General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base workout ??'s -trying to get back into shape- Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-31 8:14 AM

Subject: Base workout ??'s -trying to get back into shape-
I appolgize if this question has been asked before.  Recently I signed up for a HIM which starts in 6 mo 24 day 22 hrs 47 mins and for the past month I've been logging medium intensity miles on my bike trainer and treadmill.  I plan on using the 20 week HIM program posted on this website but what do you suggest I do until then?  I need to build my base as I've let myself go a little, but here is what I'm planning on starting come next week.  Currently I can complete all of these distances but I want your opinion as the whether it's to much, loaded wrong, etc.  My plan is to exercise at a nice easy pace (8:30-9:00 min/mile run, 17-19 mph bike) to condition my body before I try and any speed workouts.  Please share yours thoughts.  Thanks.

Monday                                   Tuesday                                   Wednesday

Short Run (4 – 5 miles)             Long Bike (30+ miles)              Short Run (4 – 5 miles)

Core workout                                                                           Core workout

Thursday                                  Friday                                      Saturday

Short Bike (15-20 miles)          Long Run (8 – 10 miles)           Off

Core workout

Sunday

Short Bike (15 – 20 miles)

Core workout

2009-12-31 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2585849

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Subject: RE: Base workout ??'s -trying to get back into shape-
Where do you fit your swimming in?
2009-12-31 8:30 AM

I'm a pretty comfortable swimmer, so I wasn't planning on trainning until 3 months out.  Typically once I get my cardio into shape the swimming seems to fall in line without to much effort.  And in the past my view has been to "just get through it" since this doesn't seems to be a real time killer.  over the past half dozen sprints I've done I've swam at (16min / .5 miles) on average with minimal effort.  But don't get me wrong I WILL BE TRAINING come 3 months out, but just not yet.  Comments?

2009-12-31 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2585897

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
kBirken - 2009-12-31 9:30 AM

I'm a pretty comfortable swimmer, so I wasn't planning on trainning until 3 months out.  Typically once I get my cardio into shape the swimming seems to fall in line without to much effort.  And in the past my view has been to "just get through it" since this doesn't seems to be a real time killer.  over the past half dozen sprints I've done I've swam at (16min / .5 miles) on average with minimal effort.  But don't get me wrong I WILL BE TRAINING come 3 months out, but just not yet.  Comments?

Just a little input... If I were you I would still swim  AT LEAST once a week. Im a competitive swimmer and it is all about keepin that feel for the water. Even if you get in only once a week then 3 months out really start hitting the swimming more, you will be way more a head then if you dont swim at all until 3 months out
2009-12-31 9:49 AM

Thanks for the advice.  Maybe I'll try to hit the pool once a week, or every other week.  It's just such a struggle working 40hrs, volunteer EMT & fire, wife, three kids (3mo, 2yr, 4yr) and getting in biking and running, but yes you're right.............even a little would be better than nothing.  augh.........this sport is going to lead to a divorce.   

2009-12-31 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
like above said, once a week will get you a base at least. you could alternate weeks of 2 bike days 3 run days 1 swim day then next week 3 bike days 2 run days 1 swim day - allowing you to still get your other activities in AND 1 swim a week.

you'll thank yourself for starting earlier and getting a base regardless of how well you swim.

2009-12-31 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
OK, it looks like 16-20 miles running and 60-70+ biking. That seems like a good place to start as long as none of the workouts is too difficult. For example: 8-10 miles of running for a person who hasn't run that far regularly may be too agressive. Base work doesn't necessarily need short and long sessions. A key for base is to bump up the volume at an easy effort level. That way when you get to the race plan you will be able to handle the load. Typically base training will involve much higher volume than the race plan, thus making the shorter, more intense sessions easier to adapt to.

So while you're starting at these levels, the goal of base training would be to work up to about double that load and hold it until you start the race plan.

And as others have mentioned you should add some swimming.
2010-01-01 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2586296

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Donskiman - 2009-12-31 9:39 AM

OK, it looks like 16-20 miles running and 60-70+ biking. That seems like a good place to start as long as none of the workouts is too difficult. For example: 8-10 miles of running for a person who hasn't run that far regularly may be too agressive. Base work doesn't necessarily need short and long sessions. A key for base is to bump up the volume at an easy effort level. That way when you get to the race plan you will be able to handle the load. Typically base training will involve much higher volume than the race plan, thus making the shorter, more intense sessions easier to adapt to.

So while you're starting at these levels, the goal of base training would be to work up to about double that load and hold it until you start the race plan.

And as others have mentioned you should add some swimming.

I havn't checked, but does the 20 week HIM plan the OP plans to follow presume that you've worked up to 30mpw running and 150mpw biking?

also in an ideal world, you'd be able to keep swimmign. But if you have to choose between spending an extra 2 hours (including packing, driving, swimming, showering, changing and getting back home) swimming vs. spending it with your kids...I think you can easily get away with picking up the swimming 3 months out if you feel confident in your swim performance int he past.

It's all about balancing training and life.
2010-01-04 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2587662

Serious?  A 20 week HIM program is assuming you can run 30 miles/week and bike 150 miles/week?  Let's say you're working out 6 days a week, that means each day you either run 10 miles / day or bike 50 miles / day.  It seems like that is a little excessive or am I just THAT weak?  Hell if my workout schedule is Run 10, Bike 50, Run 10, Bike 50, Run 10, Bike 50, rest.  I would think I'm almost ready for the race, let alone just starting to train for it.  Please let me know how everyone else feels.
2010-01-04 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2592658

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
kBirken - 2010-01-04 11:12 AM

Serious?  A 20 week HIM program is assuming you can run 30 miles/week and bike 150 miles/week?  Let's say you're working out 6 days a week, that means each day you either run 10 miles / day or bike 50 miles / day.  It seems like that is a little excessive or am I just THAT weak?  Hell if my workout schedule is Run 10, Bike 50, Run 10, Bike 50, Run 10, Bike 50, rest.  I would think I'm almost ready for the race, let alone just starting to train for it.  Please let me know how everyone else feels.

In response to me? I was asking, in response to this advice from the poster above:

which would put him at those starting levels to start the 20 week plan. Maybe OK for an advanced/recurrent/midseason HIMer, but I agree not needed for a first time HIMer.

I was basically asking my previous poster if his advice really fits with the OP and the suggested BT plan.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base workout ??'s -trying to get back into shape- Rss Feed