General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Constructing an anual training plan with a long prep and base phase Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-30 11:30 AM

User image

New user

Santa Fe, NM
Subject: Constructing an anual training plan with a long prep and base phase
Hi all,

I just changed my A Race to IMCoz.  That race is now 48 weeks away.  I was planning on doing a much earlier IM and am now in the 5th week of a 24 week plan.  I am in the base training phase.

The question is, what should I do with my extra training time in 2010?

Should I just cycle through my base training a few times?  Go completely unstructured for a while?  Focus on strength training?

Is doing 20 weeks of base with a few short races thrown in a good idea?

Thanks for any advice!

David

2009-12-30 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2584147

User image

Expert
Bucks County
Subject: how about a "B" or "C" race till the start of your training
maybe in the weakest discipline or something that looks like fun.
2009-12-30 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Subject: RE: Constructing an anual training plan with a long prep and base phase
Hola David,

I am also trying to finish organizing my plan for 2010 and will have IMCOZ as my A race. We will have a meeting after training on Saturday and I am hoping to come out of it with a better plan. I want to do a 5k OW swim, and Oly and maybe a HIM before the main race.

I will post my ideas when I have them and we can compare notes.

Good luck,

Gerry
2009-12-30 2:40 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Constructing an anual training plan with a long prep and base phase

I would stay active in all three sports, but especially the bike and run.  Bike when you can outside and on the trainer as much as you can stand.  As far as running,  log the miles, but look for something different.  I'd recommend a trail race. 

You need to hold off the structured training until the real IM plan begins, because 4-6 months is a long time to stay focussed. 

2009-12-31 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
pacificera - 2009-12-30 11:30 AM Hi all,

I just changed my A Race to IMCoz.  That race is now 48 weeks away.  I was planning on doing a much earlier IM and am now in the 5th week of a 24 week plan.  I am in the base training phase.

The question is, what should I do with my extra training time in 2010?

Should I just cycle through my base training a few times?  Go completely unstructured for a while?  Focus on strength training?

Is doing 20 weeks of base with a few short races thrown in a good idea?

Thanks for any advice!

David

If I were  you, I would pick a sport of the three that is your weakness and do a 4-8 week focus on it, the other two maintenance mode. When you get done, at the end of a period schedule a race to measure the progress. Than bring the second weakest into focus 4-8 weeks, follow the same with some way of measuring the progress. Also focus within in a reason on some advanced abilities like VO2 max within a reason, LT work in small volumes as neither is your race specific training. Work on those a little mixed in with some base training. Keep the base work going. In my experience, not knowledge, but more personal experience, after about 16 weeks of base training I run into a phase of diminishing returns. I become only good at that "one speed" that I can hold for ever, but it becomes hard to speed up. Make sure you mix it as I mentioned.
Also focus on economy in all 3. A lot of free speed to be gained there. Many athletes are inefficient in their sport movements and technique. Work a lot in that area. That is a foundation ability.
Than, start with IM focus plan at some point that you judge is sufficient time for you to reach performance goals.  
2010-01-01 8:46 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago
I have all my athletes work on speed so that when their "base training period" begins they are in their zones (z1/z2/z3) at faster speeds.

Without knowing anymore about you than what you posted and assuming you have the physiological ability to withstand speed training at this time of the year base on your past athletic experience and current physical fitness; this is what I would recommend.

Edited by Steve- 2010-01-01 8:47 AM

2010-01-01 11:48 AM

User image

New user

Santa Fe, NM
Thanks, all.  The bike is my limiter, so I will go through some bike specific training cycles with just enough running and swimming to maintain them. 

See you in Mexico!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Constructing an anual training plan with a long prep and base phase Rss Feed