General Discussion Triathlon Talk » San Diego Grand Fondo & Places To Stay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-23 2:58 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: San Diego Grand Fondo & Places To Stay

Hey California peeps,

I'm coming to San Diego to experience some of your glorious sunshine during a time when it will be rainy in Vancouver. Who am I kidding, it's always rainy in Vancouver.

Anyway, I will be in San Diego from March 5th - 14th and will be doing the Grand Fondo on the 7th.

What are the best places to say? I haven't really been to San Diego before, just once when I was young. I've booked a flight, but no place to stay yet. I've been looking at vrbo.com because we've booked through that site before and the places have always been great, but we're flexible. We just want a washer/dryer (or at least one near by) to wash all of our cycling clothes and a kitchen and probably somewhere to buy groceries.

We're pretty flexible with location too. Anywhere nice would be good. Originally we were looking into staying on Mission Beach, but then someone told me it is kind of scuzzy. Is it? The pictures make it look nice. I thought staying near the beach would be nicer, but I like cities too, so don't mind staying downtown/little Italy if there are really cool areas near there. Even further North is good too if it is really nice there, or there is lots of nice riding.

We won't have a car and will probably spend most/every day riding. So BT, what say you, where the best place/area to stay?

Thanks,

Jen

2009-12-26 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2575729

User image

San Diego
Subject: RE: San Diego Grand Fondo & Places To Stay
Point loma has some cheaper hotels with good access to nice rides, easy access north or south. I would avoid mission beach, especially if your trip might coincide with a spring break.  That place is a drunken college nightmare; unless of course that sounds fun to you.  La Jolla area has quite a few motels and great access to riding north or south as well.  La Jolla Radisson perhaps the Hyatt. (If you want to spend money on a room instead of a new bike)  Don't know what your budget is.  The catamarn on mission bay is a nice hotel on the EDGE of the party zone.  Easy access to lots of eateries and walk across the street to the beach or go out the back door to the bay. 

Arno -drop me a line if you want more info or specifics.
2009-12-27 1:45 PM

User image

Elite
I'll echo the recommendation for Point Loma/Harbor Island/Shelter Island. There is a range of hotels from budget to pretty nice, with good places to train and easy access from the airport. It's also close to Little Italy which is where the Gran Fondo starts.

You could also look downtown if you're looking for some good nightlife while you're here. The Gaslamp Quarter has tons of good restaurants/bars and also isn't too far from the race site.

Have fun finding a good place to stay. If I get a new bike before March I'm thinking about doing the Gran Fondo as well, so maybe I'll see you there.

Edited by iowagander 2009-12-27 1:46 PM
2009-12-29 2:06 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Thanks for the recommendations. I never even thought about spring break. Do most school in California have spring break at the same time? Hopefully it's a week later.

We were thinking of staying in a cottage or condo, or a property that is being rented privately or through a company, like vrbo.com. Having access to a kitchen is our No. 1 most important and laundry facilities that are not too costly are also high on our list of amenities.

I'm definitely going to expand my search to these areas. Thank you.

2009-12-29 4:01 PM

User image

Expert

Ok, I'm going to chime in. I lived down in San Diego for 10 years and currently live about an hour north in Orange County. My sister-in-law lives in Del Mar and it's a great spot. It's considered "North County" of San Diego. It's probably 30-40 minutes north of where your race is, but the area is great. It's also close to PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) which is a major riding area. Here are some towns I see on VRBO to look at. I'm not sure what your price range is, but these areas are going to be a bit nicer and quieter than Mission Beach, Ocean Beach or Pacific Beach.

Cardiff by the Sea, Calsbad, Del Mar, Encinitas, and Solana Beach.

I'd also throw La Jolla in there as it's closer than the ones I listed above, but my guess is the prices are going to be much higher as well.

I'm not sure if you know Dave (Dave699) but he lives in Del Mar and works at a bike shop down in Point Loma and he's always riding down there. He might be up for a guided tour. I road with him on Thanksgiving morning when I was down there.

Good luck finding a place, and in your race. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Jeff

2009-12-29 5:46 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I'm going to check out all these areas when I get home. I haven't booked anything yet. We're thinking about $800/week for a place seems reasonable. I'm only a bit worried about staying too far north because we don't plan on having a car and riding to the Grand Fondo, then 100 miles (or whatever it is. ) then riding home might be too much. I've heard that public transit is good in San Diego. How is it in those other areas? However, we are going mainly for the riding, so it's best to stay close to where most of the rides will be from/to. I'm definitely going to PM Dave. Thanks.

And thanks so much for all of your replies. You've helped narrow down some places for someone that has absolutely no idea of San Diego and could only get an idea from pictures and Google Maps.

2009-12-30 2:34 AM
in reply to: #2582871

Check out mapmyride.com - use "swami" (for Swami's Loop) and "Great Western Loop" for search options.  The Pacific Coast Highway is always fun - and easy - to ride near the beaches and check out the little coastal towns.

Come see us at www.momentcyclesport.com - we're in Point Loma, right near downtown and the airport (EASY riding distance - a few miles at most).  We also do shop rides (hill repeats) on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.

I just got home, and it's pretty late - PM me with questions tomorrow if you like.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » San Diego Grand Fondo & Places To Stay Rss Feed