General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to it all Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-27 10:42 AM

Subject: New to it all
I am a little overwhelmed when it comes to this sport. As far as equipment goes. The first thing I see is the price for bikes is very, very broad. Plus most of things I see you only buy the frame than you build the the rest. I have no idea what is and what is not good for me. I'm just starting. Never have ran/biked/swam in ANY races. Only road bike I have ever had was a 1980's model Schwinn! Only thing I knew about it was I could fly down the hill and beat my friends to the bottom!! So when it comes to aluminum vs. carbon, or seat design or tire recommendations. I have no clue.

So enough history. My question is, could someone or many someones give me a list of items I will need, and/or recommend a bike, shoes, swim/training wear. (I plan on running a 5k this summer and then start to train for a half triathlon.) I know this is a tall order. But everyone out there was just like me at one point. Right? I have looked at the Trek bikes. I have actually have "test drove" a couple at a local shop. I like them. $$$ is good. But I don't know if I could spend a few more dollars and get something better.

I don't have a trainer so I cant go to them for this. I found this site from a Doctor my wife works with who competes in Ironman competitions.

Thanks for all of your reply's!!!

2009-12-27 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2578845

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: New to it all
First of all, WELCOME!  As far as gear goes, you can easily get overwhelmed.  You didn't mention a price point for the bike, but the first thing to address is bike fit.  If the bike doesn't fit you, it's not a good deal.  This is where a good local bike shop (LBS) will be a huge asset.  If possible find one that has several brands and models to try out.  Not sure where you're located or if that's even possible.  After a bike, you need a good pair of running shoes.  Also, fit is key for running shoes.  Get to a real running shop, not the big box stores (SportsAuthority, D*cks, etc).  The people at the local running store (LRS) can watch you walk (or run a treadmill if they have it) and get you into the proper shoe for your build and stride.  This is the most important part of the equation as running in the wrong shoe could lead to serious injury.  Voice of experience here.  Of course you know that you need a cycling helmet.  Again, fit is important, but price is not.  Buy the one that fits and fits your budget.  Those are the top 3 essentials.  I'll let the rest of the crowd fill in the rest.  Again, Welcome to BT!
2009-12-27 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
Rowdypaint has great advice. I'll add a little bit. Unless you are experienced and knowledgeable about bike building/maintenance, you don't want to buy a frame and components separately. The knowledge to assemble it is more than you'd think and paying someone else to assemble it will negate any price savings. Plus as Rowdy said, a good relationship with a LBS (local bike store) will serve you well in the long run. They can help you with fit (which is WAY more than just adjusting the seat post and swapping out the handlebar stem.) They will often throw in free adjustments for a year or more (and bikes need LOTS of adjustments. ) Plus, you can try bikes in different price ranges and components. Ride a low end bike with alum/carbon fork and Tiagra. Ride one with full carbon and Ultegra. (heck, ride one with Dura-Ace!) Ride some in between and compare how they shift, how the brakes work etc. Compare how the different frames (both geometry and materials) feel to you. Then you can start to see what's important to you. When I bought a new bike last year, I was set on not spending more than $2000. But once I hopped on a bike with ultegra components, I was hooked! I had surgery on my hand six months earlier and the brakes were just that much better to me. So I ended up spending way more that the $2k, but it was well worth it to me. To others, it probably wouldn't have been worth the $$. But you'll never know unless you hop on some different bikes and try them.

Same goes for the LRS (local running store.) Find one that hires REAL runners (check with local running clubs. Their websites will often list the local RUNNING stores.

For swimming, get some lessons so you learn a good stroke. Swimming is all about efficiency. Bad form will tire you out like you wouldn't believe. And in lessons, you can also learn about pool etiquette (sharing lanes.) And even though polyester suits cost twice as much as lycra, buy polyester. They will last 3x longer and won't get thin and show off your butt crack when you don't know it! Tongue out

OH, and my reminder to all the new bike owners out there... you should wipe down your chain  (with a rag and a little degreaser)  after ever ride, or at least every other ride. And then put just a little chain oil on and WIPE down the chain to remove all excess oil. That will extend your chain/cassette/chain ring life and just make your bike way more enjoyable to ride. I was riding with a guy that was complaining that his bike wasn't shifting smoothly. I said, "well it looks like it could use a good cleaning." He said "They cleaned it when I had it in for an adjustment two months ago." Cool Um, yeah, that would be why it doesn't shift smoothly.
2009-12-27 4:24 PM

Thank you both! As for a price range I am unsure what I will be looking at when the time comes. Less than $2000 I'm sure????Frown  I have a LBS so I will go speak with him. He has been in business for 20+ years. There is another one down the road from me I will check them out also. As for the LRS unsure on that one. I agree with everything fit is everything. Just unsure what feels good now how will it feel at 50+ miles or even 100+ miles. I guess I will have to "shop around". Thanks for the advise on cleaning the chain. Really didn't even think about it! LOL!Tongue out Look forward to more advice from others.
2009-12-27 8:24 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
I'm just starting out, and I will be a bargain-basement triathlete for the next few years. Here's my gear right now, and what it cost me. (I already had basic workout clothes -- sports bras, shorts, pants, etc.)

BIKE
- A road bike I scored for free (asked around, found someone who had one lying around in their garage). $80 for inspection, tune-up, and a couple new parts at the LBS.
- A helmet. $50. 
- A pump for the tires. Came with the bike. 
- Will buy more tools for maintenance once I feel like I have any idea how to maintain the thing.

RUN
- Shoes. $70 in my case. The right pair for you could cost much more or much less. 

SWIM 
- If you've never had someone show you how to swim, get a couple lessons. They don't have to be expensive, and they DO make a difference! Find a friend who used to swim in high school or college, or a friend's kid who swims in high school or college, or e-mail the local college swim team. Professional swim teachers/coaches in my area (major city) wanted $50-$100 an hour, so the $30/hour offered by a girl from my university's swim team (who's also a lifeguard and has taught lessons for 4 years) was a deal. 
- Swimsuit. I'm female and wanted a good polyester suit that would last a while, so mine cost $50. Men's suits cost less. Lycra suits (which usually don't last as long as poly) cost less. 
- Goggles. $16.
- Swim cap is not 100% essential, but I'm blonde and want to minimize the odds of my hair turning green, so $9 for that.
- Place to swim. I'm in school full-time, so I can swim at my university pool.

OTHER
- Lots of people on these forums recommend a race belt, so I plan to pick one up. ~$15.

So let's see, that adds up to... $280, taking into account that the bike and the place to swim were already paid for. Plus swim lessons at $30 each. Plus eventually basic bike maintenance tools, some of which I probably already have (allen wrenches, etc). 

Don't get me wrong -- it's lovely to be able to shell out $$$ to start out -- but you don't absolutely have to! The above has allowed me to get going with training just fine. 
2009-12-28 2:14 AM

Thanks Silver Bullet! I like the name by the way. I am going to check around and see if the LBS could help me out. I'm going to by a road bike from him in February maybe he could come up with something for a race bike. We will see. Thanks for your story!

2009-12-28 5:23 AM
in reply to: #2579603

User image

Master
I agree with a lot of what Silver Bullet said.

For the swim:  You just need a suit and goggles and a place to practice.  If your gym has a pool and you have an old suit/goggles lying around, you are set.  For a race, you will probably want to get an "outfit" so that will take care of your race-day clothing and shorts for bike riding.  Target has cheap goggles but most swimsuits are $30+  For a good deal, try the grab bag suits at www.swimoutlet.com.  Be sure the measure appropriately because the suit companies are not kidding about their measurements.

For the bike:  You just need a bike and a helmet.  It would be good to have a pump at home and some extra tubes.  Target has all of these things, but you can get them at your LBS.  If you still have your 1980s bike, you can use it or score a used one at a garage sale or on e-bay.  Within reason, you can adjust most bikes to fit you (not perfectly, but well enough to bust out a sprint race).  I trained on a 1992 mountain bike and it was fine.  My triathlon bike (the only bike I own) cost $900 on clearance at REI and it's been good enough to get me through 2 HIMs and we will do an IM together this year.  Sure, a more expensive bike will be a little lighter, but you can easily make up for that with better bike fitness.

For the run:  You need shoes and comfy clothes.  I do agree that your local running store is a good place to start.  I wear Brooks shoes and clothes because they fit me the best.  See what kind of shoe works best for you.  All manufacturers carry shoes for underpronators, overpronators and neutral runners, so it's just about selecting the kind of shoe (neutral or control) and the brand that works best for you.  Be sure to go back for a check once you've gotten some miles under your belt.  Target also has cheap, decent running apparel.  Please also note that the spring running gear will be coming to your store soon so they are likely to have last year's apparel on clearance now.

Now, just go run bike and swim! : ) Best of luck!
2009-12-28 1:47 PM

Thanks Ms brown dog,
Are you a spokes person for Target? If not you should be! LOL! I guess with looking at all the supplements and the physical equipment. It is really overwhelming. I do not have my old bike. I am looking on E-Bay though! Thanks for all the help!
Chad
2009-12-28 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

I'm not that far ahead of you...just did my first sprint triathlon in October.  Just to give you the how-low-can-you-go budget perspective, below is what I used/purchased.  I figure on keeping costs down until (if ever) I feel like I've out trained my "equipment".  Then it will be my reward  

Bike -- resurrected my 10 year old mountain bike (Gary Fisher??) and helmet from the depths of the garage.  Got new skinny tires, a tune-up to allow me to shift to all 3 rings (it was stuck), and a pump with a built in pressure guage at my local bike shop. -- around $90 total

Swim -- found a swimsuit from several years ago in my drawer, purchased goggles and a swim cap at Academy.  Watched free total immersion videos online and taught myself to freestyle in the pools at my health club -- not counting gym membership I already had -- less than $20

Run -- pretty much had what I needed...been running off an on for several years (many 5K's, a few 10K's and a half mary).  Good shoes are #1 as others have said.  Got my latest pair of Brooks Adrenaline's on sale online for around $65

Race Fee -- $60ish

USA Triathlon One Year Membership -- $30ish

Race Day: wore my one and only swimsuit and topped it with a tank top and running shorts in the 1st transition

The above may not fit with your goals, especially if you are going to go straight to longer distance tri's, and there is probably something to be said for not shelling out anything on a bike you know you won't want to keep long term.  But for a total newbie doing sprints, it sure is soft on the pocket book 

Have fun, and enjoy the journey!

2009-12-29 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Like many others, I too did my first tri with an older road bike. The only purchases I made were clipless pedals, a used pair of bike shoes to go with and a pair of tri shorts so I wouldn't have to change. Oh, and I rented a wetsuit. You can spend multiple thousands, but for your first, I wouldn't because you really don't know what your needs are.

Also, there are some very good training plans on this site - Couch to 5k is a great starter for running.
2009-12-29 10:50 PM

All good advice! Thank you all! I have an idea of where I need to go. But please anyone keep posting I love knowledge!

Chad

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to it all Rss Feed