General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Joining the IT Band family... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-07 11:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: Joining the IT Band family...
...enough said. Dang.

Hadn't trained in over 3 weeks before my tri on Saturday. I had been training pretty hard/long following a 1/2 Ironman plan before my forced hiatus (illness, work), but I figured the base would carry me through. The race went fine and I was pretty sore all over Monday. Today, all that's left is pain consistent with ITBS. AAAHHHH! Classic symptoms. Darn it all to heck! (PG version of what I yelled earlier).

Just had to vent. This is sucking on chilli dog (10 points to the one that can name where I got that from).

2005-06-08 12:08 AM
in reply to: #170829

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Joining the IT Band family...

Jack and Diane, John Cougar Mellencamp Johann Sebastian Bach or whatever his name is now.

Tough luck on the ITBS.  I thought you got it (or the pain) while running?  At least thats how mine was.

2005-06-08 12:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Sorry to hear about it. Dumb question, but I always see the "IT Band" mentioned on here. What is that? Obviously some ligament/tendon, etc.
2005-06-08 12:37 AM
in reply to: #170833

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
glf33 - 2005-06-07 9:08 PM

Jack and Diane, John Cougar Mellencamp Johann Sebastian Bach or whatever his name is now

10 points to Gary!!!
2005-06-08 12:39 AM
in reply to: #170843

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Jay,

"The iliotibial band itself is a thickened strip of fascia that extends from the tubercle of the iliac crest and provides the insertion for the tensor fascia lata and gluteus maximus muscles. The iliotibial band continues down the lateral side of the leg, and in conjunction with the patellar retinaculum ultimately attaches onto the lateral tubercle of the tibia ( Gerdy's tubercle ) and lateral proximal fibular head. A bursa located at this attachment facilitates movement of the iliotibial band over the lateral epicondyle. The iliotibial band's primary function is to provide static stability to the lateral aspect of the knee. When the knee is flexed to an angle greater than 30 degrees, the iliotibial band shifts posteriorly behind the lateral femoral epicondyle. During knee extension, the band shifts anteriorly in front of the lateral femoral epicondyle. It is this motion that commonly leads to irritation and inflammation within the iliotibial band, bursa, and the periosteum of the lateral femoral epicondyle"

More that you would ever want to know.
2005-06-08 2:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
jasmine, i'm so with you it's not even funny. after a decade in which exercise consisted of cooking and drinking wine, i jumped into tri training in the beginning of May and prompty tried to keep up with a group running 12-18 miles a week. Bad Idea Jeans, big time.

Took a few weeks off, was feeling better, then plowed through a 3.3 mile run in my first tri ever, and while I finished (whoo hoo!!) man did it hurt. Classic ITB stuff, just like you. I am now back to square one, taking longer off this time and planning on a VERY slow taper back into running...

hope your knee starts healing soon!!

2005-06-08 3:49 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Wow a late eighties SNL reference...hadn't heard that one since high school.
2005-06-08 5:35 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
I am soooo sorry. Mine is still in terrible shape, so much so that I am not even running at all. and my hip and ankle on that side now seem to be compensating in a wacky way. I have an appt TODAY thank god to see what can be done.

the only thing that has helped is to roll around on a foam tube on the bad side. literally roll on the ground up and down so that the tube thing works on loosening that whole side from knee to butt. the stretches don;t work at all...

http://www.runningtimes.com/04may/itb.htm

Edited by possum 2005-06-08 5:37 AM
2005-06-08 7:50 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Ice and stretching for the IT Band.
2005-06-08 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Do some barefoot running at a local park. My marathon running brother was suffering from this and he did some short distance runs and it cleared it right up. He continued icing and stretching but was impressed by how quick the pain went away.

Mike
2005-06-08 12:00 PM
in reply to: #170845

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

jasmine - 2005-06-08 12:39 AM Jay, "The iliotibial band itself is a thickened strip of fascia that extends from the tubercle of the iliac crest and provides the insertion for the tensor fascia lata and gluteus maximus muscles. The iliotibial band continues down the lateral side of the leg, and in conjunction with the patellar retinaculum ultimately attaches onto the lateral tubercle of the tibia ( Gerdy's tubercle ) and lateral proximal fibular head. A bursa located at this attachment facilitates movement of the iliotibial band over the lateral epicondyle. The iliotibial band's primary function is to provide static stability to the lateral aspect of the knee. When the knee is flexed to an angle greater than 30 degrees, the iliotibial band shifts posteriorly behind the lateral femoral epicondyle. During knee extension, the band shifts anteriorly in front of the lateral femoral epicondyle. It is this motion that commonly leads to irritation and inflammation within the iliotibial band, bursa, and the periosteum of the lateral femoral epicondyle" More that you would ever want to know.

Jay, yeah, what she said and plus it feels like you have ground glass rubbing on the outer sides of your knee joints when you walk.

Edited by Tania 2005-06-08 12:00 PM

2005-06-08 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
Somethign that really helps me is to massage my IT with the whirlpool jets in a hottub. You have to sit really close to them but it works really well. I try to do it for 5 minutes before and after a swim. And that's a long time if the band is really tender!
Good luck, go easy, you'll get through it.
2005-06-08 2:00 PM
in reply to: #170845

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Subject: I would recommend...

the products from tp massageball.com. They make a hands-free massage device just for this problem.  It is called the quadballer. It works by penetrating deep into the belly of the quad muscle to relieve knots, spasms or trigger points, whatever you want to call them.  Most cases of IT band pain are caused when your rectus femoris(main quad muscle) gets overworked and looses it's elasticity.  When this happens your tfl and psoas tighten and the psoas pulls down on the vertebrae in your back.  The psoas connects your femur to your spine.  This in turn causes your pelvis to tilt, which force your IT band to shorten and pull on the attachments in your knee or hip area.  The pain you are feeling is the symptom.  If you treat the problem(itght quads), the symptom will go away.  Sorry for the long explanation, but go to www.tpmassageball.com to find out how you can whip this thing and start running again. Feel free to pm me because I am a rep for this company, and have helped many other athletes with similar problems. 

Bryan

Attachments
----------------
DO I HAVE IT BAND SYDROME.htm (18KB - 71 downloads)
IT BAND TREAT THE PROBLEM NOT SYMPTOMS.htm (25KB - 78 downloads)
2005-06-08 2:10 PM

User image

I agree, my sister suffers from the same thing and she used some of the exercises on tpmassageball.com and she found herself really gaining back mobility fast without a lot of pain again. Definitly do the icing thing though too, I havent heard about the running in the park barefoot thing, maybe I ought to tell her, but she was also adivsed to walk on rocks barefoot ...that sounds terrible, but what it was is that you get a bunch of different sized rocks and step on them letting your feet jsut form to the rock its a great massage and also a great exercise in knee stabilization!
Take Care
2005-06-08 2:25 PM
in reply to: #171239

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Subject: RE: I would recommend...
TRIBMAC - 2005-06-08 2:00 PM

the products from tp massageball.com. They make a hands-free massage device just for this problem.  It is called the quadballer. It works by penetrating deep into the belly of the quad muscle to relieve knots, spasms or trigger points, whatever you want to call them.  Most cases of IT band pain are caused when your rectus femoris(main quad muscle) gets overworked and looses it's elasticity.  When this happens your tfl and psoas tighten and the psoas pulls down on the vertebrae in your back.  The psoas connects your femur to your spine.  This in turn causes your pelvis to tilt, which force your IT band to shorten and pull on the attachments in your knee or hip area.  The pain you are feeling is the symptom.  If you treat the problem(itght quads), the symptom will go away.  Sorry for the long explanation, but go to www.tpmassageball.com to find out how you can whip this thing and start running again. Feel free to pm me because I am a rep for this company, and have helped many other athletes with similar problems. 

Bryan

I have only had one bad case of IT band pain, and thank God, because it sucks!  If I ever get it again, I am going straight back to tpmassageball.com for the quadballer.  I used their footballer and baller block to cure myself of chronic shin splints that I had suffered from for many years, when absolutely nothing else worked (and I tried everything), so I can wholeheartedly endorse their products.

2005-06-08 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Thanks all! I'm glad to hear I'm in good company. I think I'm going to go with the whole massage/ice/rest thing, with some water work in there for kicks.

Tania, glass rubbing on the outside of my knee is actually a very accurate description. Gosh, now I can describe it to my friends who think I'm a cry baby!

Hope we all heal soon.

2005-06-08 4:09 PM
in reply to: #171258

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
jasmine - 2005-06-08 1:28 PM

Thanks all! I'm glad to hear I'm in good company. I think I'm going to go with the whole massage/ice/rest thing, with some water work in there for kicks.

Tania, glass rubbing on the outside of my knee is actually a very accurate description. Gosh, now I can describe it to my friends who think I'm a cry baby!

Hope we all heal soon.

I've always described it as a whip hitting me on the side of the knee every time it bends a certain way. my hip is so tight, and my knee is so sore, I actually can;t sleep some nights unless I put a pillow between my knees to take the pressure off... I saw a sports doc today who referred me to a PT who is going to work on the whole leg for awhile...
2005-06-08 6:16 PM
in reply to: #171139

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Tania - 2005-06-08 11:00 AM

Jay, yeah, what she said and plus it feels like you have ground glass rubbing on the outer sides of your knee joints when you walk.

Hmmmmmm....mine feels more like someone suddenly swinging an ice pick at the side of your knee....

Heading to the PT tomorrow actually in yet another attempt to get rid of this.  Icing hasn't worked.  Stretching hasn't worked.  Heck, I even stopped running for more than two months and THAT didn't work.  Every time it just comes right back...going on nearly two years now!

Edited by jldicarlo 2005-06-08 6:19 PM
2005-06-08 6:40 PM
in reply to: #171423

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port

Jennifer, Are you tired of trying every thing including rest, ice, massage, time off, ibuprofen, different pillows, etc,etc?  How many trips/sessions have you done with the pt?  Have you realized after all of this, that no matter what you do, unless you treat the problem, the symptoms will never go away??  Why don't you ask Tania about her shin splint problem that she no longer suffers from because she ordered the TP MASSAGE BALL PKG from me.  How much longer do you want to put up with this?  Do you enjoy pain?  I don't understand why someone would put up with this for so long!    I have seen and treated many runners at the Boston Marathon who put up with various problems like shin splints, plantar fasciitis, IT BAND syndrome, and others who had no success with other methods.  Oh yeah, did I mention that I had serious problems for 8+ mnths before I used the tp ball kit.  I have benn injury free for 4+ mnths now.  I know I can help you whip this problem, just pm me and I will tell you how.

Bryan

Edited by TRIBMAC 2005-06-08 6:42 PM
2005-06-08 6:48 PM
in reply to: #171258

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Subject: No it's more like...
somebody is taking a hot poker and jamming it through the skin on the outside of your knee or hip bone. There wasn't enough ice, ibuprofen, celebrex or vicodin in the world that could make it feel better for more than 1 day at a shot.  I really don't understand why we as athletes put up with pain, just so we can squeeze in another mile.
2005-06-08 7:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Thanks for the explanation. I was lost in the first sentence of that scientific jargon, but I get it now. I have done a few longer runs lately and felt mild soreness on the outside of my knees, but it went away overnight. Scary! I thought it was my ACL.

2005-06-08 7:57 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Hmmmm....be cautious.  Mine is just 'soreness on the outside of the knee' on a daily basis...it's only when I run 15+ miles that I get the attack of the killer ice pick...and it goes from just soreness to ice pick in one stride...
2005-06-08 11:16 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
If I may offer a little advice, I think there are two key principles to curing ITBS. The first is to strengthen your hips. Even though the pain is usually in the knee, often the source of the problem is that your puny hips don't offer enough control. Running is unidirectional, so it's easy to neglect muscles used in lateral movement. The other thing is to stretch out your entire leg, not just the ITB. I was fighting my own ITBS off and on for four years before realizing that I just needed to stretch my hammies to make it go away for good. These ideas are just based on personal experiments, but at least for me they make a big difference in curing/preventing the all-too-common ITB Hell. Good luck, kids.

-d
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Joining the IT Band family... Rss Feed