General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2010-06-01 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2894576

User image

Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread
Oh boy!
I started getting nervous two months ago...
i should be a basket case by the time my wave goes off....
thanks for posting this.. 

2010-06-10 4:40 AM
in reply to: #2574545

Good morning to all,
I've signed up for the Nautica Tri. It's my first. Usually I'm not easily intimidated but, I think I might be over my head. I've run(survived) the NYC Marathon twice. Is this a beginner friendly race? I'm in the mind set of trying not to embarrass myself. Any other "virgins" out there with similar thoughts?
2010-06-10 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2912580

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
jaygee - 2010-06-10 4:40 AM

Good morning to all,
I've signed up for the Nautica Tri. It's my first. Usually I'm not easily intimidated but, I think I might be over my head. I've run(survived) the NYC Marathon twice. Is this a beginner friendly race? I'm in the mind set of trying not to embarrass myself. Any other "virgins" out there with similar thoughts?

I would say, no, it’s not a beginner-friendly race, although it’s marketed as such. Or, more exactly, the EVENT may be beginner-friendly. The COURSE is not.

The swim does have the strong downstream current, which is nice, but it can be a little scary if you’re not used to open-water swimming. Each wave of athletes is large and the space you swim in isn’t wide, so there can be a lot of congestion and contact with other swimmers.

The bike course has a few significant hills up and down, and the run course is rolling and hot.

All of this is not to scare you, or anyone else who’s making this their first race. If you’ve managed two marathons, you know how to train and prepare for a race. As long as you don’t take this race lightly and train appropriately (e.g., don’t buy into the stuff like, “The swim is so easy, an empty Doritos bag can finish in 30 minutes!”) you’ll be fine. It’s a great event and lots of fun. It’s incredibly well-run considering that the field is three or even four times the size of other events.

ETA:
Sorry if that sounded harsh. One of my pet peeves about the NYC Tri is the way it’s marketed as this uber-easy beginner-friendly race. Last year, about a third of the people racing it were doing their first tri ever. Considering that the field numbers in the thousands, that’s an awful lot of inexperienced people to have out on any race course at one time. Consequently, you end up with large packs of riders who are often bunched across two or three lanes, which makes it hazardous for others in later waves trying to pass.

I’m not blaming the athletes, I’m blaming the NYC tri organization for not doing a better job of explaining and enforcing the draft/block rules and etiquette. I also think that some of the teams/companies/charity groups that sponsor many of these groups of new triathletes advocate fun and empowerment and team unity to the exclusion of courtesy, etiquette, and safety (I’m talking to you, Team in Training.)

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2010-06-10 8:33 AM
2010-06-10 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Agree the thought that this is not exactly a "beginners" race. First of all the crowd of participants, while enthusiatic and awesome can be intimidating. Second, due to the fact there are so many people it must go off like clockwork, last year there was a 15-20 min delay due to thunderstorms, if that happens again it throws everything off, you MUST listen to announcements. Third, the swim as "easy" as it may be with the current, is STILL in the Hudson. I watched as the first group of age groupers went off, they rescued someone in the first 30 seconds, it's intimidating if you are not confident. Finally, the bike and run portion? Not easy by any means. Combine the weather with that, you may be in for a long day if you don't take it seriously.

Seems the Jellyfish are staying around southern NJ so far this year, so hopefully that won't happen again this year like it did in 2008.

This year the current favours the later participants rather then the last two years where it favoured the early guys. Also the current will be less than last years 2+ knots, so that bag of cheetos may float a little slower. I am skipping it this year to do the NJ State a week later but will be there volunteering on Saturday at the Bike Transition.

Edited by Biancamano 2010-06-10 10:34 AM
2010-06-10 12:44 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

agreed that this is not a beginner-friendly race.  i did it in 2008 and was one of the guys that swam up on the dude who never made it out of the water and nearly got run over by the medical people coming down the bike exit from Riverside park.

glad to hear that we still get tide in later waves, as when I did it in '08, by the time we got in the water - there was no downriver tide, compared with the watching some big fat dude floating on his back flying down the river on one of the earlier waves...

i really found the bike course challenging because of the large number of bunching of riders, the desire to avoid drafting and attempting to pass on the left when others are attempting to pass you.  part of the congestion seems to come from the wave starts and the slow bikers getting into the water first, so you have to then pass them on the ride.  and don't get me started about getting stuck behind a couple of slower bikers on mountain bikes in the middle of the road at the bottom of a hill, so you end up hitting the brakes and losing all momentum for getting up hills.

with all that being said, once you pass back under the GW Bridge and ride your bike back to Riverside park, I found the race to be wide open fun.  the bikes issues were over as we were spaced far enough apart and after the bike, the run was painful but a lot of fun with the crowd support to the park.

2010-06-10 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
I am really looking forward to this race..the only thing I am worried about is the bike.  i hear from everyone how congested it is and also how hilly.  WE dont have hills in Florida and I am spending a great deal of time on bridges to get practice, but still worry if I will be ready.  It's only a B race for me, but I still want to kick some !

2010-06-10 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2914113

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

piperfl - 2010-06-10 4:15 PM I am really looking forward to this race..the only thing I am worried about is the bike.  i hear from everyone how congested it is and also how hilly.  WE dont have hills in Florida and I am spending a great deal of time on bridges to get practice, but still worry if I will be ready.  It's only a B race for me, but I still want to kick some !

the bike course itself really isn't that hilly.  there are some inclines, but nothing that is going to trash your legs.

below is an elevation chart I did on the interweb for the 2008 bike course (assuming the bike course is the same)

2010-06-10 8:21 PM

User image

The bike course isn't too hilly at all. Last year someone posted a video of the entire bike course. I'm pretty sure I have it downloaded somewhere and can probably post it. (I'd like to check with the original poster before I do that, though.)
2010-06-10 8:23 PM

Thanks to all,
I just did another brick with lots of hill work. I'm a decent swimmer but I will heed your advice and start putting some more time in the water. I'll try and keep my bike out of your way and if you see a 49 year old guy with a salt and pepper mustache give me a push. Thanks again.
2010-06-11 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2914643

User image

Master
White Plains NY
philjlee - 2010-06-10 9:21 PM The bike course isn't too hilly at all. Last year someone posted a video of the entire bike course. I'm pretty sure I have it downloaded somewhere and can probably post it. (I'd like to check with the original poster before I do that, though.)

they have this link:
http://www.nyctri.com/Event_Information/Course/RCN_High_Speed_Course_Tour.htm

but I can't get it to play. Can you? I think this is the bike course, right?
2010-06-11 8:15 AM

For those doing this for the first time, don't worry about the bike course, it's really not that hilly.

It IS crowded so please please please pass quickly and then move to the right, as other people will want to be passing you.

The run however has some really nice hills in the top part of central park. Practice running hills!!

If this is your first tri ever, try to take in the experience and be considerate of others. Do not do what others do because there are a lot of yahoos out there that do not know how to race. There are plenty of threads on race etiquette and the NYC race briefing does a good job of the rules of NYC tri, take all of this into consideration!

2010-06-14 1:10 PM

User image

Cambridge, MA
Race is closing in...looks like its supposed to be a lot of fun...first time doing this race...2nd intl dist race for me...will be shaky--but training is the key...and those of us lucky enough to live & train in NYC all about running the Central Park hills!
2010-06-14 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2915084

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
wstchstrTriathlete - 2010-06-11 8:11 AM
philjlee - 2010-06-10 9:21 PM The bike course isn't too hilly at all. Last year someone posted a video of the entire bike course. I'm pretty sure I have it downloaded somewhere and can probably post it. (I'd like to check with the original poster before I do that, though.)

they have this link:
http://www.nyctri.com/Event_Information/Course/RCN_High_Speed_Course_Tour.htm

but I can't get it to play. Can you? I think this is the bike course, right?

This was an overview of the course..not really much on the bike.

Coming from Pancake flat land in South Florida, what you all consider not hilly, can be to us.  I am sure I'll be fine sicne i train bridges and causeways.  (I am trying ot find some :hills" here to train for the run..mostly I am using the treadmill on 5-8% grade.

2010-06-14 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2920632

User image

Veteran
Chicago
md09873 - 2010-06-14 1:10 PM Race is closing in...looks like its supposed to be a lot of fun...first time doing this race...2nd intl dist race for me...will be shaky--but training is the key...and those of us lucky enough to live & train in NYC all about running the Central Park hills!

Can anyone give me an idea of the number/grades of hills in Central Park? I'm not too worried about the hills on the bike as I'm much stronger in that area, but I've heard the central park hills can be a pain on the run. I live in Chicago so it's pretty flat. My hill training pretty much consists of running and over the train tracks at the beginning and end of each run (18th st bridge by soldier field for my fellow chi-towners). Perhaps during my pre-taper I will just run up and down that for 30 minutes...
2010-06-14 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2921062

User image

New user
tpero - 2010-06-14 4:32 PM
md09873 - 2010-06-14 1:10 PM Race is closing in...looks like its supposed to be a lot of fun...first time doing this race...2nd intl dist race for me...will be shaky--but training is the key...and those of us lucky enough to live & train in NYC all about running the Central Park hills!

Can anyone give me an idea of the number/grades of hills in Central Park? I'm not too worried about the hills on the bike as I'm much stronger in that area, but I've heard the central park hills can be a pain on the run. I live in Chicago so it's pretty flat. My hill training pretty much consists of running and over the train tracks at the beginning and end of each run (18th st bridge by soldier field for my fellow chi-towners). Perhaps during my pre-taper I will just run up and down that for 30 minutes...

Individually, the hills aren't all that bad, it's just that central park is mostly rolling hills, with few flat sections.  The course goes clockwise through the park, which makes the biggest hill in the northern section of the park a little easier, in my opinion.  The steepest climb is around 4% over a quarter mile.  My by count, the running course will have 4 major climbs.  But if you count rollers there are more.
2010-06-14 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2921135

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Individually, the hills aren't all that bad, it's just that central park is mostly rolling hills, with few flat sections.  The course goes clockwise through the park, which makes the biggest hill in the northern section of the park a little easier, in my opinion.  The steepest climb is around 4% over a quarter mile.  My by count, the running course will have 4 major climbs.  But if you count rollers there are more.

Thanks! Doesn't sound so bad, just have to make sure I don't run out of gas!

2010-06-14 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2921390

User image

New user
I did hear that the hill right out of transition is pretty steep though.  I do all my running in central park though, so I havn't actually seen it.  I'll go check it out over the weekend and report back
2010-06-14 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2921508

User image

It's not all that bad, and I found last year that I was fairly pumped after the transition and didn't feel it too much.

Imho the hardest bit of the run is the two hills at the top of Central Park. The reason it's hard is that there's no spectators up there so you're all on your own. You go up to the top or Harlem Hill, down the other side, and then climb back out onto the East side of the park. The hills aren't steep but they feel long to me!
2010-06-14 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2921578

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

philjlee - 2010-06-14 8:44 PM It's not all that bad, and I found last year that I was fairly pumped after the transition and didn't feel it too much. Imho the hardest bit of the run is the two hills at the top of Central Park. The reason it's hard is that there's no spectators up there so you're all on your own. You go up to the top or Harlem Hill, down the other side, and then climb back out onto the East side of the park. The hills aren't steep but they feel long to me!

what got me on the run in '08 was the 2nd hill being fully exposed in the sun.  i had the luck that back then my office was on 59th and Park, so I ran the Central Park course about a dozen times.  It was just that slow gradual climb of the second hill as you looped around (the hockey rink being on your left) and being out in the heat and sun that killed me.

then again, once you hit the reservoir, it is all downhill from there!

2010-06-16 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
What's the weather been like up there right now?  Temps?
2010-06-16 10:08 AM

User image

New user
Lately it's been highs around 80 and overnight lows in the low 60s.  Next week it's looking like it's going to get into the 90s and the overnight lows are going to rise as well.  In mid July, I'd wager on it being in the low seventies for the race, and humid, based on past summers.

2010-06-16 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
70's and humid sounds divine!!!  my wave is at 6:38, so that's helpful too!
2010-06-16 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2925254

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
trunner400 - 2010-06-16 10:08 AM

Lately it's been highs around 80 and overnight lows in the low 60s.  Next week it's looking like it's going to get into the 90s and the overnight lows are going to rise as well.  In mid July, I'd wager on it being in the low seventies for the race, and humid, based on past summers.

That sounds on the cool side, to me. Low 70’s for mid-July in NYC?

Maybe at race start, right after the sun comes up, it might be in the low 70’s, but It’ll heat up fast, I think, once the race gets going. Depending on when your wave is, or how quickly you get off the bike, it can get quite a bit hotter.
2010-06-16 12:50 PM

User image

New user
Well yeah I meant at the start of the race 6-7am, certainly it will heat up as the race progresses.  Past few July's I remember the early morning temps have been low seventies, on average.  Historical weather data on the internet says the overnight low average is in the high sixties for that time of year. 

Edited by trunner400 2010-06-16 12:57 PM
2010-06-16 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
no prob..I won't hold you to it, but I cant think it would be any worse than what I train in on a daily basis is south florida..6 am here it is typically at least 85 and 80% humidity right now
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8