General Discussion Race Reports! » Water Corporation Open Water Swim Round 4 (Leighto Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Water Corporation Open Water Swim Round 4 (Leighto - SwimOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Perth, Western Australia
Australia
Swimming Western Australia
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 39m
Overall Rank = 108/111
Age Group = over 35
Age Group Rank = 20/20
Pre-race routine:

Slept very poorly the night before the race as I was extremely nervous; this was my first ever OWS race and, as you can see from my results, I'm not a swimmer. I didn't have to register until the very civilised 8am and we're only a 15 minute drive away so I had time to digest a decent breakfast before we left. Registered and played in the waves with my five year old until race briefing.
Event warmup:

A good 10 minutes swimming around, making sure my goggles were water tight and that all the nerves were settled. Then they announced that, due to the large number of late registrations, the briefing and race started would be delayed by about 30 minutes. Played some more in the waves and swam about a bit, mainly to cool off as it was a really hot day. Drank lots.
Swim
  • 39m
  • 1250 meters
  • 03m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was so pleased that it was calm as my last OWS I had been really sea-sick. I had a lovely swim, no problem with other people as I was all on my lonesome at the back so could get into a nice rhythm and enjoy it. I got passed by the folk doing the 2nd lap of the 5km race but it was all very well behaved. The water smelt of oil from the jet skis but just in parts and I only got stung once by a jellyfish. I am thrilled that I managed to swim freestyle the whole way; I was worried I might have to resort to a bit of breast stroke. A few years ago, I couldn't even put my face in the water in a pool and I only recently kicked my ocean demons in to touch. My fear of swimming in the ocean and my worry that I wouldn't have that brief pause at the end of a lap has prevented me from doing anything but the short women's only events in the pool or the river. Now I know I can do the distance and I can concentrate on getting faster.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, apply more sunblock so that my race number isn't branded on my arms for several days.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatting to people I knew after the race and waiting to come down from the incredible high I was on and cheering on the 2.5 and 5km racers as they came out the water. Lots of water and some fruit. More playing in the waves, my five year old had made a friend with the son of one of the other competitors and didn't want to leave. Second breakfast at the sausage sizzle run by the local surf club.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience and natural ability.

Event comments:

I'm going to do the next race in the series, as an ex-pat Scot now living in Australia, swimming in the beautiful ocean around where I live is really a childhood dream, born in chilly Highland lochs, come true. I was always scared because the ocean seemed so big and I was so small. The ocean doesn't seem so big after today.

Last updated: 2009-12-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:00 | 1250 meters | 03m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/20
Overall: 108/111
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: deep water start, then a rectangular course around massive bouys, so sighting was really easy.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-01-06 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: Water Corporation Open Water Swim Round 4 (Leighto

2010-01-06 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2596974

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Water Corporation Open Water Swim Round 4 (Leighto
Daisy,
Awesome job!!!! You got guts swimming in the ocean and the fact your were stung and kept going....well you ROCK!!!!
David
2010-01-08 4:12 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Great race!!! Well done on conquering your ocean demons!

2010-01-08 9:04 AM

User image

Montana

Great job Daisy! Way to overcome your fears and live up to your childhood dreams!

2010-01-08 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Great job Daisy!!!
2010-01-13 1:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Hey Daisy
Sorry I missed your report earlier - great way to conquer your fears, you swam awesome!  So proud of you!!!

Wish I'd known about this and I might have popped down.  Swimming in the ocean and river is so much nicer here than the UK isn't it....   Apart from the jellies!

Nigel

2010-01-13 5:29 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Yep, swimming in Scotland is more of a survival sport, I can't believe that we use to splash about in the freezing cold North Sea. The next round is at Sorrento on the 23rd, registrations don't close until the 19th. Go on, you know you want to............
2010-01-13 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth
Fantastic effort - onwards and upwards from here!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Water Corporation Open Water Swim Round 4 (Leighto Rss Feed