-12-15 3:18 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I used to go to Toluca, Mexico, on business and was cautioned by the concierge at our hotel not to run in the evening outside if the hotel grounds.

I took a cruise to the western Caribbean last February and we were cautioned not to wander away from the main tourist areas of Belize City because of problems they were having with crime against tourists.

I've run a lot when I've traveled to Europe and Asia.  Besides Mexico and Belize, the only other places I've felt uncomfortable were in downtown Bangkok and Manilla.

The worst place I've ever been for pickpockets was in Amsterdam.

Mark

2009-12-15 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2560635

User image

Master
RedCorvette - 2009-12-15 1:18 PM

...The worst place I've ever been for pickpockets was in Amsterdam...

NOOOO!   Not the gels!

2009-12-15 10:05 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
Costa Rica 3rd world??? Who told you that? It is one of the safest countries we've travelled to (just got back from our third trip) Hopefully you are not going to an all inclusive...you will really miss what it is all about. The only odd thing I had happen on a run was spooking up a wild boar that was behind a tree as I ran past.Monkeys in the trees have yelled at me also. Now, San Jose? Probably not so much. Jungle and beach roads, go for it! And yes, I run alone.
2009-12-18 4:25 AM

New user

Casselberry, Florida
Gold member

I was there on a surf trip a few years ago.  Like others have said, Ticos are really friendly.  We never felt uncomfortable or any bad vibes from anyone.  The main thing was that we would leave nothing in the rental car when surfing and would leave the windows down. 

You are going to have a blast there.  You mentioned you were going with you wife, if you get a chance check out this place http://www.tabacon.com/
2009-12-18 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Pura Vida!
2009-12-18 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2566379

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Not sure why some object to the statement of Costa Rica being a 3rd World country. It's not a personal slight or any sort of comment on the beauty or necessarily safety of the country.  It's just an term referring to the development (economic and other factors?) of the country.  I did very poorly in Economics class or I'd explain that better... but I just had to mention it.

Edit: Found this good description on http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/General/ThirdWorld_def.html...

"The underdevelopment of the third world is marked by a number of common traits; distorted and highly dependent economies devoted to producing primary products for the developed world and to provide markets for their finished goods; traditional, rural social structures; high population growth; and widespread poverty. Nevertheless, the third world is sharply differentiated, for it includes countries on various levels of economic development. And despite the poverty of the countryside and the urban shantytowns, the ruling elites of most third world countries are wealthy."

This is very common in resorty sort of places and their dependence on visitors.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2009-12-18 12:13 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dangers of Running in 3rd world Rss Feed  

of 1