General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Peroneal Tendon Surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-01 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Subject: Peroneal Tendon Surgery
I just found out I need to have surgery on my peroneal tendon (sometime in Jan). The Dr says a minimum of 8 weeks before I'm back in the pool. Anybody had this type of surgery? I'm training for a HIM and wondering how quickly I can start running and what the recovery will be like. Thanks.

2010-01-01 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2588000

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Peroneal Tendon Surgery

Are your tendons dislocating?  I see no reason why you would not be able to swim for 8 weeks unless you will be casted tht long.....running will probably take 3 months.

2010-01-02 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota

The brevis tendon has an 1 1/2 inch tear in it. I'm told the hard cast will be for four to six weeks. My plan is to start running in the pool as soon as I can. Th HIM that I'm training for is in Sep but there are some shorter races that I hope to participate in. The earliest is an Olympic in early June.

2010-01-17 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Had the surgery last Friday. They did a spinal block and gave me something that put me to sleep. I woke up about an hour and a half later and it was done. Another hour and a half and I was on my way home (drugged of course). So far not to much pain, just sitting around with my leg elevated. The Dr says no weight on that leg for four weeks....I guess I'm learning a lesson in patience. The good news is that at least I'm on the recovery side and I know I'll be back at the sport I love at some point before summer.  Being without something is a good reminder to not take it for granted when you have it.
2010-02-18 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Well, one more week to go in the hard cast (it will have been six weeks). I start physical therapy the same day as the cast comes off and I'm anxious to see how it goes.  The next step in this process is a boot for two or three weeks. I've not had any weight on that leg for the six weeks so I'm sure it will be pretty weak. I'm grateful that I will be able to start doing things even if it will be slow going.  I asked the DR about doing a local 30 mile bike ride on the 25th of April and he rolled his eyes at me and said let's get the cast off first...
2010-02-25 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Hard cast came off today. Wow that feels better. The Dr says limited weight on that ankle for the next three weeks (I'm still in an air cast for three more weeks). No pool swimming until the air cast comes off. After that I can begin limited light workouts for three weeks. So six weeks from now I can sart training again!! I have to say I am surprised at how long the recovery is for this type of injury.

2010-06-10 8:53 AM

CO
Mike,

Would you post an update or PM me on how you've been doing since your last post.  I'm going to have this surgery in July.  Dr said 2 weeks in hard cast and 4 in splint after that, but it sounds like that might not necessarily be the case.

Thanks
2010-06-10 1:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Mike,
I sent you a PM with my phone number so feel free to call if you like. I thought it might be a good idea to post something here as well. When I first found out that I was going to have this surgery I asked one of the nurses how long it would be until my ankle was "normal" again and she replied without hesitation "six months to a year". I thought no way, I'm a triathlete, in great shape and I heal fast. Her experience will overrule my optimism. It's been five months since the surgery and I am running again (I did a sprint tri last weekend) but I still have a ways to go before what I would term as a full recovery. I was about 30 seconds or so slower (per mile) in the run than last year. Here are a few of my recommendations;

1. Listen to your Dr and don't push it, remember doing tri's is a lifestyle that you want to do for a long time and will be there when you are ready. It is going to be a slow recovery process.
2. I was very careful when I first started biking and swimming. For bike training I used a recumbent bike with no clips to avoid pulling on the tendon, and with swimming I didn't push off the walls for the same reason.
3. Elliptical training worked great for me. I replaced the runs in my training program with time on the elliptical. (I'm still doing this as I ease back into running).  This surgery will at least initially cause your running gait to be different, something I just didn't think of going into it, and with that you get some odd aches and pains. I work on running form for the short running that I have been doing and can see improvement week over week.
4. Another strategy is aqua jogging. I personally didn't try this but someone I know who had this surgery did and it worked for her.
5. I tried to do some core work while I was in the cast, I don't know how effective it was but it gave me something to do.
6. I bought some triathlon DVDs and books that I watched/read while sitting around with my leg up. I also watched a lot of the youtube triathlon videos. Anything to keep you motivated...
7. Compression socks helped keep the swelling down once the hard cast was off. My surgery ankle is still larger than the other one. I ice the ankle almost every night.
8. There are lots of things that can cause this type of tear in your tendon one of them happens to be stress caused by high arches and overuse. My Dr recommended orthotic's which I had custom made to the tune of $450... nothing but junk. They caused me to start having back hip and knee pain just walking around in them. I found some online that are endorsed by Dean Karnazes (ultramarathon runner) at yoursole.com. They work fantastic for me.
9. I have started to ramp up my training and am currently beginning a HIM program. Next year IM Madison is on my list...

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.
Have a great day,
Mike
2010-06-30 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2913790

User image

Chicago
mikfinne - 2010-06-10 2:45 PM
1. Listen to your Dr and don't push it, remember doing tri's is a lifestyle that you want to do for a long time and will be there when you are ready. It is going to be a slow recovery process.

X2!

I was in a car accident in 2003 and didn't listen to my doctor and jumped right back into running... I ended up having to leave my college track team and had to have arthroscopic surgery to remove scar tissue in 2005.
Luckily my pain is gone but that gave notice to my peroneal tendon being mis-placed.  My ortho wants to do this surgery but I've been putting it off...

Anyways, two things, 1- I live with two PTs and didn't realize most of them now have the doctorites in physical therapy.  These people really do know what they're talking about and I will NEVER hesitate to listen to them again.
2- Not sure if it's of use but every once in a while when my ankle gets tired/inflammed I use a compression brace.  It has air pockets that force my peroneal tendons into place (they like to go over and under my ankle bone and slap back together when walking).  I don't have my brace with me but I can look up the brand.  It was $95 from my doctor (since insurance decided not to cover it) but it's been totally worth it for me.

THANK YOU for posting this!  Sorry for those that have/had to go through it, but I appreciate hearing about it (as I might be going through it later)!
2010-11-16 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
I'm resurrecting this thread since my peroneal tendon started hurting.  My last run was on November 6th and my tendons, while not hurting anymore, feel a little "loose".  I went to see a physical therapist and at one point she specifically said "high, rigid arches".

I'm going to look into the orthotics you mentioned, but wonder how they would work with another orthotic just for my right foot, which I use to help with a leg length discrepancy.

On to do more research...but any insights anyone can share would be appreciated.
2011-02-01 8:43 AM

New user

Good thread.

I go in tomorrow for an MRI.  The Dr. thinks it is a ruptured or torn peroneal tendon.  We will see. I was just curious as to how the OP damaged the tendon. As for me...this has been going on for 3 years  or so.  It comes and goes (once or twice per year) and has been getting progressively worse.  I ran a relatively long run last saturday and haven't been able to walk without a limp since.

I don't see any other solution, but surgery...

2011-05-31 3:06 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Wow- I'm glad I just came across this thread.  I've had peroneal tendinits back in Nov but since it didn't bother me while running or afterwards (only was tender to the touch) I kept running and training for my marathon.  I ran 3 marathons in 3 straight months which was a horrible idea- each race I had signs of the peroneal tendonitis flaring up that caused me to have a bad race.  So after each race I was determined to have a good marathon and it never happened.  In Jan I finished Goofy's Challenge and had a really messed up right foot and an unhappy peroneal tendon and PF.

I went to the sports med doc after that and was diagnosed with peroneal tendonitis.  Obviously I stopped running but it was extremely painful- so painful that in order for me to wear shoes I had to cut the side down since it hit right at the tendon and just killed it.  After 2 months it was still hurting pretty bad with RICE and PT, so I got an ultra sound done to make sure it wasn't torn- nope, no tear.  The doc gave me a steroid injection and said to give it a few days and I could start back running.  That was very optimistic of him.

I tried to ease into running- did some run/walk combos in hopes that I would be ready for Vineman 140.6 in July but did not have any luck.  I started to have major hip flexor and IT band issues in that leg- not to mention the plantar fasciitis that had developed back in Jan was acting up as well. 

So then I said goodbye to Vineman and went back to PT.  I laid off running and got some new shoes- switched from neutrals back to stability, which was a good decision on my part because I never should have been in neutral shoes.  That was a month ago when I switched back and the stability shoes have done wonders for my peroneal tendon- it's been a huge difference and now it's very happy. I wish I would have made the switch much sooner.  But I'm still trying to shake the PF thing.  It's awful.

I'm going on 6 months of essentially no running.  Looking back I should have gotten an MRI on my foot right after Goofy's since it was pretty messed up. I never used a boot but probably should have.

I guess long story short,  it takes tendons a long time to heal.  And I'm not sure if my post is helpful or not- if anything you can all relate to how pesky the peroneal tendon can be.  My sports med doc told me it could take a full year for this to heal.  Sigh- I'm starting to get a bit depressed.

Edited by runnergirl 2011-05-31 3:09 PM
2011-06-14 7:03 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
gangagoutam - 2011-06-12 4:16 AM

To gain weight, it requires eating calorie in your nutritious food. An example of a breakfast while on the weight gain diet includes chopped nuts, a banana, milk and fruit juice. A lunch would involve ½ cup of rice, 1 serving of pulses, 1 serving of curd or any non-vegetarian item, 1 serving of vegetable. You are also allowed snacks spaced mid-way between meals, like teatime in the evening. Eat a sensible dinner similar to what I have suggested for lunch. When attempting to gain weight, it is often beneficial to eat multiple small meals per day, rather than a few large meals.

bodybuilding workouts

gain muscles

What does this have to do with peroneal tendinitis? 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Peroneal Tendon Surgery Rss Feed