General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming back from an injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-06 6:59 PM

Subject: Coming back from an injury
Everything was going fine with my training (3 months) until 2 weeks ago when I developed a hip injury which prevented me from running. My Doc adjusted my femur back into place. It is still sore but I was thinking of trying to run again. Yesterday, I hurt my knee (same leg) while I was gardening. My first tri (sprint) is 2 months away. I am wondering if I should completely rest my injuries before starting back or should I be trying to do some walking or light running. If I wait too long I am concerned I won't be able to build back up to the appropriate conditioning. Any thoughts would be appreciated. --- Thanks!!

Also I am confused about when to ice or use warmth to help recovery.

2005-06-06 7:25 PM
in reply to: #169898

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Coming back from an injury
The old rule of thumb for ice versus heat has been "ice only for the first 48 hours" and then alternate ice and heat". Try ice for 20 minutes, then off for 40 minutes, repeat a few times. As far as training goes, what did your doc say you could do? It sounds like swimming could be okay, but I would ask before you do anything. I train at a gym that has a few treadmills in the indoor lap pool. I would have used those when I was injured, but I chose to sit around and feel sorry for myself and drink Johnny Walker instead. I wouldn't recommend that.... One piece of advice that I can't stress enough: if they give you any type of phyical therapy, follow it religiously. That's helped me after each of my seven knee surgeries. Good luck! I hope everything works out for you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming back from an injury Rss Feed