BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ersmith29's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-03-06 6:17 AM
in reply to: #2572886

New user
Cincinnati, OH
Subject: RE: Ersmith29's Group - CLOSED
Thanks for the advice Emily.  In my mind - I have already committed to the half marathon and for me - that's probably more than half the battle.  Work has been crazy the last few weeks so I have not been on as many weekday runs but they have been longer - usually between 5 and 7 miles, and still kickin' the spin classes and swims.  And of course, my weekend distance runs are improving.  (I had to flip my distance run this morning until tomorrow because my husband wants to go to the morning spin and of course, I had to get in to the office this morning and get some work done before I head over there.  This week will be better and I can be more set on my established training plan.)  Actually, I was just thinking that once I finish the half marathon - I might just wear my shirt in to work the next day for celebration purposes! 

As you mentioned, there is always Monday to start over on.  I had a lot of business lunches and dinners this week and it has thrown me off.  I think some good detox tea and an hour in the sauna can help get that out of my system and I can be clean for new week!

I am still in somewhat of a shock of where I am physically.  I never thought I would be able to do these things.. run this far and this long, bike that hard, and swimming a full mile was just incomprehensible... Committing to this triathlon has really changed my life.  It's made me so much stronger and in more ways than physical.  I have a very high stress job and it's help get me through the days where I just want to put my head through a wall.  I don't want to give this part of my life up.

2010-03-06 7:37 AM

User image

Southwest Florida
I am still here and although I don't get on the computer to post very often I do read (via droid) all messages for our group.

MaryP - sounds like you are doing great!  Have you done many Sprint Tri's before?  I was contemplating a half marathon for 2011 but my running doesn't seem to improve (see below), although I'm not ready to quit on any of it.  No matter my time or distance I'm proud of the fact that I AM doing it - I am running.  You mentioned about once you've set your mind to something you work towards that goal - I've done the same thing.  It's what keeps me going.  I won't/can't give up.

Emily - although our group is not posting I think they read these posts and are keeping motivated (If I'm wrong no one needs to say a thing).  I can't even contemplate doing a full IM let alone a HIM so I look at you being a strong person.  Thank you for being a mentor.  I know I need it. 

I have a question for those that have already done their first Tri - What were one or more things you wish you'd had for the race itself?  I know we could have done more training but I'm speaking about the race and what you wish you had bought or borrowed.

I did a T2 transition yesterday at the gym - Spin for 20 min and run for 30.  My running still involves lost of walking but I'm getting stronger.  At least once a week (unless I really chicken out) I do some sprints.  I decided to do a month of Couch to 5K with a little tweeking. I just did week 5. 

I bought cleats for my bike - actually I can use them for spin class AND my bike. YEAH!!!! I love them!  I wore them for the first time on my bike last Sunday and did my longest and farthest ride yet - 44 miles (3hr13min). There were some strong headwinds that made 5 miles feel like 20.  I fell 1 1/2 times because of my shoes but NOT because I forgot to unclip them.  I was trying to change the way I put my foot down (right foot instead of left) and my weight automatically shifted left anyway.  A sign helped me not go down the first time but I wasn't so lucky the second, although it was in a park not on the road.  I felt stupid but laughed.  I have some major bruises to show for it but I was not physically hurt.  I decided I'd better unclip my left foot from then on and there weren't any more falls.  I'm doing a ride tomorrow to benefit a local riding club, I'll be doing 30 miles.  Hopefully the winds won't be as bad as they've been all week.  It's COLD and windy here.  This is southern Florida and except for the sun, it's been cold far too long.  I want 70's, please.  All this riding is getting me ready for the big ride in April - I'm riding in the MS Zimmerman 2010 Bike Ride from Miami Breakaway to Key Largo.  I personally am doing 50 miles on day 1 and 35 on day 2.  I don't know if my body will forgive me after 85 miles.  If you'd like more info go to msbikeflorida.org I'm with a group called Paradise Bikes.  Should be a great ride, if not exhausting.

My first Triathlon is getting closer - only 9 weeks away.  I feel my swim portion is strong, bike is good if not super fast but although I've been running the longest it never seems to get better.  I've tried changing it so either I go longer at 5.0-5.4 or shorter at 5.5-6.0,  I just can't seem to go longer at 6.0.  I guess I can only do what my body tells me to do, although my mind can push my body a couple extra minutes.  I still have time to work on it.  My next 5K is April 3 and I'm really hoping for a better time over last year, any time will be better than the 5k from last month (Feb) that was plain crap!

I think I've caught up now it's time for someone else.

Have a great weekend - enjoy it.

Mary U
2010-03-08 5:52 AM

User image

Southwest Florida
I did my bike ride yesterday and instead of only doing the 30 miles I ended up doing 48 miles.  I went with the rest of my "team" and while most of them were far ahead my partner, Shawn, stayed with me.  They all talked me into doing the 62 mile course while knowing if I couldn't go any farther I could be picked up.  One of the guys from the bike shop was a SAG driver (anyone know what SAG stands for?) and was available to help any of the bikers on the 62 mile course.  I made it well past the 30 and once I made it to 40 I wanted to get to 45, which is when we called for Matt.  My back was hurting (I will bring pain reliever with me forever more and take it at the 30 mile marker).  We continued riding while waiting for Matt and made an extra 3 miles and Rest Stop #3.  I was very proud of making it that far.  I won't be nervous about doing 50 miles on the 1st day next month for the MS Ride and 35 the 2nd day.  I can do it!

I'm off to the gym shortly, I'm going to do the Pilates class today to help strengthen my back some more.  I think I will do the class every Monday since it's the only one I can make. It's my long day at the gym - no work except housework on Mondays.

Have a great day.
2010-03-08 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2711395

Veteran
MaryP -

Sounds like you are doing an awesome job! 

Your comments about not believing in what your body is capable of reminded me all the way back to our introductions.  I know that I put in mine something about 'you'd never know I was a triathlete by casually meeting me.'  I know a lot of people echoed that same sentiment.

It's something that I think can be tough, to really embrace ourselves as athletes.  Especially if, like me, you were never considered 'the athletic type'.   

I'm really glad that you're finding your inner athlete!!
2010-03-08 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2713435

Veteran
Hi MaryU -

Good job on the bike ride - sounds like you are going to breeze through the bike leg of your tri!!  And good luck at the MS Ride, you're gonna do great!!!   And the first fall in clipless pedals is a badge of honor   We've all done it!

And hang in there with the running.  It will eventually come around.  It took me a really, really long time to be able to run my first 5k, even though I did a lot of aerobics/stairmaster, etc & thought I was in good shape.  It comes over time, but the good thing is that once you kinda break through, then you develop muscle memory and confidence, and you just know that can run certain distances, like a 5k, even without any training.  But it really does take time.

My thoughts on your question -

I think there are 2 perspectives -

From the 'intimidation' perspective:  Most people will have clipless pedals.  Many will have aerobars.  Unless it's indoors, most will have wetsuits.  None of these things are truly necessary, of course, but it can be overwhelming to feel like the only one without these things.   I think just knowing what to expect helps.

From a convenience perspective:  I love lace locks (practice running in them beforehand).  They will definitely speed up your transitions.  Also, have 2 water bottles in transition (with water or sports drink) - 1 to have already on the bike, and 1 to have in transition to grab a quick drink between legs.  A race belt is very helpful if you don't have one.  You just have your number already pinned on and put in on after the swim.  And tri shorts as opposed to bike shorts will help you be more comfortable on the bike, since they are designed to dry out quickly.  Heavily padded bike shorts stay soggy - yuck!

Hope this helps a bit

2010-03-13 6:22 AM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
10 MILES THIS MORNING!  WOO-HOO!!!!    I quickly followed it up with a high-protein shake, banana, B-vitamins, and of course, ibuprofen.  And now - if I could just make it up the stairs...

2010-03-15 7:56 PM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
Mary U -

I have never done a tri before.  July 25 is my first.  I have never done a half marathon - May 5 will be my first as well.  I have come a lot further than I expected although the only combinations that I have put together right now is the swim and bike.  I will begin transitioning with the bike and then run here shortly.  Swimming and Running are my stronger events and I think I can pretty much run as long as I need to.  I've not gotten 13 miles in yet but I am getting closer.  Now that the weather is getting nicer and I don;t have to worry about black ice and falling - I can begin to transition outside.  I just don't want to give up this part of my life.  I was never allowed to be an athlete as a child and frankly, my mother has fits every time I tell her how far I am running or swimming (my mother is quite a bit older and girls just didn't run or jump or swim - that wasn't lady-like) but now I really just want to kick some dude's rear end just to show 'em that I can!  But anyway - I love exercising and thinking about completing these events - just to say that I can!

I am also with you - coming up on my first tri - I'd like to hear from the Real World - how are transitions handled best?  What would you have done differently?  Did angels sing when you crossed the finish line?  How did you take decent photos with Swim Cap and Helmet Head?  I'd love to know... 'cause that last one has me worried...
2010-03-17 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2727992

Veteran
MaryP - Congrats on your first double digit run!!! That's a great accomplishment   How are your legs feeling now that you're a few days out?  Any lingering soreness?

Ha - I love your questions about the 'real world' of triathlon!  You are too funny  

My thoughts on transition - definitely practice your transitions ahead of time, both the swim to bike and the bike to run.  The morning of the race, walk through both entire transitions.  Physically walk through coming from the swim exit, putting on your bike gear (helps make sure you've got everything you need) then walk to the bike out. 

Do the same thing for the bike to run.  It can be very disorienting - I lost my bike for about 2 minutes at a half last year - oops!   Turns out I was standing about 5 feet from it - doh!!  So count the racks from both directions (if they are different) so you know where to turn.  Some people use balloons etc, but I would just count, it's a bit more lowkey if you know what I mean. 

I do, however, like having a brightly colored towel.  Target has great, cheap fun beach towels.  Helps me find my bike (I implemented that after the incident last year

Here's my personal transition checklist:
Towel
Spray sunscreen
2 water bottles - one already on the bike and one for transition
Hand towel to wipe my face after the swim or wipe feet if they're sandy
Bike helmet
Sunglasses
Race belt w/ number pinned on
Socks
Bike shoes
Bike flat repair (I don't use a bag on my bike but rather stick it in my jersey)
Run shoes (with lace locks)
Hat - and there's your answer to hair question!  I always wear a hat on the run
Depending on the length I might have some gels or shot bloks to stick in my jersey
my 'transition pack' - ziploc with meds (tums, advil, immodium, claritin), safety pins, zip ties, tape, sharpie marker and scissors. <- this stuff always comes in handy!

Things I skip - bike gloves, any change of clothes.  Trying to pull on a jersey when you're wet is next to impossible.

That's obviously not a full list of all tri gear, there's wetsuit, goggles, etc too, but I would have those with me at the swim start and not in transition.

Some people recommend a tub of water to rinse off feet, but I think that's overkill & takes up quite a bit of space.  Remember, the racks will likely be very crowded so you will have to squeeze all your stuff into the space of about 1 beach towel folded over.

Hope this helps a bit
2010-03-27 5:43 AM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
OK - not sure what is wrong here - but I seem to be in somewhat of a "Runner's Slump."  I ran on Tuesday, did my swim and spin Wednesday, couldn't get motivated to run on Thursday, did my swim and spin on Friday, and now could not get up to get motivated to run early Saturday before coming in to work.  What is WRONG with me???  I think it might be knowing that I want to run 11 miles today but not having the desire to spend the hour plus on the treadmill to do it.  Plus, knowing that I have to devote that much time to it, knowing that I have a ton of things to do at work, and I am also really tired right now trying to fight off some spring flu bug - I think I need a change of pace.  I need to get outside but I know that its harder outside.  This whole thing is just psychlogical but it is cramping my training.  I prefer to run when its dark outside as I can focus better but then it's just that - it's dark outside and not always the safest time to run (you all know that there are lots of crazies out there, and they seem to get up early like I do - which may qualify me as one - oh no!  Who knew???)  And now I am sitting at work feeling incredibly guilty and fat because I didn't run at least SOMETHING this morning.  URGH!!!!  How can I get over this??? I don't seem to have any trouble with swimming or spinning and maybe because I have to go somewhere to do it whereas running is just a home thing.  Anyone have any advice?
2010-03-27 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2752038

User image

Southwest Florida
Why don't you plan to run on the treadmill at the gym at least twice a week and at home once a week.  That way you have to go somewhere to do it.  I'm the same way.  I have a treadmill at home but I do better when I "have" to go somewhere to do the workout.  Or maybe you just needed a break this week and you'll be back to normal on Monday.  We all need a break sometimes especially if you aren't feeling well.  I feel running takes more out of me than spinning and we know how that can be - ugh.

I've done all of my running at the gym except once in February to get ready for my 5k and yesterday.  I decided to run outside yesterday instead of the gym as I have another 5k coming up a week from today.  Need to get some road training in.  I started with a fast walk, tucked my gatorade bottle in my moms mailbox (1/4 mi away) and started jogging. Last month I was barely able to jog a 1/4 mi on the road and yesterday I did...... 2 1/2 MILES!!!!! Woo Hoo!!! I did slow to a walk after 2 miles to pick up my drink and drink some - I tried drinking while still jogging and it didn't work well - so after two good gulps I started jogging again for the next 1/2 mile and finished with a 1/4 mile walk back to my house.  I haven't even jogged that much on the treadmill but I had such a good rhythm going I didn't want to stop.  I'm feeling really good about my race next week.  I think drinking some V8 Fusion helps. I'll have to continue that practice to make sure.

MaryP - as I said earlier you will get back there and run, don't stress about it or you may really psych yourself out of the big run.  Think of only going 3/4 of the run and then keep going.  I find it's VERY easy to psych myself out of doing something when I know it's going to take a long time or it's going to be hard.  Only you can make it happen.  When I started yesterday I would have been happy with 1 mile nonstop and I made 2 1/2 miles, something I never thought I could, let alone would do.
2010-03-29 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2752038

Veteran

Hey guys! 

MaryP - Sorry to hear about the runners slump.  It's not that uncommon, really.  And I totally agree with MaryU's comments about psyching yourself out.  I used to struggle with trying to do my longer runs after work on Thursday b/c I would think about it all day & by the end of the day, had come up with a million and one reasons not to do it.   

Hopefully after the weekend you are feeling refreshed & ready to run again, but if not, here's a few ideas:  

- Can you possibly find a running buddy?  Even if it's a one time thing.  As a fellow early AM'er, I know it's super tough to find others willing to go at the same time, but maybe just once or twice to get yourself psyched up again.  Also look for group runs out of local running shops etc as an option.  There's just something about the energy when you get runners together.

Also, I know you've got the HM coming up, but do you have any other, shorter races between now and then?  Sometimes a short fun run or low-key 5k can be a great boost.

MaryU - Congrats on the 2 1/2 miler!!  Awesome!!   Sounds like your running is really coming along - keep up the great work!

In my own updates, had a really good training week last week and am starting to get really psyched about the tri season.  I was 'watching' some of the Oceanside 70.3 coverage online and it was really fun. 

Speaking of - talk about incentive!!  - I managed to convince my husband to a deal.  I get down to goal weight & I get a new tri bike (new to me, not necessarily brand new   I hadn't been making any progress in weight loss front, so I'm super excited about this and hoping it will really get me motivated.  He feels like it's a sure bet he won't have to buy it, but....

Don't know if I've ever told the story of signing up for my first IM here.  In a nutshell, DH told me I couldn't possibly finish one - ha!  Shortly afterwards I was signed up & about a year later I was an Ironman.  Sometimes all it takes is someone telling you that you CAN'T do something   hehe!  

Hope everyone's week is off to a great start!!

2010-03-30 5:15 AM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
Made it up and completed a 5.5 miler this morning.  Feels good to be back in the game. 

My husband just got moved to 2nd shift so while it stinks that he is on 2nd shift - I don't have to feel guilty anymore about going to spin class or additional workouts after work for a while.  I am sure that I can pick it up for a while.  Getting in a few smaller runs is a good idea and will probably help get me better prepped for the HM.  Thanks for the tips!
2010-04-08 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2757054

Veteran
Since we've officially been archived here, I wanted to just wish a good luck to everyone.  I know we had a pretty slow thread, but hopefully it was a bit helpful

I wish everyone the best success and most of all - fun! 

Thank you all!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ersmith29's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6