General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie looking for bike ideas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-31 12:49 PM

Shorewood, MN
Subject: Newbie looking for bike ideas
Just decided to quit smoking and sign up for a triathlon in Annadale, MN this summer.  I was wondering if anyone was selling a tri bike or knew the best place in MN to get a good, well priced bike?  I don't want to spend over $1,000 but hope that I can still get a good deal.  I am hoping to be competetive but don't think I need to have the best, at least not yet.

Thanks,

Tom in Shorewood

2009-12-31 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2586550

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Newbie looking for bike ideas

Welcome!  There are a lot of ways to answer your question...

1.  What size are you?  Height, weight, etc.  If by some miracle you are around 5'5'' or so, I have just the bike for you!   But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part...

2.  If you want a tri-bike, your price range will be for a used bike.  There are bikes available on Craigslist list occasionally.  I would definitely look there regularly.  You might be able to find a tri-bike for 1k or less online, but you will need to put it together somewhat and you give up the support of a bike shop.

3.  You might want to visit Gear West.  They have both tri and road bikes and will help you get an idea of options.  You can afford a new road bike in your price range, and could get accessories to make it more tri specific (aerobars, etc).    I suggest Gear West because they are the most triathlon-friendly shop in the area.  However, another local bike shop can certainly give you ideas and get you started.  I bought my first road bike at Bokoo Bikes and liked them (and the bike) very much.  In fact, I still ride that bike - a Trek - a lot.

I'll start with that for now, perhaps others will have ideas or if this sparks more questions please ask.

Best wishes in achieving your goals!  Welcome to BT.

2009-12-31 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2586950

Shorewood, MN

Thanks for the help.  Thankfully, nothing against you, I am 5'11" so I don't think your bike would work.  I have looked a couple of times on craigslist but haven't found anything yet.  I will go over to gear west and talk to them since I need everything.  I just started training a couple of weeks ago so I want to start looking for the proper gear.

Thanks,

Tom

2009-12-31 6:15 PM

User image

Regular
Central MN
If your in the St. Cloud area, I would recommend Revolution Cycle and Ski - very supportive of the local du/tri community and are now starting to stock triathlon specific gear - I believe they only carry Felt brand triathlon specific bikes, but if your new to the sport, I think you'll find a road bike better for all around riding. They often have last year's models at a reduced rate. Good luck!
2010-01-01 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
I would keep watching Craigslist.  Also, many local bike shops have 2009 closeouts right now.  I would agree that if you are looking at a tri specific bike, Gear West is a very good choice as they are very knowledgeable.  You will likely fit into a common size 54 or 56 depending on your inseam and other body dimensions.  Used bikes come up often and will give you some very good value to get started.  Good luck and have a great race in Annandale.  It is a really nice course and you should enjoy it very much.

2010-01-02 6:04 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
If you need all of the gear associated with tri's, I'd recommend this deal:

http://gearwestbike.com/articles/gear-west-point-packages-pg375.htm

This will get you an entry level tri bike and loads of gear to boot.  It's a bit above your price point, but something to consider. 

Go chat with Gear West.  Tell them what you're looking to do and they won't steer you wrong.  I've never been given the hard sell there.

Welcome!

mahoneynyc - 2009-12-31 12:49 PM Just decided to quit smoking and sign up for a triathlon in Annadale, MN this summer.  I was wondering if anyone was selling a tri bike or knew the best place in MN to get a good, well priced bike?  I don't want to spend over $1,000 but hope that I can still get a good deal.  I am hoping to be competetive but don't think I need to have the best, at least not yet.

Thanks,

Tom in Shorewood

2010-01-03 8:34 AM

My suggestion would be to find a decent and very used road bike for less than half your budget.  $1000 is a lot to spend on a sport that you are just trying for the first time.  Then put some aero bars on it and you'll have almost all of the advantage of a tri bike anyhow.  

If it turns out the tri life isn't for you then you still have some of that money.  If it turns out that you become addicted to the sport like so many of us have then invest in a tri bike that fits your needs based on what you've learned to that point.  You'll already have over $500 saved toward your purchase.  Plus when all is said and done you'll have an old road bike as an option in case you start doing rides with local groups or to just use as a beater. 

My first bike cost me $300 and was used for 2 years before I built a tri bike.  It now sits in the basement attached to my trainer and still gets used frequently.

2010-01-05 8:31 AM

Shorewood, MN
Thank you everyone for your ideas and thoughts.  Love this site and the people on it.  Still finding new information everyday.  I am going to try to run over to Gear West today to check stuff out.  I think I still have some time before I need to buy a bike seeing as it's still below 0.

Happy new year,

Tom
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie looking for bike ideas Rss Feed