General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best way to bu a new bike-piece by piece or complete? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-22 8:44 AM

User image

nj
Subject: best way to bu a new bike-piece by piece or complete?
A few things I should say to begin with...
#1- Right now I have a Schwinn Fastback Comp Road bike. Its a great beginner bike, and I've done lots of training and a tri on it. I actually passed plenty of high end carbon fiber bikes during my tri. I am a believer that it is the human that makes the difference, and not the equipment (though good gear helps!)

#2- I am an ebay addict ( I almost always get things for a fraction of the cost of retail stores)

#3- I am a patient guy, and I know I don't really need to upgrade just as of yet.

SO, with that said, what is the most economical, but still the best way to buy a new, high quality road bike? As one complete bike, or part by part through ebay/craigslist and stuff like that?

I am thinking of a Trek Madone, within about 1.5-2 years.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by pk_drums 2009-12-22 8:46 AM

2009-12-22 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2572715

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: best way to bu a new bike-piece by piece or complete?
I would actually go to some local bike shops and see if they have spare parts around or in some cases, when a new bike is bought or someone goes for a fitting, some parts come off a bike, like seats, handlebars etc. These parts are probably sitting in a corner with a retailer too busy to put on EBAY. It costs nothing to ask and then you can build a relationship if they have the parts.
2009-12-22 9:12 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Plenty of reason to build a bike from scratch, saving money probably isn't one of them. Bike manufacturers buy components in huge quantities and get favorable pricing because of it.

Yeah, maybe if you spent a lot of time perusing ebay you could put together a Franken-bike for marginally less than new. But you have to ask, what is your time worth?

That said, I did manage to build a Litespeed Blade frame with Ultegra components for less than $1,700, about a third of what it went for new. But that was with a 5-yo frame.
2009-12-22 9:27 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
How does that Johnny Cash song go... "I got it one piece at a time...and it didn't cost me a dime."

Not quite, but I'd much rather build it myself instead of paying the LBS' ridiculous overhead. I don't mind somebody making some money off of me, but I do mind them trying to pay every employee a bonus off my gruppo purchase.
2009-12-22 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2572867

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
I saved a ton of money by purchasing of Craigslist, BT and ST.  All 3 are normally cheaper than e-bay.
2009-12-22 10:05 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Rather than saying "a ton of money," why not quantify it for the OP? What did you end up with, how much did it cost, and how much would you have had to pay for a new complete bike?
Leegoocrap - 2009-12-22 9:27 AM How does that Johnny Cash song go... "I got it one piece at a time...and it didn't cost me a dime."

Not quite, but I'd much rather build it myself instead of paying the LBS' ridiculous overhead. I don't mind somebody making some money off of me, but I do mind them trying to pay every employee a bonus off my gruppo purchase.

But he's not talking about a groupo purchase, he's asking about a complete bike. Of course the LBS is going to have a good markup on components. On new bikes, not so much.

2009-12-22 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
If you're talking low/mid-level bikes, then you probably won't be able to recognize significant savings building from scratch vs. buying complete. There's only so much of a discount you can take off a $20 part. However, if you're going for bling, piece-by-piece can net you monster discounts off retail. In other words, the higher the retail price, the more likely you'll score savings. I build all my bikes, and typically save 40-60% off retail. Case in point, my latest build is a Time VXRS. That frame alone usually retails for over $4K. Whole bike built for less than that.

It takes time, but it's definitely worth it. Besides the $ savings, it's great being able to pick the parts YOU want and not what the LBS is forced to bundle up.
2009-12-22 10:55 AM

Veteran
I built a Softride Rocket 3 years ago and built a total bike for appox. 2300.00 and except for the brakes every part was brand new in the box. The bike would have retailed for over 6500.00 for the parts I used. All Durace 10speed with FSA carbon cranks, etc. This was done totally on ebay. I had the local LBS build it. Since I am not mechanically inclined my main fear was buying incompatible parts, but fortunately my local LBS and I have a great relationship and he made sure each item I purchased would be compatilble. It took me around 5 months from start to finish.
2009-12-22 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2572991

User image

Champion
the bear - 2009-12-22 11:05 AM Rather than saying "a ton of money," why not quantify it for the OP? What did you end up with, how much did it cost, and how much would you have had to pay for a new complete bike?
Leegoocrap - 2009-12-22 9:27 AM How does that Johnny Cash song go... "I got it one piece at a time...and it didn't cost me a dime."

But he's not talking about a groupo purchase, he's asking about a complete bike. Of course the LBS is going to have a good markup on components. On new bikes, not so much.

Touche

Just pulled this out of a previous post where I listed this when asked a similar question.

New Planet-x frame 800
Used PowerTap laced to Mavic open Pro rear wheel 500  (from ST)
Used Specialized Tri-Spoke front wheel 300 (from BT)
New Wheelbuilder wheelcover for rear wheel 80
E-Bay Cockpit (cables, DA shifters, vision basebar and vision aerobars) 150
Used Dura Ace FD 75 (from ST)
New Dura Ace FD 40 (PBK)
Used Ultegra brakes 60 (from ST)
Used Ultegra Cranks w/bottom bracket 50 (from ST)
New Dura Ace chain 25? can't remember how much (PBK)

Total price $2080 With $880 of that being wheels.

2009-12-22 2:53 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I have built two bikes primarily using eBay, BT and ST classifieds.

The first was a Leader 730TT which I built for under $1000CDN (exchange was around .90 at the time) using a combination of lightly used and NOS parts.  The drivetrain was a combo of 105 and Ultegra with a 9 speed SRAM cassette and 7 speed bar cons (friction mode).  I have since upgraded several parts (race wheels, wheel cover, FSA pursuit bar, T2 aerobars, FSA aero chainrings, DA RD, 10 speed bar cons and PD QSC levers).  All told, I believe I am just over $2000 for my race day setup.

The second (almost done) is a Norco CRR1M6 frame with DA (10 sp Ultegra brifters and cassette) which has been almost entirely from the BT and ST classifieds and right now I am just under $1100CDN.  Most of my drivetrain has been lightly used but still in good condition.

If you are looking to build your bike I would say that you are better off with the ST and BT classifieds and then making a list of all the parts you need and then setting the max you are willing to spend on each item.  Aim to combine shipping where possible and make sure you educate yourself about what components are compatible.

I think that building bikes is a great way to learn about your bike and to put together the exactly the bike you want; however, especially if you need to buy tools or use your LBS for some of the build, you may not save money in the long run.

Shane
2009-12-22 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2573872

User image

Champion
gsmacleod - 2009-12-22 3:53 PM I have built two bikes primarily using eBay, BT and ST classifieds.

The first was a Leader 730TT which I built for under $1000CDN (exchange was around .90 at the time) using a combination of lightly used and NOS parts.  The drivetrain was a combo of 105 and Ultegra with a 9 speed SRAM cassette and 7 speed bar cons (friction mode).  I have since upgraded several parts (race wheels, wheel cover, FSA pursuit bar, T2 aerobars, FSA aero chainrings, DA RD, 10 speed bar cons and PD QSC levers).  All told, I believe I am just over $2000 for my race day setup.

The second (almost done) is a Norco CRR1M6 frame with DA (10 sp Ultegra brifters and cassette) which has been almost entirely from the BT and ST classifieds and right now I am just under $1100CDN.  Most of my drivetrain has been lightly used but still in good condition.

If you are looking to build your bike I would say that you are better off with the ST and BT classifieds and then making a list of all the parts you need and then setting the max you are willing to spend on each item.  Aim to combine shipping where possible and make sure you educate yourself about what components are compatible.

I think that building bikes is a great way to learn about your bike and to put together the exactly the bike you want; however, especially if you need to buy tools or use your LBS for some of the build, you may not save money in the long run.

Shane

This is exactly what I did.  It took me a few months to get everything I wanted, good winter project.  Also spreading it out over a few months also helps with spending so much at one time.

2009-12-22 3:57 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
just bought 7800 FD/RD/Shifters for $158 for my PlanetX... go Classifieds
2009-12-22 6:15 PM

User image

Master
For a Trek Madone, I would consider getting a bike from Bikedirect with the components you want, then buying the Madone frame on E-bay and swapping the parts over. You really need to be mechanically inclined and have all the tools to do it right. Don't expect the LBS to consider you a good customer and I wouldn't wheel it in there asking for a tune-up. 
2009-12-22 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2574241

User image

Champion
pschriver - 2009-12-22 7:15 PM For a Trek Madone, I would consider getting a bike from Bikedirect with the components you want, then buying the Madone frame on E-bay and swapping the parts over. You really need to be mechanically inclined and have all the tools to do it right. Don't expect the LBS to consider you a good customer and I wouldn't wheel it in there asking for a tune-up. 

It's not really difficult to put a bike together.  Zin and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, parktool.com & bicycletutor.com are all I used.

I got it all set up, took it to my LBS to get fit and they did some adjustments for me, also cut the steerer tube for me as that was one thing that was a bit too permanant for me to try on my own. They charged me for the adjustments and it wasn't too much, Don't see why a LBS would have a problem servicing a bike you bought somewhere else vs. one you put together yourself, vs. one you bought from them.
2009-12-22 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
The real answer is:
buy a fairly complete used bike, then upgrade a few things from ebay, BT, ST, craigslist.

Ie; figure out the bike you want: say a cervelo p2 for example.

buy a 2-4 y/o used p2 for something around $1000.  This is where the patience thing comes in.

Then go and pick up stuff to upgrade.  DA stuff, wheels, different seat, etc.

That's the cheapest way to go.
steve

I bought a $600 cervelo soloist someone had upgraded to DA everywhere.
Then I bought a $300 mint p2sl frame/fork, transfered everything over, and there you go.
This year, I put on the handlebars from a 2009 felt B2 TTR I picked up for $140, some $30 SRAM carbon brake levers, and a carbon seatpost for $40 (I know it's useless, but makes it look cool)

Edited by EvenOlder 2009-12-22 6:56 PM
2009-12-22 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2574279

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
dalessit - 2009-12-22 8:45 PM

It's not really difficult to put a bike together.  Zin and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, parktool.com & bicycletutor.com are all I used.

I got it all set up, took it to my LBS to get fit and they did some adjustments for me, also cut the steerer tube for me as that was one thing that was a bit too permanant for me to try on my own. They charged me for the adjustments and it wasn't too much, Don't see why a LBS would have a problem servicing a bike you bought somewhere else vs. one you put together yourself, vs. one you bought from them.

I built mine up using just the Park Tool website.

On my first build, I had the LBS press the crown race and install the BB.  On my second, it was just the crown race. 

Shane

2009-12-23 10:30 AM

Master

Cheapest way for a new person to get a quality bike - buy a built one, either used or LBS on sale. 

The LBS can get bulk discounts which are huge. They'll get cassettes in a box of 50, with no consumer packaging, and one shipping price. The savings are huge - which is why bikesdirect.com can pull off such low prices even with legitimate hi-end ultegra/dura-ace parts.

If you have the interest or time though, I think building your own bike is the no-lose way to go in the long run. You'll have full control and knowledge of everything on your bike, and will really be able to optimize the heck out of it.

Keep in mind that the cost of tools, while not expensive, does add up. Expect to pay $150-$300 in tools to build up an entire bike. You can skimp on tools, but the better your tools, the easier your job. A good bike stand for a carbon bike will cost at least $150, if not $250, since you can't just clamp the carbon as you would an alloy bike. 

2010-01-26 4:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am in the middle of building a ebay road bike right now. Masi team edition (carbon) frame and fork, FSA Plasma (Carbon) handlebar, FSA k-light (carbon) seatpost, I have a SRAM Red grouppo ordered, I check the mail daily. The mission is to build a sub 15 lbs. bike, possibly a sub 14 pounder. The plan is to purchase everything on ebay and everything carbon. So far I have paid less than 50 percent of retail for all new parts. I hope to be finished by spring.

Edited by Special K 2010-01-26 4:58 AM
2010-01-26 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2634590

User image

Champion
Special K - 2010-01-26 5:57 AM I am in the middle of building a ebay road bike right now. Masi team edition (carbon) frame and fork, FSA Plasma (Carbon) handlebar, FSA k-light (carbon) seatpost, I have a SRAM Red grouppo ordered, I check the mail daily. The mission is to build a sub 15 lbs. bike, possibly a sub 14 pounder. The plan is to purchase everything on ebay and everything carbon. So far I have paid less than 50 percent of retail for all new parts. I hope to be finished by spring.

Nice, make sure you post pic's.  It's always better when you can be patient and get the parts you want for a good price.
2010-01-26 9:07 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
In general it's more economical to buy a complete bike then what it would be if you bought each part seperatly, but this is only true if you buy everything brand new and from stores. Once you get used or E-bay, craigslist, etc. involved, you might be able to save a bit. The biggest reason why this makes sense is that you can choose exactly the components you want, upgrade the once you want, etc. I would recommend spending a bit more on shifters (bar-ends only comes in Dura-Ace, Record, Red, so that's an easy one... but brifters comes in several different levels and stepping up makes lots of sense...), upgrade rear derailleur (you are shifting often and the better once work better under load). You can save a bit on the front derailleur, get mid-level brakes, mid-level cranksets, splurge on wheels, etc.

Keep in mind that you do need a very basic tool box and a work bench to build a bike. Specific tools include bottom bracket, cable cutter, cassette tools, chain tools, plus you need screwdrivers, hex keys (metric and but rarely inch), pliers, etc. If you have these already, fine build your bike and have fun. If you don't consider the cost of these when you budget.
2010-01-26 9:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-02-08 5:18 AM
in reply to: #2634590

Extreme Veteran
Special K - 2010-01-26 3:57 AM

I am in the middle of building a ebay road bike right now. Masi team edition (carbon) frame and fork, FSA Plasma (Carbon) handlebar, FSA k-light (carbon) seatpost, I have a SRAM Red grouppo ordered, I check the mail daily. The mission is to build a sub 15 lbs. bike, possibly a sub 14 pounder. The plan is to purchase everything on ebay and everything carbon. So far I have paid less than 50 percent of retail for all new parts. I hope to be finished by spring.

Just added another piece via ebay, a nice nearly new set of Rolf Prima TDF 38 carbon wheels, light and areo. It is coming together quite well. Only need a saddle, water bottle cages, and a new computer and she will be ready. BTW, so far all ebay, cost spent only about 40 percent of retail. YEAH!!!
2010-02-08 10:04 PM

I am in a similar situation.

After I pay off the rest of my credit card, I am going to be building a tri bike piece by piece. I settled on the option because there are certain parts to the build that I definately want on the bike, that will not come with a complete bike purchase.

This is what I have in mind:

Frame: (very undecided on frameset at the moment, either CD.01, Kueen K, the new Kestrel, or a P3)
Der (front and back): Shimano Dura Ace
Rear Cassette: KCNC
Chain: KMC
Wheels: Easton EC90 TT
Aerobar: Oval Concepts A911 Jetstream
Shifters: Zipp Vuka R2C
Brakes: Feather Calipers
Crankset: RotorBike Eliptic /w 3d Arms

The other details are still in the works. Should be buying the first pieces in a month or two.

Yes I have too much time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best way to bu a new bike-piece by piece or complete? Rss Feed