General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noisy Fluid Trainer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-05 4:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Newark, Delaware
Subject: Noisy Fluid Trainer?

I was wondering if anyone has experience dealing with noisy fluid trainers?  I have a Cycleops Fluid Trainer, which is essentially brand new.  I've had it for three years, but in November had to get it replaced, under warranty, because the resistance was totally dead and it was really noisy (my LBS shipped the trainer back to Cyclops and they replaced the resistance unit).  It worked fine until I transported it to my parents for the holidays, and now it is so loud I can't watch TV with it, which is how it was before I had it replaced. 

The resistance is working fine - it's just the noise issue.  Is this an issue of simply replacing the fluid? I'm going to bring it back to the bike shop, again - they are not going to believe it.  I'm sick of dealing with this and wondering if I need to just throw in the towel and get a new trainer.  I know I'm probably doing something when I transport it, but I can't figure it out.  I don't see any fluid leaking.

Thanks for any input on how to fix this issue!

2010-01-05 10:56 PM
in reply to: #2594269

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
Subject: RE: Noisy Fluid Trainer?
I would recommend continuing to work with ClycleOps.  There tech come to local stores here a lot and they take great pride in the fact that the trainers are 100% made in their WI shop.  I would take a video of when it's getting really noisy and put it on ytube and share it with company techcs to have quick troubleshooting.
2010-01-06 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Newark, Delaware

Thanks for the feedback.  I took it to the bike shop and he could immediately tell what the problem was - the bearings were messed up on either side of the wheel.  They called Saris, who couldn't believe it and said they would send out a new unit ASAP (of course, they're doing inventory until Thursday, so ASAP after that!).  It really wasn't my imagination though, and I didn't do anything to it, which was good to know.

This probably happens to one in a thousand customers, and I was lucky #1,000.

2010-01-07 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2598995

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
I'm having the same problem with my Cycle ops fluid 2. Thanks for the post and the results. I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with mine also. It's going back to the LBS tomorrow.
2010-01-08 2:06 AM

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
I have a fluid 2 my first trainer.  I amusing it on a wooden second story floor without a mat and although I find it ok there is some noise ie if I have a podcast on laptop Im better wearing earphones to listen properly.....music is ok as you still pick up the beat.  Gonna try it with speakers att'd to laptop and see if that helps.....but what is too noisy I have access to eqpt which can measure noise does anyone know recc figures?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noisy Fluid Trainer? Rss Feed