General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2010-07-20 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2574545

User image

Veteran
Ridgewood, NJ
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread
I also saw a few ipods out there which I thought was really odd. Worse yet were the people "swimming" with noodles. Seriously.... noodles. Not sure what the deal was there. Totally respect and admire all the first timers out there that prepared and had the guts to jump in that river for the first time. However, if you are not prepared you should not be out there. You put yourself and others at risk.

The bike course was, as always, crazy crowded but you kinda have to expect that at this race. There's really no way to police it because you can pretty much guarantee that 95% of the people violated the letter of the law, though I didn't see anyone that looked to be doing it purposefully.

2010-07-20 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2993216

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

rfm1237 - 2010-07-20 5:10 PM ...The bike course was, as always, crazy crowded but you kinda have to expect that at this race. There's really no way to police it because you can pretty much guarantee that 95% of the people violated the letter of the law, though I didn't see anyone that looked to be doing it purposefully.

I fully admit to drafting at a couple points.  But I was only drafting because it was unsafe NOT to just stay in my position.  I would be on the back wheel of a slower rider, attempting to pass, but that rider is passing someone even slower AND I'm getting passed by someone SCREAMING "on your left."

that was my complaint last time I did I this race in 2008, some dude in the aero position going full bore and gets ticked at me because I move out to the left to pass, while he, being behind me, begins to pass me.

when it was safe, I would try to maintain the 3 bike length rule, but so often it just wasn't possible to be safe and maintain that rule because we would get so bunched up.  it didn't help that we got further bunched up by the sight-assisted and wheelchair divisions.  (not ranting about it - total respect for what they have accomplished - just noting that it wasn't unheardof at multiple points to literally be 4 riders abreast (3 of us passing) in a single lane.  Totally unsafe, but safer then hitting the breaks and messing up the 15 riders right on my back tire.

2010-07-20 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
oh man .. there were a few points on the bike where I almost just slid into a draft situation and then remembered that it was a no-no at a point where we couldve been caught.. but so many bunches of people riding at the same time.. it was pretty easy to trade "pace-making"
2010-07-20 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
oh man .. there were a few points on the bike where I almost just slid into a draft situation and then remembered that it was a no-no at a point where we couldve been caught.. but so many bunches of people riding at the same time.. it was pretty easy to trade "pace-making"
2010-07-20 7:18 PM
in reply to: #2991406

User image

Veteran
Manhattan
dcrainmaker - 2010-07-19 9:33 PM
maggiemeans - 2010-07-19 7:08 AM DC rainmaker ...   I heard the announcement for the extra goggles...
DC rainmaker... can you expand on your speedfil bottle issues?  i have the profile aero bottle .. and i am not completely happy with it and am thinking of the speedfil... but i see you are having issues..

what system are you looking at now?

Actually, that annoucement wasn't me.  But that announcement DID cause me to realize I forgot mine.   I ended up just poking into a few groups of clustered people asking around.  Only took about 2 groups to find someone.

RE: Speedfil

My main issues are:

1) Straw length.  I can't seem to get it just right, it's either too long, or too short
2) Floppiness.  It's seemingly flopping around a lot.  It's as though the built-in cloths hanger thing isn't stiff enough. 
3) Removing the bottle.  It's a PITA compared to a regular bottle, not really designed to easily detach.  Detachable...sure, easily...no.
4) Bottom of barrel.  The straw seems to get itself in a position quite often where it curls up and then I can't get the last inch or two of water (6-8oz).  That's annoying.

Now, it's entirely possible I'm doing something horribly wrong.  But, to me, it just doesn't seem like it's worth all the hassles.  And, if ya know me - I'm pretty patient with things (heck, I've been dinking with this for three months now), so the end of the road has been reached.

Thanks, and good luck!

I use a speedfil for races.  I love it.  I have never had a problem with it.
2010-07-21 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2993235

User image

Veteran
Ridgewood, NJ
condorman - 2010-07-20 5:23 PM

rfm1237 - 2010-07-20 5:10 PM ...The bike course was, as always, crazy crowded but you kinda have to expect that at this race. There's really no way to police it because you can pretty much guarantee that 95% of the people violated the letter of the law, though I didn't see anyone that looked to be doing it purposefully.

I fully admit to drafting at a couple points.  But I was only drafting because it was unsafe NOT to just stay in my position.  I would be on the back wheel of a slower rider, attempting to pass, but that rider is passing someone even slower AND I'm getting passed by someone SCREAMING "on your left."

that was my complaint last time I did I this race in 2008, some dude in the aero position going full bore and gets ticked at me because I move out to the left to pass, while he, being behind me, begins to pass me.

when it was safe, I would try to maintain the 3 bike length rule, but so often it just wasn't possible to be safe and maintain that rule because we would get so bunched up.  it didn't help that we got further bunched up by the sight-assisted and wheelchair divisions.  (not ranting about it - total respect for what they have accomplished - just noting that it wasn't unheardof at multiple points to literally be 4 riders abreast (3 of us passing) in a single lane.  Totally unsafe, but safer then hitting the breaks and messing up the 15 riders right on my back tire.

Totally the right thing to do. For me it was really only that last long homeward stretch that was difficult to navigate. Outbound was not too bad, probably because I was one of the first waves out of Red so we had that 19 minute delay to create a little open road.

Still, all in all a very fun race. Hope luck is with me for next year and I'll get to do it again.

Bob

2010-07-21 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2925961

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
condorman - 2010-06-16 1:34 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2010-06-16 2:09 PM It won’t be worse than Florida. That much you can be sure of.

great!  now you jinxed us.

2010-07-21 5:25 PM

NYC
This was my first time doing this race and after reading on this site the negative reaction that many had at last year's race I was expecting the worst.  I have to say it the organizers did a great job.  I didn't see any egregious drafting and the bike was not nearly as crowded as I feared.  The crowds were great!
2010-07-23 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
race report is up.
I did enjoy coming up and doing this rce despite the issues i went thru.  I had a fantastic time in NYc nad spent all Sunday running around the city seeing friends and hanging out ...recovery was much faster than if i was at home sitting and relaxing after the race. Sorry I didnt get to meet anyone.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=218740&posts=2&start=1
2010-07-23 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2995535

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-07-21 4:15 PM
condorman - 2010-06-16 1:34 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2010-06-16 2:09 PM It won’t be worse than Florida. That much you can be sure of.

great!  now you jinxed us.

It was definitely not worse than Florida...I actually thought the run was fine.  Plenty of shade, no humidity and a really nice cool breeze.  And no wind on the bike...wow, I am so used to fighting lots of wind on my rides, ti was a nice change!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8