United States
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 12s
Overall Rank = 245/738
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/37
Pre-race routine:

Two slices of cold pizza, then the 80 minute drive to the race.
Event warmup:

Stay warm by standing on the downwind side of the crowd. Sustained winds at race time were 28mph, gusting to 35+.
Run
  • 28m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Crowded, but a nice challenging course (for a Florida 5k). Started out easy and didn't bother wasting energy trying to get through the crowd. Passed the first mile marker with 11:17 on the race clock. Picked up to race pace from there. Mile marker #2 came at 20:00. #3 was 29:25.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front.
Post race
Warm down:

Pancakes, croissant and a banana while hearing the raffle numbers called for the two tickets immediately before me and the one immediately after.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Wasn't looking to have a great time here, just to have fun.

Event comments:

HUGE lines for check-in and pick up. I got there more than an hour before the race, parked close, and only had 5 minutes to spare before the scheduled race beginning. They delayed the start about 15 minutes in an attempt to get the hundreds of people still waiting in line checked in and chipped. It seems that they had a huge number of people register in the last few days (~40% of the total racers). Thus, the bathrooms of the facility were woefully insufficient to handle the crowds. If they can get the check in issues fixed and some port-a-johns at the start line (and maybe at the 5k turnaround too), this will be a very nice event.

Originally had planned some OWS with Renee following the race, but the red flag and high surf warnings (sustained winds over 30mph from the west all night) nixed that plan.

Last updated: 2009-12-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:59 | 03.11 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/37
Overall: 37/738
Performance: Good
Course: From the north end of Coachman Park, over the bridge. Turn around at the first break in the median and right back over the bridge again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-12-20 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL
Subject: Say No To Drugs Holiday Classic

2009-12-21 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2570254

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Say No To Drugs Holiday Classic
Congrats on your race!

Sorry we missed each other. That wind was crazy but once I was (FINALLY) on my way I didn't think about it much.  I think I'd like to do the 10k next year (and arrive at 630am for packet pickup); I really liked the course.

Let me know when you want to reschedule an OWS. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Say No To Drugs Holiday Classic Rss Feed