United States
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 48m 2s
Overall Rank = 982/8365
Age Group = m 40-44
Age Group Rank = 110/529
Pre-race routine:

Got up at around 5:20 to dress and eat before being picked up by carpool for drive to Dallas.
Event warmup:

tried to stay indoors at the AAC until heading to the "A" corral for the start. Saw some friends, hooked up with some running partners, the usual.
Run
  • 1h 48m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I was seeded in the A corral for some reason and I took advantage of not having to fight through a lot of people for clear air at a decent pace. I realized I could run consistently in the high 7s and low 8s due to the cool weather. It was foggy/humid, though, and I quickly shed the tech T to run in the singlet I was wearing underneath. I like this technique - it's either a base layer if things are cold, or my running layer if things get too warm. I don't like to run shirtless - and people don't like to see me running shirtless. I got into a steady rhythm and kept pushing. The website shows I ran the first 10k (8:23 pace) and then the next 4 miles (8:20 pace) at the same speed, but that I finished my last 3 miles (7:50 pace) a bit faster. That jives with what I was feeling. I realized at about mile 11 that I had a chance to go under 1:50 so I set that as a goal and pushed for it. Through my office and BT, I saw several folks I know out on the course, and in that crowd, that was something. My running buddies, however, were never to be seen since they were pushing mid 7s from the get-go.
What would you do differently?:

Considering that I PR'd by several minutes, I'd have to say nothing at the moment.
Post race
Warm down:

It was a madhouse at the finish. I grabbed a space blanket, my finishers shirt and medal and kind of wandered around until I saw the familiar Iowa Hawkeyes logo on DocShock. We hung for several minutes and many BTers came by, as well as the friends I'd been looking for. Kind of crazy that in all those people, a half dozen managed to run into us. Good to see DGillen, Sue and Reagan, too. It's been a while

What limited your ability to perform faster:

that little nagging knee thing and my hamstrings being slightly tight. I've got to stretch better.

Event comments:

the food sucked. The bagels were plain and partially frozen. There was no warm food at all.

Last updated: 2009-12-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:48:02 | 13.1 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 110/529
Overall: 982/8365
Performance: Good
Course: city streets for about 10 miles and the last 3 or so on the Katy Trail which had a softer running surface.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes