General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runnning and tight calves/other problems Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-09 1:13 PM

Houston, TX
Subject: Runnning and tight calves/other problems
I went running yesterday and my calves would not loosen up. I stretched beforehand and ended up stopping every 10 minutes to stretch them more, and still they never loosened up. Now after a miserable 1.5 hr run my calves are horribly sore. I even iced them for an hour when I got back home.

Anyone else have this problem and/or a solution to this problem.

Another problem I have is that I have really really really flat feet, normally I will get shin splints after a couple weeks of running, but I plan to ice hardcore after every run from now on in hopes of putting off the splints. My question is: has anyone gotten perscription insoles made for running and have they worked well?

Lastly, I also get knee pain a lot if I run longer distances. I am hoping that just running more will strengthen the joint and with some icing and carefulness I can prevent the pain from coming back. Anyone else have this type of problem and how did you solve it?

I haven't been running too much lately, and I plan on doing 3 days/week max with cycling and swimming on the others, so only 3 heavy impact days. I'm not a heavy guy, so I don't think that's an issue (6'0" 160-170). Anyways... let me know what ya'll think.

2005-06-09 1:34 PM
in reply to: #171913

Master
portland, or
Subject: RE: Runnning and tight calves/other problems
Start with your shoes. If you have "really really flat feet" you should probably be in a motion control shoe. An orthotic might be a good idea. You can go to a podiatrist (I think more and more chiropractors are offering custom orthotics as well), or you might try some of the off the shelf models that are out there. I suggest going to a reliable running shoe store (not a place with people pretending to be referees )

Icing your knees and shins after a run is a good idea, but no more then 10-15 minutes. You negate the benefit going over 20 minutes.

If you're just starting to run after a long break, then the calf tightness/soreness is understandable. It will get better, but in the meantime continue to stretch. Stretch lightly before running, and then again after your run.

scott
2005-06-09 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
I suggest you find yourself a podiatrist that either is a runner him/herself or works with athletes. You shouldn't be experiencing all this pain. I have very flat feet, overpronate, bunions, the works - horrible (and ugly) feet. I've had orthotics for years and one pair is just for running. It makes a HUGE difference. Your feet are the foundation of your body, and if the foundation is not straight or out of whack, the rest of the structure isn't going to work properly. The dr should be able to help you overcome your issues. re shinsplints - if your shoes are old, that is also a contributing factor (speaking from very recent experience).
2005-06-09 3:23 PM
in reply to: #171923

Houston, TX
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to call my parents today and get them to schedule an appt with a podiatrist for me. As for my shoes: they are relatively new newbalance 991's so they are good, and they fit me perfectly, but with feet so flat I am thinking orthotics is a good idea. Hopefully insurance will cover it, and right now i'm triple covered =).

I'll take your advice and continue stretching and reduce the icing time to 15-20 min. Hopefully I won't have that tightness again.

Any other advice? please post!
2005-06-09 4:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
First thought was how old are your shoes? And how many miles are on those shoes? Find a shoe guru in your area and make sure you have a shoe that fits your form not just a comfy shoe.

Stretch your calves multiple times a day and get a leg massage. If I don't stretch my calves after every workout they start getting tight and once they are tight it's time for a massage.
2005-06-09 8:12 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia

I have a similar problem.  It started shortly after I started training.  I hadn't ran in well over a year (if not longer) due to a broken leg (near my knee) and subsequent infection.  When I started training, I pulled out my shoes that were less than two years old and had less than 100 miles.  After my first couple runs, my calves were extremely tight and I couldn't get them to loosen up.  I bought new shoes from a good local running store in the hopes that the problem was my shoes.  Stretching really didn't help much and it eventually developed into shin splints.  Per the advice of my Team in Training coach, I stopped running for four weeks and either ran on the elliptical machine at the gym or in the pool with an aqua jogger. 

After about five weeks, I was signed up to run in a local 5K as part of a team from work.  I was running with a track coach for a while and he came up to me after the race.  He said that when I ran, I was running on my toes and that if I didn't change my gait, I would continually have problems with my calves and shin splints. 

I haven't quite figured out how to correct it, but I bought Chi Running which seems to be helping.

Good luck!!

2005-06-09 8:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

I have the same problem very flat feet.  Find a good podiatrist, I see a Physiotherapist who is also a podiatrist and mainly treats sports people.  therefore is very qualified to help people get back into running pain free.

I now have orthotics and two pairs of properly fitted shoes.  One for purely running and the others are cross trainers.  That made a bit difference as I needed a different type of support for different activities.

Icing, stretching and massage really help. Find a good sports masseur and that will make a whole lot of difference.

Lastly a physio should be able to help you with your running style and exercises to strengthen different muscles in your legs.  Hope that helps

2005-06-10 6:49 AM

User image

Regular
Northern NJ
I had a pretty annoying knee problem that was aggrivated by distance running a couple years ago and have just gotten back to running any significant distances (3-4 miles). Here's what I learned about my condition:

1. Tight IT band (runs down the outside of your thigh) was pulling at the insertion point just below my knee cap on the outside. Ouch.

2. Pulling resulted in some inflammed cartiledge in my knee joint. Ouch.

3. Tight hamstrings and weak quads made my kneecap (which is held in place by the quads) sort of shoot off to the side when my leg was straight or bent deep. (this surfaced about 1.5 years after the initial knee pain) Resulting in a rough back side to the kneecap that hurt the other parts of the joint as it moved around. Ouch.

Here's what I learned about fixing it and maintaining it in a state that I actually LIKE running now:

1. I have to stretch my IT band after every run and generally pay attention to how tight it feels and stretch then, too. Sometimes that means getting up from my desk at work to stretch it several times a day. Ahhhh.

2. I have to keep my quads strong by holding a sitting position against the wall (like I'm in a chair) for at least 30 seconds about 5 times in a row or by going to the gym and doing squats with weight. Ahhh.

3. I try to take 2 yoga classes a week and tell the teacher that I want to focus on legs (I tell her I've been cycling and running a lot) This really helps. Ahhh.

4. When I was initially diagnosed with the IT problem, I saw a massage therapist once a week for about 8 weeks. THIS REALLY HELPED! Ahhhh!

So, that's what I did. I don't know if you are having the same problem, but it might be worth going to see a doctor about. Describe the pain. MAKE SURE YOU GO TO A DOCTOR THAT IS FAMILIAR WITH ENDURANCE SPORTS!!! My first doctor was a "Sports Doctor" and "Osteopath" and he told me that I would never run again. I didn't take no as an answer and found a doctor that specialized in runners and he was much more reasonable for me! And now I run and look forward to it!

Hope that helps!
Allie
2005-06-10 7:11 AM

User image

Western North Carolina
I also have flat feet and as a result, I had a pretty nasty heel spur (plantar fasciitis), plus knee and shin splints... I haven't had a problem since I started ChiRunning techniques.
2005-06-10 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I also have flat feet and I always have custom made insoles in my shoes, including running shoes. They are made for me, based on my footprint. I just pull out any insoles from shoes before puting in my ortotics. (Before having them, while being sedentary, i had great problems with my calfs. They were totaly knotted.)

"Don't push forward with your toes. Calf muscle is very small muscle group, it is to much load for them. Let the quads (much biger muscles) do their work." (Danny Dreyer, ChiRunning)

Important warning: "Never stretch a muscle before it is thoroughly warm. "(Thomas Kurtz, Stretching Scientifically)

I wish you quick & total recovery!

2005-06-11 7:49 AM

User image

Western North Carolina
Important warning: "Never stretch a muscle before it is thoroughly warm. "(Thomas Kurtz, Stretching Scientifically)

Although you should loosen your muscles -- a big diffrence from stretching.

Start out slow (warm-up) and finish slow (cool down)... Then stretch!

I have also had GREAT success with yoga -- nothing like a good 20 minute yoga session on my fovorite spot. Using breath to deepen a stretch as opposed to other muscles makes so much sense... Also gives you time to give thanks for everything!!! A wonderful thing to do after a hard run.

Just to let you know how far I've come, doctors wanted to do surgery to remove the bone spur (I do have orthodics). I stopped running for 4 years! Before approaching everything differently. Try everything.

2005-06-11 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I always suggest try barefoot running at a local park. I am flat footed and I suffered from shin splints and tight calves. I use to do barefoot running sprints when I was a kid so last year I decided what the heck why not run a couple of miles barefoot. My calves were so loose, my Achilles Tendon felt so stretched it was incredible. Being flat footed won't play a role in running barefoot. You will actually strengthen your arch. I felt some pain in my feet the first time because I was now using those muscles correctly. My lower leg pain went away almost instantly. I still will run in shoes here and there but I try to do the majority of my runs barefoot in the grass. My legs are extremely strong, I have zero injuries or complaints. I am in better shape this year compared to last. If you want a site with some good exercises check out www.smiweb.org Look at they're injury prevention guide.

Mike
2005-06-11 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Make sure your running shoes are not too worn down. Depending on how much I'm running, I have to replace my every 1-3 months. I always know when it's time because I get shin-splints, and they go away the first run with my new shoes. Before shelling out alot of money for prescription insoles, go to one of those good running shoe stores people were mentioning and pick up a $30 pair that are designed for flat-footed people. They just may work for you.

Also, are you hydrated? You can have all kinds of muscle soreness, tightness, and cramps if you are not drinking enough water.

Lastly, I would strongly suggest going to a massage therapist who has a back ground in Trigger Point, or Reflexology. Have them focus on your legs, and feet, maybe even hips. (If they are well trained they will know how to follow the pain to other areas of your body that may be causing it). That will probably do you a world of good.

Hope it gets better soon!
2005-06-11 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I used to get shin splints so bad that I could hardly walk.  I also have flat feet.  (Flexible flat feet, which means that I have an arch unless I'm standing on them.)

I now weigh a LOT more than I did then, but I have no problems running (or walk/jogging) which is what I was doing before. 

Here's what worked for me:

(1) Good shoes.  Find a pair that works for you.  If you have flat feet, motion control shoes are the recommended ones.  Mine are Asics.  I went through about 3 different brands before I started wearing these exclusively.  Wear what feels the best.

(2) Stretching.  Both the calf and along the front of the shin (pointing then flexing foot, circling feet, drawing alphabet with big toe, all helpful.)

(3)  I changed my running stride.  I was an overstrider, throwing my leg out in front and then landing hard on the heel.  Also, too much pressure to the inside of the foot.  Here's the changes that I made that worked.  I make sure that my foot lands under my body.  I think about my feet pushing behind me.  When my leg comes up, I'm lifting my knee and then placing my foot directly underneath me (at least that is how I visualize it).  I really worked on doing a mid-foot strike, and placing the weight on the OUTSIDE of my foot.  (Most of the weight before was on the inside, due to the flat feet.)  I think all that did was distribute the weight and stress more evenly.  At first, this was very difficult and my feet got very tired and stiff.  I also had to think about it constantly.  Now, though, it's almost automatic and I can run pain free.

Basic advice?  Slow it down, try different stuff until you find something (or a bunch of somethings) that lets you run pain free and then practice, practice, practice until that form/technique becomes second nature.  Then start working on the speed.  We work on bike technique and swim technique, well you can also improve your run technique.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runnning and tight calves/other problems Rss Feed