General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri tops Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-24 6:01 AM

Regular
spokane
Subject: Tri tops
1. So I have been looking at getting a tri top but I am unsure what is worth the money. I don't know what sets one apart from the other and would like some expert advice. I see that Hammer Nutrition has a tri top for $29.99, then I go to trisports.com and see every other brand start at 50 dollars and goes up. What is it about the OTHER brands that makes them better. I now that brand name goes a long way but is there other reasons.

2. If I am going to pay 50+ dollars for a tri top what do people suggest. I am currently looking at on sale items such as ORCA, 2XU, ZOOT, Hammer Nutrition and a couple others.

3. last dumb question. I see some brands label a top as a jersey, singlet and tank top. What the heck is the difference, and is it a difference a rookie would notice. I am also 6'2" and wiegh 215 pounds. I would prefer not to look like a sausage any recomendations for size/ fit.

I know its a lot of questions but I have to justify it with the family and I need a better excuse than it looks cool. 

Thanks in advance

2009-12-24 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2576465

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Tri tops
The whole point of a tri top is to be able to use it for the swim/bike/run, so you want something that is form fitting.  Don't want to be swimming with a giant parachute.  So there is your reasoning for needing it.  Faster transition times.

I own 2 of the zoot sleeveles tops and don't care for them at all.  Both bought off the sale rack, they don't seem to fit me well.  Near the sleeves just seems too loose for my liking.

Hammers shirts (lol is that like hammer pants?) are probably made by Voler or similar mfg,s nice but not usually top quality.  I have had good luck with Orca's stuff, seems to fit my body type well.  You probably need to try some on to see which fit you.  And TBH if it fits right you will look like a sausage somewhat, it's supposed to be close to your skin.

Guessing, jersey means it has short sleeves, singlet is usually sleevelss but has a back, tanktop is like a regular tank top.

Though looking at a website, I couldn't tell the difference between the tanktop and singlet in many pictures.

2009-12-24 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
EricMPeterson - 2009-12-24 6:01 AM 1. So I have been looking at getting a tri top but I am unsure what is worth the money. I don't know what sets one apart from the other and would like some expert advice. I see that Hammer Nutrition has a tri top for $29.99, then I go to trisports.com and see every other brand start at 50 dollars and goes up. What is it about the OTHER brands that makes them better. I now that brand name goes a long way but is there other reasons.

Often, price determines the quality of the stitching, material, and durability.  However, the top brands are all pretty good in those aspects, so the fit should be the determining factor as to which one to purchase. Some mfrs' run "tight", some not.  I have Zoot, Pearl Izumi, Profile Design, Specialized, Performance, and probably some others I can't think of right now.  The Zoot seems to run a little tighter than the others.  The Specialized does not protect my chest from the zipper as well as others.  The P-D is nice and the Performance is lower quality and poorer fit for me.

2. If I am going to pay 50+ dollars for a tri top what do people suggest. I am currently looking at on sale items such as ORCA, 2XU, ZOOT, Hammer Nutrition and a couple others.

All those brands are good brands.  Not sure about the Hammer products.  My guess is they are made by a similar mfr and logoed with the Hammer name.

3. last dumb question. I see some brands label a top as a jersey, singlet and tank top. What the heck is the difference, and is it a difference a rookie would notice. I am also 6'2" and wiegh 215 pounds. I would prefer not to look like a sausage any recomendations for size/ fit.

Jersey have sleeves, either short or long.  Singlet and Tank Top can be tricky.  Some of that depends on the mfr.  It is more semantics than anything.  Either one would not have sleeves.

I know its a lot of questions but I have to justify it with the family and I need a better excuse than it looks cool. 

If you are wearing them for triathlon, I like ones that have a zipper so you can regulate your core temperature some.

Thanks in advance
2009-12-26 10:03 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I wore a short-sleeve Underarmour shirt for my first tri and it was fine. I bought a 2XU top on sale and I like it better (sleeveless, pockets, zipper, cooler mesh fabric).

You can probably find lots of stuff on sale now. If not, wait 'till February or so, when the new merchandise starts coming in and the stores need to make room.
2009-12-27 6:51 PM

New York, New York

Actually just got a few Hammer tops and shorts,they were on sale! They fit great.. All Voler apparel is made in USA if that means anything...anyhow def satified with the fit..

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri tops Rss Feed