General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman New Zealand : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-30 6:12 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Ironman New Zealand : Official Thread

2010-01-13 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2585109

Subject: RE: Ironman New Zealand : Official Thread

Not a whole lot of activity going on with this group.  This will be my first IM.  Anyone have any advice?  How is the course?  Windy, calm, how bad are the hills? 

2010-01-16 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2612952

New user

Hello,

I did IMNZ last year and loved it. My wife and I went with Ken Glah's group at Endurance Sports Travel and I would highly recommend them.

The swim was very nice but cold. After the swim you have a pretty long run to get to T1.

The bike course has a fairly steep hill almost at the start (at least within the first 2 to 3 miles). You will do it twice. On the way out, the course is fast. On the way back, you have about a 5 mile section where you are continuously going uphill (2 to 10% grade if I recall correctly). It was not very windy on the course but it was chilly and it rained on and off.

On the way to Taupo, some of the folks in our travel group kept telling us the run course was flat. It is NOT. It is not terrible but there are some definite rollers you will encounter. The later in the race the more hilly they feel too. Crowd support on the run was fantastic. Probably the best I have encountered of the 4 IMs I have completed.

I love this race venue and had planned to do it again this year. Unfortunately, my wife got excited by the prospect of going to China so I am doing it instead. It will be good.

Good luck to you and enjoy.
2010-01-19 2:21 PM

New user
Swim is easy to navigate, clear but cold water.
The bike is very boring a couple of rollers and one climb out of town, i don't recall anything as bad as 10% and the rollers are very short.
The run is not flat. Again little rollers but very well supported. It is out and back so family can see you twice a lap.
Taupo is a very small place, but there is a lot to do around the area. it is about 4hr drive from either auckland or wellington(i am in wellington), so getting your bike there from the airport could be a problem unless you go with a tour. Also accomadation could be quite expensive.
I might even do it this year!
2010-01-27 10:45 AM

User image

Regular
Liverpool, England
I was entered to do this race but had to withdraw due to injury. Gutted.

I will do it one day though. The 2012 race is the target at the moment.
2010-02-03 11:35 PM

User image

Regular
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'm in, just got my #977.  This will be my first IM can't wait.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman New Zealand : Official Thread Rss Feed