General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Upstate New York newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-07 8:25 PM

Albany, NY
Subject: Upstate New York newbie
Hey everybody! I've just started looking into all of this tri- stuff. It looks like a lot of fun. I've been looking for a way to keep in shape in chilly Saratoga, being a transplant from Hawaii. For a little bit of background info, I just finished an MA in Chinese and am jumping into the "real" world of job-hunting. I feel like I'm in ok shape, but I've never done any serious training. If anyone else is from the area, let me know any good trails, spots to swim, etc.

2005-06-08 8:38 PM
in reply to: #170762

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Upstate New York newbie
welcome...not from saratoga though...(ohio)...hope the training and job hunting goes well....fun times those are...
2005-06-09 9:38 AM

Hey and welcome! I'm fairly new to this whole tri thing too. Just restarted training last week now that things have settled down a bit with the new baby. I'm in Rochester, not too far from Saratoga but not exactly next door either. Good luck with your training and goals.
2005-06-09 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
I'm new too, also in Rochester. I was born and raised here so the weather doesn't bother me much. During the really cold and snowy months I move inside to the treadmill, the pool and the weight room. I'm still looking for a nice outdoor swim area but I have time as my stroke isn't that great now. I generally run in the mornings as it's usually much cooler. As of now I bike in the afternoons as the heat doesn't bother me as much while riding as it does while running.

Good luck to you.

Chris.
2005-06-18 8:17 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Hey, all...I'm actually in Michigan, but moved here a couple years ago from Rochester.  Couple things that might be good resources to you: 

1) Rochester has the RATS (rochester area triathletes).  GREAT tri club, do lots of group training and racing, and a run-bike-run that's to die for...

2) Marmadaddy and KGart are also rochester based and can get you hooked up with the newest tri resources in town,

3) There is a run out of Bushnell's Basin on both Saturday and Sunday from the Oven Door Bakery that is incredible, runs of different lengths and different paces, lots of solid athletes and incredible baked goods when you're done, and

4) The GVCC is a great cycling club that hosts rides (training, races) on the best roads with the best courses.  They're pretty serious, but the riding is incredible. 

Hope this helps.  Enjoy!

Rick

2005-06-18 8:39 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Hi! I don't know much about Saratoga but I've been there to visit - it's beautiful! How do you like it so far? You can certainly get some good hill training in the Adirondaks. I went to school even farther north thanh Saratoga - I miss it up there. Good luck!!

2005-06-18 10:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Welcome to the sports...wife and I live in West Carthage which is up near Watertown.  Not sure where Saratoga is though...guess I need to look it up.  Her avatar on here is "benton4" and her first race is coming up in a couple weeks in Buffalo (Tri in the Buff).  She is starting out with the "Try a Tri" distance just to get a feel of what to do when and where.  I am currently down in Alabama on business for a few months but I will be home for the July 4th weekend and that race.

Any BT'ers want to meet up at the race?  Look for my other thread about it.  Don't want to change the subject of this one if you know what I mean.

Michael

2005-06-24 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Northeast
Hi!

My name is Joe and I live in Niskayuna (about 1/2 hour south of you in Saratoga). I frequently ride up there, and am somewhat new around here as well. I moved here last summer around this time from CT. Feel free to drop me a note if you'd like to learn more about triathlons and training in this area!

See you out there!
2005-06-24 8:07 AM

Albany, NY
Hey-
Great to hear from another capital district-er. I actually live in Clifton Park and work in Schenectady so I'm not too far from you. Where do you do your swimming? Also looking for a good runnning store in the area....any tips would be much appreciated, seeing as I'm pretty new to the area and the sport!
2005-07-07 6:15 AM

Rochester, NY
Hi! I am from Upstate New York as well, Rochester, NY that is. I think you'll really see how helpful this site is. Every morning when I first get up, in order to "wake up" and get myself motivate I get on the computer and check out the new forums and articles. It really helps motivate you everyday, knowing that others are going through the same pains and successes you are. Good luck with everything and if you are ever in Rochester let me know, we can go running together! (Even though I'm still not very good...hehe)

The same thing goes for you other Roc folks. We should meet for a run! Good luck to everyone!

2005-07-10 12:22 PM

User image

Rochester, NY
Another Rochester, NY person here. Just moved here from Chicago a week ago. I'm still getting settled but have forced myself this weekend to put on the running shoes and get outside. Work is really busy right now, so my main goal is trying to get a run into my morning routine (no luck yet, any ideas? :-) )

I'll check out the RATS website, thanks for the tip!

2005-07-10 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Stormville, NY
Hi I'm from Stormville I think its about an hour to Saratoga from here. Welcome to the site and the sport. Everyone here has been great.
2005-07-12 6:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
hey meg!  i grew up in saratoga!!  i live in vegas, now, but i'll have to check in with you guys from the capital district when i'm home the next time!  are you doing the saratoga lake tri?!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Upstate New York newbie Rss Feed