2010-01-07 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2600083

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: "New" TSA screening
lisac957 - 2010-01-07 9:51 AM

KSH - 2010-01-06 8:23 PM
Gaarryy - 2010-01-06 12:07 PM here is a link to what an image looks like with the back scatter machine.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Backscatter_x-ray_image_woman.jpg

While I would say it's safe for work, I also work in the medical field so my perception on that might be off.  But I thought it was better to post a link than the actual photo here. 

Working with radiation and physics stuff most of the article I read are on the dose's a person receives and what type of training the people running the machine should have for their own safety,, but in none of the machines out there are you "nude"

eta spell check
DUDE that's a total "nude" type of picture of someone. Totally NOT cool. Not cool at all. I would not be comfortable with that. Really let's think about this... who is back there monitoring this stuff and reviewing it? $12 an hour employees... IF the make THAT much. What keeps them from taking pictures of what is on the screen with their phones?

Someone else posted the more accurate version (with the privacy filters) of what the TSA employees would see in a link - this is directly from the TSA web site:

There is no way anyone would be able to identify who this person was.
Are we really concerned about images like this?

THAT chalk image I am not concerned with.

To which I have to ask... what's the point? To see a lump? And that lump might be explosives?

But many Americans will be. There are tons of people out there who won't even undress in front of their spouses.

2010-01-07 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2600186

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
KSH - 2010-01-07 10:21 AM
lisac957 - 2010-01-07 9:51 AM
Gaarryy - 2010-01-06 12:07 PM here is a link to what an image looks like with the back scatter machine.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Backscatter_x-ray_image_woman.jpg

While I would say it's safe for work, I also work in the medical field so my perception on that might be off.  But I thought it was better to post a link than the actual photo here. 

Working with radiation and physics stuff most of the article I read are on the dose's a person receives and what type of training the people running the machine should have for their own safety,, but in none of the machines out there are you "nude"

eta spell check
DUDE that's a total "nude" type of picture of someone. Totally NOT cool. Not cool at all. I would not be comfortable with that. Really let's think about this... who is back there monitoring this stuff and reviewing it? $12 an hour employees... IF the make THAT much. What keeps them from taking pictures of what is on the screen with their phones?

Someone else posted the more accurate version (with the privacy filters) of what the TSA employees would see in a link - this is directly from the TSA web site:

THAT chalk image I am not concerned with. To which I have to ask... what's the point? To see a lump? And that lump might be explosives? But many Americans will be. There are tons of people out there who won't even undress in front of their spouses.

Then those people can drive.

I don't care what you Xray me with. Look at my chalk outline or my Xray or whatever you want. I'd prefer not to be felt up, but if that becomes necessary, then, well, OK. I don't care. Ask me 1000 questions. That's fine too.

I think a lump of explosives in someone's rectum would show up rather readily on one of those scans.
2010-01-07 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2597846

User image

Champion
For those opposed to scans and other "invasive" measures, what would you propose TSA do to ensure your safety on flights?
2010-01-07 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2600186

User image

Extreme Veteran
KSH - 2010-01-07 11:21 AM  THAT chalk image I am not concerned with. To which I have to ask... what's the point? To see a lump? And that lump might be explosives? But many Americans will be. There are tons of people out there who won't even undress in front of their spouses.

Then they'll need to deal with that insecurity if they want to fly.

Passengers' safety shouldn't need to be compromised because somebody else has a self-esteem issue.
2010-01-07 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2600357

User image

Queen BTich
WelshinPhilly -

Passengers' safety shouldn't need to be compromised because somebody else has a self-esteem issue.

Exactly. If people have issues with the screening, should we put them on seperate planes with other unscreened people?

I'd gladly go through whatever screening to HELP reduce my risk of being unsafe.
2010-01-07 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2600368

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Comet - 2010-01-07 11:17 AM
WelshinPhilly -

Exactly. If people have issues with the screening, should we put them on seperate planes with other unscreened people?

I'd gladly go through whatever screening to HELP reduce my risk of being unsafe.

Brilliant idea, Haley. People that don't want to be screened can all fly together.

The rest of us can be xrayed and felt up and... SAFE.

2010-01-07 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2600507

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Whizzzzz - 2010-01-07 12:57 PM

Comet - 2010-01-07 11:17 AM
WelshinPhilly -

Brilliant idea, Haley. People that don't want to be screened can all fly together.

The rest of us can be xrayed and felt up and... SAFE.

Bad idea. They'd have to take a collection for a replacement plane and leave it on the counter before boarding.
2010-01-07 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
It's with issues like this that I have two overwhelming thoughts.

1. Americans are so concerned about their freedom to do whatever they want that they'll compromise their safety, and I find that terrifying. If a plane gets blown up because someone shy didn't want to have their rear end outlined on a monitor, that would be tragic. The same people who buy those stupid tabloids and magazines showing celebrities taking their kids to the park or grocery shopping are screaming about their own privacy. Granted, those celebrities aren't naked (well, most of the time) but sometimes I think our concept of freedom goes a little too askew. It's what makes the US so great and so frustrating at the same time.

2. The media needs to chill the f- out and stop blowing things out of proportion. I know it'll never happen, but still...the media is making the full-body scanner look like the be-all and end-all of anti-terrorism. I think we've developed such tunnel vision with stuff like this that we've stopped considering all of the options. What if there's a better way? There could be, but as long as CNN is fixated on the stupid scanner, we'll never get to explore that method. We'll start shouting to our politicians that we need the scanner, or we refuse to accept the scanner, and decisions will be made based on "what the people want." What if the people aren't informed enough to know what the scan looks like, or what it can even detect?

A year ago everyone was shouting about how we needed to stop torturing detainees. Now Americans want the underwear bomber guy waterboarded. I wonder if there are terrorists in a cave somewhere laughing at us. They know there'll always be a way to get to us because we'll never give up our privacy. It makes me sad.
2010-01-07 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2600568

User image

Pro
Texas
GulfCoastSwimmer - 2010-01-07 12:14 PM

1. Americans are so concerned about their freedom to do whatever they want that they'll compromise their safety, and I find that terrifying. If a plane gets blown up because someone shy didn't want to have their rear end outlined on a monitor, that would be tragic. The same people who buy those stupid tabloids and magazines showing celebrities taking their kids to the park or grocery shopping are screaming about their own privacy. Granted, those celebrities aren't naked (well, most of the time) but sometimes I think our concept of freedom goes a little too askew. It's what makes the US so great and so frustrating at the same time.

This would be a more valid argument if there wasn't a viable alternative shown earlier in this thread(namely El-Al's methods) that involves no invasive technology & gets just as good results. That's why this new tech is unnecessary.
2010-01-07 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2600626

User image

Expert
JBrashear - 2010-01-07 12:35 PM

GulfCoastSwimmer - 2010-01-07 12:14 PM

This would be a more valid argument if there wasn't a viable alternative shown earlier in this thread(namely El-Al's methods) that involves no invasive technology & gets just as good results. That's why this new tech is unnecessary.

I know...see my comment #2.
2010-01-07 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
GulfCoastSwimmer - 2010-01-07 12:14 PM It's with issues like this that I have two overwhelming thoughts. 1. Americans are so concerned about their freedom to do whatever they want that they'll compromise their safety, and I find that terrifying. If a plane gets blown up because someone shy didn't want to have their rear end outlined on a monitor, that would be tragic. The same people who buy those stupid tabloids and magazines showing celebrities taking their kids to the park or grocery shopping are screaming about their own privacy. Granted, those celebrities aren't naked (well, most of the time) but sometimes I think our concept of freedom goes a little too askew. It's what makes the US so great and so frustrating at the same time.

2. The media needs to chill the f- out and stop blowing things out of proportion. I know it'll never happen, but still...the media is making the full-body scanner look like the be-all and end-all of anti-terrorism. I think we've developed such tunnel vision with stuff like this that we've stopped considering all of the options. What if there's a better way? There could be, but as long as CNN is fixated on the stupid scanner, we'll never get to explore that method. We'll start shouting to our politicians that we need the scanner, or we refuse to accept the scanner, and decisions will be made based on "what the people want." What if the people aren't informed enough to know what the scan looks like, or what it can even detect?

A year ago everyone was shouting about how we needed to stop torturing detainees. Now Americans want the underwear bomber guy waterboarded. I wonder if there are terrorists in a cave somewhere laughing at us. They know there'll always be a way to get to us because we'll never give up our privacy. It makes me sad.

Very well stated. And I agree. I don't care what methods are used to ensure my safety on an airplane. El-Al methods, body scanning methods, whatever. I'll cooperate. Or I'll drive.

2010-01-07 12:59 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "-Benjamin Franklin

There are limits. I think I agree profiling exceeds the limits. I don't feel the scanners do. Complicated question, but the above quote, to me rings true with the thought that governmental agencies don't always have the right and responsibility to wholesale dictate what we can and can't do.
2010-01-07 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2600083

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

lisac957 - 2010-01-07 8:51 AM

eta spell check

I'm sorry, that is NOT the image TSA sees. 

That is more like the actual images.  However, some TSA agents have offered that the images are actually more clear than those above.

Yes, there is the issue of privacy and modesty...but these scanners still WOULD NOT have caught the explosives in the underwear.  It also can be foiled by leather- so just by leather undies and pack em up.  It also can't see between skin and into body cavities, so you can hide anything in a fat roll, or between/under breasts...it won't get noticed.  So what good is it doing? 

2010-01-07 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2600785

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
kmanus - 2010-01-07 1:28 PM

eta spell check

That is more like the actual images.  However, some TSA agents have offered that the images are actually more clear than those above.

Yes, there is the issue of privacy and modesty...but these scanners still WOULD NOT have caught the explosives in the underwear.  It also can be foiled by leather- so just by leather undies and pack em up.  It also can't see between skin and into body cavities, so you can hide anything in a fat roll, or between/under breasts...it won't get noticed.  So what good is it doing? 

Two completely different technologies. It depends on which ones the airports use.
Millimeter is the more "high-def" image, while Backscatter is the more "chalk outline" image.
http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2008/05/which-is-it-millimeter-wave-or.html

From TSA web site:

Currently, there are 40 millimeter wave imaging technology units in use at 19 airports. Six machines are used as primary screening at six airports and 34 machines are used for secondary, or random screening, as an alternative to a pat down at 13 airports.

TSA has tested both millimeter wave and backscatter imaging and announced that it plans to purchase an additional 150 backscatter units.

Use of advanced imaging technology is optional to all passengers.

2010-01-07 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2600856

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

But even still, the image you showed isn't the backscatter from the TSA page.  This is:

http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2009/08/imaging-technolgy-bigger-picture.html

Edited by kmanus 2010-01-07 3:09 PM
2010-01-07 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2601084

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
kmanus - 2010-01-07 3:07 PM

But even still, the image you showed isn't the backscatter from the TSA page.  This is:

Actually it is from the TSA web site:

The link appears on Page 1 of this thread, that's where I originally found it.
Apparently they have updated the images.
Thanks for pointing that out.

2010-01-07 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
GulfCoastSwimmer - 2010-01-07 12:14 PM  If a plane gets blown up because someone shy didn't want to have their rear end outlined on a monitor, that would be tragic. The same people who buy those stupid tabloids and magazines showing celebrities taking their kids to the park or grocery shopping are screaming about their own privacy.

(applauding)
2010-01-07 3:22 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

All I know is that I got patted down last week. They searched my Chrome messenger bag, and did not find the "secret stash pocket". WTG TSA!

2010-01-07 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2601084

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

That still doesn't bother me. Everyone is being scanned. If you've seen one scan you've seen them all. There's nothing erotic or even remotely sexual about that scan. It's not even that revealing. It looks like the outline James Cameron used to make the aliens on Pandora. And if it can keep me safer than I am now... that's OK with me.

If I find it offensive or restrictive or invasive, I'll drive to my destination.

It's not like the government is mandating we all have body scans as a condition of our citizenship. Flying is an option for travel, not always a requirement.

Perhaps these scans and their use will bring back the good old fashioned road trip... and create a bigger demand for Titanic-like Transatlantic cruises. Although I'd imagine there would be some sort of safety screen for those liners as well.
2010-01-07 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2601138

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2010-01-07 4:22 PM

All I know is that I got patted down last week. They searched my Chrome messenger bag, and did not find the "secret stash pocket". WTG TSA!

you joke, but if the detroit bomber had been patted down, they wouldn't have found his explosives.  no touching of the no-no zones.  personally i prefer the pat-down because it's in wide view of everyone, plenty of witnesses.

and cause i'm a perv.
2010-01-07 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2598688

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
NavyTRIChief - 2010-01-06 2:00 PM Ironically, a current tactic of insurgents is to use women (do to Muslim cultural thoughts on touching women), and mentally handicapped people (esp. women) to carry IED's.  This is not a new thing.  BTW, if you think children carrying an IED is far fetched, ask a Vietnam vet about it.

I teach Anti Terrorism and will tell you the same thing I tell my students.... Terrorists are not stupid.  They adapt to new ideas, are very creative and are only limited to what can be thought up.  We cannot, ever, stop terrorism.  All we can do is implement measures to try to mitigate not only the events that may happen but also the consequences when they occur.

This is huge.

You need to evaluate and adapt, change up, randomize, evaluate, adapt, etc.

Once you create any system, someone will work to overcome it.
The more static the system, the easier it is to exploit.

2010-01-07 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2598058

User image

Houston
Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-01-06 12:31 PM

I don't think it's an invasion of privacy considering the potential devastation an airliner can do... obviously.  But I do question why it would be considered necessary for everyone and how you even attempt to make it cost effective to scan everybody.

Some people here know that I used to live in Israel, so I sort of grew up flying back and forth on El AL a couple of times.  So my idea of "security" and "acceptable time in an airport" may be drastically different than other people here.  But from that experience I do take away one big issue:

Why does the US and other countries insist on focusing on the bags and materials?  Close inspection of luggage and your carry-ons, but what plans, builds and executes an airline hijack or bombing?  A piece of luggage?  No.  It's a person or people.  So why not focus on the people?  Here we go again, "the Israeli method".  Their security is drastically different in three main ways:

1.  It's multi-staged.  From the moment you get out of your car, bus, taxi - before you walk in the door to the airport, someone is asking you a couple of questions.  Then more questions at the check-in counter.  Another round at the security check-point, more in the waiting area and even more before you get on the plane.  The TSA puts all of their eggs into one basket in one place.  Just a handful of high-school drop-outs in one spot to get past.

2.  While they do search the luggage and you do go through a metal detector, it's your answers to the questions they ask that are most important.  And the questions mean nothing.  It's all in reading your answer.  "Do you have a pet?  What kind?  What's his name?"  You try to fabricate an answer, they can tell.  if you're not truthful about something innocent, then what about other things.  Who cares about grandma with nail clippers - they're looking for liars.  What this leads to is...

3.  The ugly "p" word... PROFILING.  A 4-letter word in the US, perfectly acceptable in Israel.  If security doesn't feel you're honest or maybe hiding something, you get escalated to higher levels of screening.  Maybe a 5-minute interview in a small private room.  Maybe only then, a full-body scan.  Whereas in the US, the TSA might have every passenger go through a full-body scanner, the Israelis might only have 5% of people go through one.  Why?  Because those are the only people that warrant a privacy-invasive scan.

And understand that Palestinians, Muslims, Arabs, etc. have been flying through Ben Gurion and other Israeli airports for years.  They're treated just like everyone else.  No one is profiled by how they look or what religion they are.  They're profiled by the level of suspicion they give off.  I was once detained for an hour in private interagation because, well... I was already drunk before my friends and I even got to the airport.  My answers weren't coming quite so quick and that did it for me.  That's why you leave about a 2-3 hour buffer when flying El Al.  You never know.

The "crocth bomber" would never even had made it to the gate at Ben Gurion.  A Yemeni, on the watch list, with a one-way ticket paid in cash...  Hello!  Instant profilied!  Never mind the fact that his father reported in Nigeria that he had joined Al Qaeda.

The proof is in the number of incidents on El Al planes over the years.

I just came across an article comparing the relative safety and costs of Israel and the TSA. Some interesting highlights if we were to create an identical security system as the Israelis:

Say each passenger flying through a U.S. airport received on average 10 minutes of questioning from one guard. That would work out to 7.35 billion minutes, or 123 million hours, of work annually. We'd need 3 million full-time guards to perform it. That's 200,000 more people than the total number of active and reserve military personnel, and twice the number of U.S. Wal-Mart employees. It would cost somewhere north of $150 billion a year. Sheesh.

Working the math out another way, let's say that the U.S. decided to spend as much per passenger as Israel does, according to the Bloomberg analysis. We'd then pour around $62.2 billion a year into airport security -- more than 10 times what we currently spend on airport security, and about as much as we spent fighting the war in Afghanistan last year.

Comparing El Al with its 1.3 million passengers and TSA which handles over 700 million passengers unfortunately isn't a reasonable comparison.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/01/07/would_you_pay_25_for...
2010-01-07 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2601125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

lisac957 - 2010-01-07 2:18 PM

Actually it is from the TSA web site:

The link appears on Page 1 of this thread, that's where I originally found it.
Apparently they have updated the images.
Thanks for pointing that out.

No problem,  I should really stay out of these discussions anyway.  I tolerate TSA for its purpose of being able to fly, I just can't tolerate how some of these "rules" make us safer in any means.

This latest batch of rules (no IFE, must stay in your seat for the last hour, etc - I fly mostly intl) has almost compelled me to not want to fly anymore.  Which truly sucks as I love to travel and I have a lot interest in other countries.

2010-01-07 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2598201

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"

I ordered a pair of these when I was 9 years old.....still waiting for delivery.  

Pector55 - 2010-01-06 11:22 AM Fwap Fwap fwap

2010-01-07 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2600785

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
kmanus - 2010-01-07 1:28 PM

eta spell check

See, that's my question... WHAT are these scanning devices going to find anyways?

I guess if someone has bombs strapped to them... they would be caught.

With that said, I see less drugs coming into the country.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "New" TSA screening Rss Feed  

of 4