General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone in Louisville CO? Question for you Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-06 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Springdale AR
Subject: Anyone in Louisville CO? Question for you
I am traveling this weekend to Louisville CO for business. I was checking out some running routes on USATF website but really don't know if these running routes are snowed under.

So, should I pack outdoor running gear or stick to the treadmill?

Thanks

2010-01-06 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2597202

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Anyone in Louisville CO? Question for you

don't live in Louisville but work close to the area (sort of).  anyway, it's been mostly cold around the Denver/Boulder area so the little bit of snow we received around Christmas is still somewhat hanging around.  But it has been fine to run outside...just watch for a few icy patches.  Might be a little snow today and tomorrow but nothing significant.  dress warm and you will be ok to running outside.

2010-01-06 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Agreed, I work in Broomfield (basically next door to Louisville).  Just a little bit of lingering snow, but I've been running outside without a problem the past week.

The weekend is looking decent for you, so you shouldn't have any problems getting out there for a run. 
My info is saying:

SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT
MOSTLY CLEAR. HIGHS 35 TO 45. LOWS
14 TO 24.

SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT
PARTLY CLOUDY. A 10 PERCENT CHANCE OF
SNOW OVERNIGHT. HIGHS 43 TO 49. LOWS 18 TO 24.

Unfortunately it's going to be colder for the next two days so the remaining snow we have laying around (plus the 1-2 inches we may get today) will still be lingering around. 

There's also two great tri shops you might want to stop by in the area.  Colorado Multisports in Boulder and Adrenaline Tri-Sport in Niwot

Here's some good maps for you to take a look at.  They are for biking, but we have tons of rec paths that these maps outline for you that are both bike and pedestrian friendly.  http://www.bikedenver.org/maps/  (one of them is a link to an overlay for google earth if you use that.. makes for an awesome map to scout stuff out)

Also, if you're interested in driving to Denver, there's a running group that meets every Saturday morning for a run followed by breakfast.  You can find them on meetup.com they are called the Denver Road Runners on there.

2010-01-06 11:12 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
That's my 'hood.  I live in neighboring Lafayette but run frequently in Louisville.  Everyone else is right on with conditions.  Normally I'd point you toward my running group on Saturday which bases out of Louisville but they're running in a 5k race on Saturday with the Lafayette Oatmeal Festival (I'll be skiing so I won't be there).  I just heard that Davidson Mesa is in good shape so you might look that one up on Mapmyrun.com.  The only reason I'm on a treadmill this week is because of the new snow dusting over the icy spots and the fact that I run at night during the week.  If I could run in the daylight I'd be outdoors for sure.  If you want to check out another LRS I highly recommend Solepepper in Louisville. 

Enjoy your trip here.  Let us know if you need any other info (restaurants etc). 
2010-01-06 4:59 PM

Veteran

I'm not in Louisville, but I am in the Denver area and just to let you know, it's snowing quite hard now.  Yesterday I would have said you'd be fine outdoors....now it depends how much we get with this storm.  Be prepared to bundle up!

2010-01-06 5:29 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI
CoSkiGirl, you run with the Solepepper group now? I ran with them all the time before I moved.

There are a lot of good routes that start from the Solepepper store. If you leave the parking lot and head down Cherry (cross McCaslin), you pick up a paved path that runs behind some apartment buildings. Follow that south and you will hit the Coal creek trail, which goes for quite a ways. Another good route is to cross the highway (on McCaslin) and follow Coal Creek Dr. It turns into a gravel road that heads up on top of the Mesa. Take the big hill and it will spit you out by some more nice trails or to a road that will take you back home.

If you go to the park in Louisville (forget the real name, but it's at the corner of 96th and Bella Vista), you can pick up the Dry Creek trail and follow it quite a ways too. There is also a fantastic little coffee shop just down main street called Cafe de Paris.

If you want to head into Boulder, I can HIGHLY recommend the Bobolink trail and S Teller Farm trail.

Man I miss running out there.

2010-01-06 9:13 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Matt, I started with them in September and am on hiatus as I coach ski racing for the winter.  I miss them all dearly, especially Erin. 
2010-01-07 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2599338

User image

Veteran
Springdale AR
Thanks so much for the outside running weather update. I don't mind running in the cold and I look forward to running in CO. I will be checking out some of the local LBS to see if I can bring home a souvenir. After all I have to make the trip worth while, right!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone in Louisville CO? Question for you Rss Feed