Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-01-30 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2602020

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: Why do you Tri?
Because I'm done having babies Smile  I am one of those wacky women that loves being pregnant, labor and birth.  I enjoy the preparation, eating the right foods, exercising, planning and preparing for the birth and then labor is both exhausting and exilorating and SUCH an amazing accomplishment and everyone tells you how amazing and awesome you are and you are so proud of what your body has just done.

Triathlons don't even come close but I can do 5+ of those a year and although it is an expensive sport, not nearly as expensive as babies.
I have 5 kids, so it's tri's for me.

2010-02-02 12:16 PM

User image

Regular
I am brand new...so I haven't even "tried" yet.  I have definitely found an awaking within since I have begun training and the competitiveness I felt 23 years ago in high school has returned.  I turned 40 this year.....and I am beginning to feel younger than I have in years, all because I have found something new in the tri that is giving me a drive to do well at something. 
2010-02-04 5:22 PM

User image

New user
Irvine
It is an end to a means.  I have tried to lose weight before and have done a great job but then I lose interest and back it comes.  In August, I started riding my bike again for the 2009 Bike MS Bay to Bay Tour.  By the time the ride was over in October, I had lost about 15 lbs.  But there was nothing else to train for.  So my wife I and signed up for the Tinsel Tri in December.  Now I had something to train for again.  Unfortunately, the weather was bad leading up to the event so we did not participate.
I am going to do a century ride (Tour de Palm Springs) next weekend and then the Race on the Base at the end of the month.  Those two events gave me something to train for again and I am already looking for my next event.
Oh yeah!!!  I turn 40 later this year.
2010-02-04 5:53 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Two things pushed me to this lifestyle.

My mom passed away from pancreatic cancer and when i came back home I started riding my mountain bike to release some anger/stress .
Shortly after, My doctor gave me the choice to either loose weight or get on Diabetes medication, I chose to loose weight.
Once I heard this from the doctor, I thought that Triathlon would be the most fun way to loose the weight.  It turns out, I was right.

Why do I keep Tri'ng
To fullfill my competitve nature and to keep my glucose levels down.

Good luck to you , it is painfull but it is worth it

It has been 3 years since I started,  November 2010 I will be completing IMAZ.
2010-02-04 7:56 PM

Veteran
back of the pack
Cuz I'm Awesome. I like Spandex shorts, and this is the best venue to show everyone else my superness!! But seriously, this is a huge challenge for me, I had bariatric surgery 18 months ago and had hit a plateau for the last year, this has kick started my loss again. I have a beautiful wife and two small boys I would like to be around when they have kids of their own.
2010-02-08 2:24 PM

New user
McKinney,TX
I love passing skinny people..........allot!!!! & the looks that I get when that happens is priceless Wink

2010-02-10 2:38 AM

User image

Expert
Tempe, Arizona (hot hot hot)

I did like passing skinny people too. Then I fell of the Tri waggon and back onto the fat guy, poor me waggon. Been over a year since I last "Tri"ed but I am back on the waggon. Fat is like an addiction to me and BT is like a AA for fat people support group.

Hello, My name is Cody, It has been two days since I ate fatty MC Fat food.

Now I "Tri" because my dad has diabetes and I don't want it. I like beer too much to have diabetes. So I realy "Tri" to drink. And I love to see the bar graph go up every week with the amount of training.

2010-02-10 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Welcome back, Cody!  You know you have a bunch of support here, as well as in the AZ Forum.  We'll help you and support you in any way we can!!

2010-02-16 10:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Bessemer, AL
I started out to lose weight.  Then I became entirely addicted.  I love triathlon, and as cheesy as it sounds, I can't imagine my life without it.  Smile
2010-03-26 10:37 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
1. Overachiever (have 2 doctorates).
2. Get bored easily
3. Boredom gets me in trouble
4. I have insomnia and exercise helps with sleep
5. Need a life away from wife & kids
6. Love being outside
7. Endorphin addict

There, I've overdone it.

Edited by armed1 2010-03-26 10:39 PM
2010-03-28 3:00 PM

User image

Regular
Clinton, TN
I hear, "wow daddy, you got a big belly."

That got me started running a couple years back. My 7 yr old daughter hugged me and said "Daddy you are fat". Went out the next day and bought a new pair of Asics. Started at 235 and am down to 205 and trying to be a 185-190.

2010-03-28 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Started off as a thing to aim for while I was losing weight... Wanted to do something totally out of my realm of what's possible and I like to be really challenged. It helps with motivation.

After a year or two... I now do it not only because does it help me maintain weight (and sometimes lose - I still have some to go) but also because I like training. I like being fit, and I deal with depression so the endorphin part helps balance me out so I feel normal.

2010-03-28 5:58 PM

User image

Expert

I started thinking about tris 10 years ago now.  I had watched Kona on TV in highschool and was amazed at the atheletes.  When I got to university, one of this girls in my residence was a triathlete.  When she found out I was a swimmer and occasional runner, she tried to convince me to do a triathlon.  I thought about it, but was really more interested in maybe doing the swim portion of a relay.  A group of friends decided that we would do a relay, and that got my regularly swimming, but my friends didn't do their training so it didn't happen.

That fall I was watching the summer olympics and saw Simon Whitfield (I'm canadian so this was big) win the first olympic gold medal in triathlon.  I decided then and there, that next summer I would do a triathlon all by myself.  And I did.  I have done a bunch of sprints, an olympic, a half IM and am training now for my first IM.

I stick with it for a few different reasons.

1)  I am also an overacheiver (I think we all must be )
2)  I like setting goals for myself and acheiving them.
3)  I like how running and biking make my legs look and how swimming maes my arms look.
4)  I lie training for them.  I have done a bunch of half marathons, and a marathon and i prefer mixing up the training.
5)  I like the monotony of swimming (I really do!) I love the speed of biking and I love the time to think with running.
6)  If I don't have a goal to work towards I will get lazy.

2010-03-28 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2753648

User image

Champion
PA
Speedy the Turtle - 2010-03-28 4:00 PM I hear, "wow daddy, you got a big belly." That got me started running a couple years back. My 7 yr old daughter hugged me and said "Daddy you are fat". Went out the next day and bought a new pair of Asics. Started at 235 and am down to 205 and trying to be a 185-190.

Man, I just can't picture it.  You look very lean in your avatar pic. 

I have always been more of a stocky build.  Even when I had a complete 6 pack and my jeans were a 31 waist, I was only down to 190 and I am only around 5'10 / 5'11. 
2010-03-28 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2753958

User image

Regular
There is NOTHING wrong with stocky build.  
2010-03-29 8:41 PM

User image

Under 40. Cholesterol was over 320. Dr. told me to take pills for the rest of my life. I told him "no". Tri'ing and diet fixed it. I plan on being around when my kids are old and doing this for a long, long time.

2010-03-31 2:13 AM

User image

well being in the Marines on a 5 year contract and having been injured for 2 years I was really starting to get out of shape so I decided I would get back into biking so I want and bought a mtn bike and i loved it i grew up racing bmx so i missed doing all the jumps and crazy stuff but after a while i decided to get a road bike and when i did the owner of the bike shop told me i should do a triathlon and showed me how to sign up so i did and im now hooked and i still ride my mtn bike every weekend lol but it is all about the challenge and having fun for me
2010-04-08 6:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Boredom and fitness.  I can't x-c ski all year long and we had a few really dry winters to boot, but I wanted to do something because I was so out of shape, but realized the only barrier was in my head, so I decided to try and tri.  I get so bored doing the same thing day after day that I run out of motivation to get out and end up onthe couch.  With tris you have the 3 sports to pick from any given day...or nothing and call it a rest day.

OH! And the tan lines!  Definitely the funky tan lines. Esp the ones you get in the beginning of the season when pale pink person (me) has black numbers written on and then goes out and gets tan (or burned) then washes off the marker to find '194' tanned into calf and upper arm.  That gets more looks at the pool than the marker itself!

Edited by MADFOXZZ75 2010-04-08 6:24 AM
2010-04-08 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
I do it to keep me motivated to go out for a run when I don't want to.  Running is good exercise if you only have a short period of time to work out

I like to bike.  I used to ride my bike all over in High School and college, but switched to MTB b/c I got sick of cars and was never a fan of group rides.  I rediscovered the joy and speed of road riding when I started tri training.  I still like to Mt bike, but I like the TT aspect of triathlons. 

And there's nothing wrong with having to go swiming 2 or 3 times a week in the summer.

I combine triathlons training with an ad slogan for the Wii "Do you remember when working out was called play?"
If you break down triathlons to the core: its running, biking and swimming - everything I enjoyed doing as a kid.

2010-04-08 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
I wanted to keep active and started playing men's league hockey.  After numerous fights and generally acting like an idiot I realized that showing up to work as a teacher with black eyes as a result of fist fights was not really funny at 27 years old like it was at 18.  So I looked for a sport where I could compete against myself and fell in love with triathlon.  The allure is that I don't really enjoy running so the opportunity to train in 3 disciplines keeps it fresh all the time. Plus, I love shopping and what better sport for buying stuff than tri
2010-04-28 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati

It is good for me. But I also like the challenge and the reward I get from self discipline.

And seriously, how cool is it to know that you have accomplished something that a lot of "In Shape" people would never even have the guts to attempt?

2010-04-28 10:17 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Always been a fairly big guy.  I have run off and on for the last decade - training for a goal race, racing, and then stop training.  A couple years ago I was training for a 1/2 marathon and tore my calf a week and a half before the race.  Training stopped.  Last year I decided to train for a tri because I am a relatively good swimmer and I thought it would less running.  Focused way too much on swimming and ended up with tennis elbow, but completed a sprint (bonked in the run because I did so little run training).  No more tris last year because of the tennis elbow.  That's my history.

I turn 40 next month.  In November, I decided I wanted to complete a HIM this year and drop weight from 276 to 230 by October.  So I have been training, rather voraciously, ever since.  My weight this morning was 243, so I hope to keep loosing below my original goal (updated goal is 230 by 6/15)!  I have completed a sprint and have signed up for a oly in May and another sprint in June. 

Why do I Tri?  To be in the best shape of my life now and get in better shape for a long future with my lovely family.  
2010-04-28 2:08 PM

User image

Central Illinois
I tri because I enjoy the physical and emotional challenge. I tri because I watched my mom learn how to inject herself with insulin.  I tri because in June 2008 I was 255 lbs. and on my way to my mom's fate.  I tri because I LOVE my husband and two kids. I tri because ALMOST every triathlete I've met has been a CLASS ACT!  I tri because I LOVE IT!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do you Tri? Rss Feed  

of 2