Atlanta Track Club
41F / 5C
Overcast
Total Time = 39m 58s
Overall Rank = ?/?
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/36
Event warmup:

Stretched, ran 2 slow miles, then stretched again.
Run
  • 39m 55s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Having taken off the previous 3 months, I wasn't sure how this race would go. My goal was to finish under 40 minutes, but I felt that even that time was a long shot.

I didn't start at the front of the race today. I started maybe 5 or 6 rows back. If I had been training leading up to this race, I'd be in the front line.

At the start, I started my Garmin and just proceeded to run semi hard. Right off the bat, I almost got tripped up twice by the same girl. I caught myself and then just stared/glared. Then I sped up a bit to get clear of the her and the other runners.

For the first three miles, I felt really good. I concentrated on landing softly and keeping my knee straight. I wanted to make sure I was doing everything I could to prevent ITB irritation.

At the start of the 4th mile, I could tell my run fitness was just not there. I could feel myself slow down. I wasn't mad at myself, though. I had put up a good fight through the first half of the race.

The wind really picked up and beat me down at this point. A few runners were running single file, taking turns running to the front to block the wind. I jumped in this group and joined the rotation. It helped some, but not much.

At mid 5 mile point, a bearded guy that reminded me of Grizzly Adams caught up to me. His footsteps were loud and he was breathing down my neck. He stayed behind me and then predictably made his move at the 6 mile mark. I sighed, looked at him, and told him that "You're going to make me earn this (OA) spot the hard way." We raced hard to the finish, but I felt a burst of energy and left him at least 5 steps behind.

Once I crossed the line, I started to look for the clock...Damn it! I forgot to turn off Garmin! I did and it read 40:02. That means I came in sub 40! I was very happy about that...

The Overall winner ran a 33:xx. Wow.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.

I took off all of OCT-DEC due to ITB issues. This is probably as good a run as I could have expected.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got a water and then picked up my shirt. I was surprised to see it was a long sleeve technical shirt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training due to IT band issues.

Next year, I will run this (barring injuries) in the low 37:xx range.

Event comments:

Good race and nice long sleeve technical T-Shirt.

Last updated: 2010-01-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:55 | 06.2 miles | 06m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/36
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Good
1 05m 48s 2 06m 27s 3 06m 32s 4 06m 37s 5 07m 01s 6 06m 30s 7 01m 07s
Course: Course is two loops of rollers. I'd say it's a 5/10 on the difficulty scale. http://www.atlantatrackclub.org/Assets/Atlanta+Track+Club+Digital+Assets/Resolution+Run+Course+Map.pdf
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes