General Discussion Race Reports! » Mistletoe State Park: Tri The Parks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mistletoe State Park: Tri The Parks - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Appling, GA
United States
Tri Blue Sky
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 22s
Overall Rank = 156/384
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/19
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at a Holiday Inn about 20 minutes away from the park. I woke up at 4:30am, went outside to see the weather and did a very quick jog to get my blood flowing. Then I went in, took a shower, ate some gel and got ready to leave for the race. I have started taking some Imodium AD, to make sure my stomach behaves itself during races.
Event warmup:

We got to the race site pretty early. We got marked up and got our timing chip and then set up my transition area. I went for a quick jog and then a quick bike and then hit the restroom one more time. Then I reported to the lake, hopped (actually I slipped going in) and then swam around for a minute or two and then the race began.
Swim
  • 16m 57s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first open water swim. I was a bit nervous going into the lake water. It was cold at first, but then as soon as we started, it felt good and I tried to focus on my training and trust in it. I beat my goal by 3 minutes, one of my best 600m performances to date. Was a little crowded in the first couple minutes of the race, but then people started to spread out a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Overall it was a great swim. I would maybe push myself a bit harder. I was trying to hold back to make sure that I would make it through the whole swim, but I think I could have gone faster and still made it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

As soon as we got out of the lake, we had to go uphill to the transition area. It took me longer than I thought to get back to my spot. I think once I got to my bike, my changing was quick. I was able to get my socks on fast and then everything was easy.

Run harder to the transition area. Buy a tri suit and bike shoes so I don't have to worry about drying myself off to get my shirt and shoes on.
Bike
  • 42m 36s
  • 11.6 miles
  • 16.34 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a hard ride for me. The course was pretty challenging with the hill to flat road ratio. This was my first ride on my Cannondale and I had some issues adjusting to the difference. I got past by a whole lot of people. But overall, I still met my goal which was 43 minutes or faster. I wanted to avg at least 17mph and I just missed that goal.

Train on more hills to get used to changing gears more efficiently.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Easy transition, my running shoes were already on and my bike position was right in front of the running start line. Could not have done it any faster.
Run
  • 26m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I was not expecting a train run, it was a very challenging start. The trails were really slippery from all the rain the night before. At one point the hill was so high and slippery, it was hard to even keep a grip running up. As soon as I hit the streets it was home base again. I think the trail slowed down my progress, but overall I thought I pushed myself much better on this run than my previous tri.

Push harder through the trail run.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing specifics. Stopped running, got some water and a bagle and waited for my cousins to cross the finish line.

Event comments:

Good challening course. They could use some more activites to make it a more festive event.

Last updated: 2005-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:57 | 600 meters | 02m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/384
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Triangle shape course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:42:36 | 11.6 miles | 16.34 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: The course went around Mistletoe State Park. It had more hills than I was used.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:03 | 03.1 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Course: It was a challening run. First 1/2 mile was a trail run, then next 3/4 mile was on the street, then back to the trail for 1/4 of a mile and the final 1.5 miles was on the street.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-06 5:13 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Mistletoe State Park: Tri The Parks

2005-06-06 6:09 PM
in reply to: #169831

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Mistletoe State Park: Tri The Parks
Nice race!  1st OW swim, 1st time on the bike....I was waiting for you to say you were running in new shoes too!  All kidding aside, you should be proud!
2005-06-06 7:40 PM
in reply to: #169831

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Wow, did you come from Texas to do this race? We all definitely missed a chance for a BT get together. Great race! We have opposite areas to work on; me my run, you your swim but our overall times only differed by your longer T1. I walked that big trail hill it was amazingly steep.
2005-06-07 1:12 AM
in reply to: #169874

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Thanks for the post. I was happy with my results, but still pushing to get faster times!
2005-06-07 1:14 AM
in reply to: #169925

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
JT,

Yeah, I came from TX, I did the race with 2 of my cousins who live in Smyrna, GA. Our new years resolution was to do a tri together. It was a fun day...but I agree...not enough water stops in the run and not impressed with the post-race activities/food. I think I was one of those who "ran" up that big hill, I was trying to go faster...but it felt like I was crawling. Yeah I need to work on my Transition, especially out of the water. All in all, I enjoyed the race day and experience!

Anant
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mistletoe State Park: Tri The Parks Rss Feed