General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Rehab Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-01-08 7:19 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: Knee Rehab Thread
Okay, so...it seems like there are a bunch of us who just had or will be having surgery  to fix knee issues. Why not find a spot where we can b1tch together?

So, let it flow, man. :p What did you have done (or what HAVE you had done, for those knee injury vets)? HOw's your rehab going, what tips and tricks have you learned, what do you wish you had known, etc.?

(I know there is a nice knee forum out there--and I'm a part of it--but it's a bit, mmmmmmmm, slow. AND, very few folks there are athletes.

SO...I thought maybe we could create a place where we could come together. It's not TAN, it's not an OOPS...but...

2010-01-08 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2604136

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Subject: RE: Knee Rehab Thread
Hello

I am 9 days post right knee scope.

Keep your knee/leg wrapped with ace wrap to reduce swelling.

Use your crutch for at least a week or more.  Then go to a cane.

I did not keep my leg wrapped and walked with real shoe too soon.  Knee/leg swelled up and at my 1 week follow-up I had my knee drained.  Feeling a lot better today.

Go slow and accept the help of your family.  They want to help you just like you would want to help them.

Send people here on BT inspires or messages even if you dont know them.  Its nice to see others thinking about us as we recover. I know I enjoy getting them from you guys/girls.

Go slow with your recovery so you dont have a set back.  

Thanks

Kevin 
2010-01-08 10:23 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
One more thing

When you first get home try sleeping in a recliner.

Kevin
2010-01-09 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2604375

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
b2673ad - 2010-01-08 10:22 PM Hello

I am 9 days post right knee scope.

Keep your knee/leg wrapped with ace wrap to reduce swelling.

Use your crutch for at least a week or more.  Then go to a cane.

I did not keep my leg wrapped and walked with real shoe too soon.  Knee/leg swelled up and at my 1 week follow-up I had my knee drained.  Feeling a lot better today.

Go slow and accept the help of your family.  They want to help you just like you would want to help them.

Send people here on BT inspires or messages even if you dont know them.  Its nice to see others thinking about us as we recover. I know I enjoy getting them from you guys/girls.

Go slow with your recovery so you dont have a set back.  

Thanks

Kevin 

Good tips! What did you have done in your scope?
2010-01-09 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I had a section of the meniscus torn floating in my knee.  When I hurt my knee in September the pain came all of sudden  on the backside of leg right behind my knee with additonal pain up inn the hamstring.  I could hardly walk the day of the injury.  The doctors thought I torn my  hamstring.  I tried rehab for about 2 1/2 weeks and got to the point where I could walk without pain but not run.

The MRI showed a tear in the meniscus. I got one cortizone shot and that helped to point where I could run again but I knew if I countinued running the torn section of the meniscus would move back into a painful position so I decide to get the scope.

During the scope the Dr also cleaned up the underside of my knee cap.

Kevin
2010-01-10 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Madison

I am a bit further out than you, I had a knee scope at the end of April to remove a torn meniscus.  I also have no ACL from a prior failed repair but chose to leave that alone.  My scope went really well and my recovery went smooth - I was walking without crutches a few days later.  I began running again about 5-6 weeks out. 

My advice would be to stick with your shoes!  After my surgery I worked up to a half marathon and had absolutely no knee pain.  I was having some issues with my calf and hamstring though and thought it might be the shoes.  I wore the new shoes twice and have been having issues with my knee ever since.  A return visit to the doctor revealed nothing, but he told me to rest it longer than I would think.  This was in October and I am back running more (in the old style of shoes), but having soreness and pain still from those other shoes!  Stick with what works!

2010-01-10 12:51 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

1991 - torn acl from ski accident and reconstruction using petella tendon.

2009 - June, I think.  chasing dog around and hurt knee.   doc messed around a while before ordering MRI - failed acl graft and some cartilage damamge (I think from messing around for weeks thinking it was no big deal - damn HMO.)

Aug 18- 2009 - ACL surgery UNDO.  Removed hardware and spackeled holes in bones

Dec 2009 - ACL REDO (double bundle from cadaver) and removal of 20% of interior meniscus.  That was a surprise to the doc so I guess I damaged it since ACL UNDO surgery.  

Rehabing is going OK.  I am up to actually peddeling an exercise bike and using the bad leg to go upstairs (with brace and crutch).  I am generally on 1 crutch with brace.  I go back to work (generally desk bound) tomorrow.

My advice - ice as often as you can stand it and then a little bit more.  They make great gagets for icing now.   Before the surgery, try and get all the info for everything set up before hand, as well as the delivery of all devices and braces, complete with any settings they may need.  Advil does more for me than percocet.  If you SO is really understanding, they will sleep elsewhere to make room for all the elevation/ice/constant moving machine thingy in the bed.  Sleep as much as possible.   Schedule your PT as far out as possible if you have scheduling issues (like a job) so you don't have to miss a session.  Do your PT homework.   And take longer off of work, if possible, than you will think you need.  Don't rush yourself to drive, work, cook, do chores.   Wear your brace.

My b1tching - I had post-op confusion re: devices, hence, the advice above. my doc does not communicate well enough.   I can't get my swelling down.  My brace slides down my leg and requires constant readjustments.   My brace poses wardrobe issues for return to work.   My brace squeazes where my leg is sore and I think keeps the swelling from going down.  I guess I don't like my brace.

2010-01-16 12:34 AM

ACL and miniscus repair Dec 22nd. Going pretty well. For some reason the ortho wants me on the crutches for 4 weeks. Reading everyone elses rehab makes me a little curious about this. I am supposed to get off the crutches on Monday. Very little pain issues. PT 3 days a week. I don't get to do weight bearing exercises yet. I have been swimming A LOT. which is a good thing. I can ride on the trainer (with no resistence by order of the PT). I'm just a bit eager to get back to running. I'm trying as hard as I can to take it slow. I don't want to have to do it all over again.
2010-01-16 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2616981

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
NWB for 4-8 weeks is standard with a repair. 4 is actually on the low end. Enjoy it :-)
2010-01-16 9:22 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I am 13 weeks post op from my last scope--total meniscectomy, debridment, chondroplasty. Next surgery date has been set, so I am in the "pre-hab" phase :-)

Surgery is Jan. 26... I'll be having another scope, and then a distal femoral osteotomy.

Details at http://mmrocker13.wordpress.com:-)
2010-01-17 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I think I have turned the corner on my knee leg rehab.  The quad tightening, quad leg lifts and the heel slides are helping. The swelling is down and the bruising is going away.  I was able to swim pretty good yesterday  (1050 meters) with no pain.  Plus today I raised the seat on my bike and was able to fully rotate my leg and use the trainer for 10 minutes.  So today I started my training for the 2010 season.

Lisa B motivated me to give the trainer another try.  I saw her training log with 1 hour on  the bike trainer.  Heck all of you motivate me to keep working.

Kevin

2010-01-18 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2618439

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
The day you can go all the way around in your pedal stroke is always a big one...it makes you feel ike you are finally doing something agian :-)

Congrats!
2010-01-18 10:23 AM

User image

Elite
Reno

that's great, Kevin!

2010-01-19 6:49 PM

User image

New user
I feel like a big pu** listening to you all's "stuff".  I suffer only from a partially (30%) torn patellar tendon and am told by the doc up to 12 weeks before I can get back at it!  I was given two choices.  Surgery and screw it to the knee cap, or a prp injection.  I of course chose the injection and had it in late December so now I wait.
2010-01-19 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2622858

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Hey! Everyone's situation is different. And holy balls, I do not ever, ever want to tear a tendon. I don't care if it's 30% or 100%. OW.
2010-01-19 8:49 PM

Tri-ing Mike:

How did you tear it?  Was it found on MRI or Ultrasound?

How are you feeling since the injection?

Aren't you doing any PT along with it?

2010-01-19 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2606020

User image

Elite
Utah
bootygirl - 2010-01-10 11:51 AM

1991 - torn acl from ski accident and reconstruction using petella tendon.

2009 - June, I think.  chasing dog around and hurt knee.   doc messed around a while before ordering MRI - failed acl graft and some cartilage damamge (I think from messing around for weeks thinking it was no big deal - damn HMO.)

Aug 18- 2009 - ACL surgery UNDO.  Removed hardware and spackeled holes in bones

Dec 2009 - ACL REDO (double bundle from cadaver) and removal of 20% of interior meniscus.  That was a surprise to the doc so I guess I damaged it since ACL UNDO surgery.  

Rehabing is going OK.  I am up to actually peddeling an exercise bike and using the bad leg to go upstairs (with brace and crutch).  I am generally on 1 crutch with brace.  I go back to work (generally desk bound) tomorrow.

My b1tching - I had post-op confusion re: devices, hence, the advice above. my doc does not communicate well enough.   I can't get my swelling down.  My brace slides down my leg and requires constant readjustments.   My brace poses wardrobe issues for return to work.   My brace squeazes where my leg is sore and I think keeps the swelling from going down.  I guess I don't like my brace.

HUH!!!  I'm jealous... it took me TWO to THREE months to get a full rotation on an exercise bike!!!  Okay, now I'm totally convinced that my phys ther people were idiots!!!  I'm still stiff getting on my bike int he morning and STILL having issues with the nerve in my calf (and it's been 7 months)

Have you gotten fitted for a "pro" athletic brace such as a DonJoy?  You'll likely want to get one to ski with.  If you get it within 6 wks of surgery, they will rebuild it after 4 months to accommodate muscle recovery.

Speaking of muscle recovery... my b*!@% is that as much as I've worked (ok, so maybe I've been a little lazy about it) my muscle is NOT recovering!!!  My left quad is still flabby and small

BTW... I have ACL replacement (graft from HamTendon) and repair of a bucket tear in the miniscus (it was torn laterally and about to push forward in the knee and lock it up)...

So here's to an injury free 2010!!!1
2010-01-20 10:22 AM

Yay, misery loves company I'm here for the most minor surgery with the most pain in the rehab. Microfracture.

It was done late July and I'm looking at March/April to get the clearance to run again. Contigent on my quad being stronger and guess what? I'm stuck. At first I was flying through PT and doing all of my exercises. Then when bent knee exercies were incorperated I started to struggle.

It is twofold. 1) Shooting pain when I squat or lunge or do leg presses (I am ashamed to admit this but I can't press more tha 15lbs one legged).

And 2) when exercising, my healthy leg takes over completely and I can't stop this from happening.

Even when I lunge, my healthy back leg is holding most of the weight (didn't know this was possible but it is). After spin class, my healthy leg is burning with effort even when I try and out my mind into pedaling mostly with my recovering knee.

Anyways, enough whining! If anyone has any insights into the above issues, I'd love to hear it. My PT is great but the same old "it'll come around eventually" is getting old. I like being proactive.

PS I had an ACL reconstrcution done years ago and recovery was never this fiddly

2010-01-20 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2623122

User image

Elite
Reno

geauxtri - 2010-01-19 9:10 PM

HUH!!!  I'm jealous... it took me TWO to THREE months to get a full rotation on an exercise bike!!!  Okay, now I'm totally convinced that my phys ther people were idiots!!!  I'm still stiff getting on my bike int he morning and STILL having issues with the nerve in my calf (and it's been 7 months)

My range of motion came back very quickly - the therapist was surprised.  Strengthwise - not a good.  not bad, just not ahead of the curve.  I can go UP stairs ok one leg and then the other, but not down.

I will talk to the doc about a different type of brace if I need one for much longer.   How long do people wear one for ACL's these days?

2010-01-20 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2623985

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
LaurenCO - 2010-01-20 10:22 AM Yay, misery loves company I'm here for the most minor surgery with the most pain in the rehab. Microfracture.

It was done late July and I'm looking at March/April to get the clearance to run again. Contigent on my quad being stronger and guess what? I'm stuck. At first I was flying through PT and doing all of my exercises. Then when bent knee exercies were incorperated I started to struggle.

It is twofold. 1) Shooting pain when I squat or lunge or do leg presses (I am ashamed to admit this but I can't press more tha 15lbs one legged).

And 2) when exercising, my healthy leg takes over completely and I can't stop this from happening.

Even when I lunge, my healthy back leg is holding most of the weight (didn't know this was possible but it is). After spin class, my healthy leg is burning with effort even when I try and out my mind into pedaling mostly with my recovering knee.

Anyways, enough whining! If anyone has any insights into the above issues, I'd love to hear it. My PT is great but the same old "it'll come around eventually" is getting old. I like being proactive.

PS I had an ACL reconstrcution done years ago and recovery was never this fiddly

mfx is NOT a minor procedure. You end up losing both quad strength and ROM b/c of the long NWB recovery. Plus, you have to baby it b/c of the fibrocartilage needing to set.

At six months, I'm not suprised you are still having pain--that's pretty normal. The strength will come back, but it's a long slow process. You def. have to train yourself to utilize that side though. Are you still in PT? Have your therapist set up a "lopsided" routine for you--and include a bunch of proprioception things in there. To be able to use the leg, you need to be able to trust it.

You have probably been favoring that leg for a long time--even w/out realizing it. Even when my "bad leg" feels pretty good, and when I focus on training it all by itself, I am still noticeably weaker on that side...I have been for most of my life. Trying to retrain that is going to take some time. Your body adapts a gait and usage pattern, and stuff starts to turn off when you aren't using it.

When you catch yourself favoring the bad leg or compensating for it...stop what you're doing and restart, concentrating on making it do things properly (assuming it doesn't hurt...and by hurt, I mean the damaged area hurts, NOT scar tissue.).

Speaking of scar tissue...you may get a lot of that, and, frankly, I find that that has always been one of my big limiters. Again, if you can get your PT to break it up, you will cry like a baby...but it will feel MUCH better later.

I've been there, I TOTALLY feel your pain :-)
2010-01-20 6:25 PM
in reply to: #2623066

User image

New user
I am not sure how I tore it, I did not feel it when it happened.  I think it was either through a really tough leg workout that I tried to do something different and somewhat of a challange, but should not have done and have not repeated, or through some high intensity intervals with running.  I have not done any PT and dont think I will, the Doc has not mentioned it anyway.  I see him again in a week to find out the progress of the prp.  So far it feels about the same maybe a small bit better.  It was found through an MRI.  I am anxious to get back to running though.  It is very hard to sit sideline. 

2010-01-21 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2623985

User image

Veteran
Waterford, MI.
LaurenCoI feel your pain.I had a Microfracture procedure done late november 2008. After 8 weeks NWB another 12 weeks of PT my knee was still very weak and painful during bent knee exercises. I was given the clearence to run after 8 months. Running suprisingly didn't hurt, but my right leg was still very weak compared to my left leg. I was able to train pain free, but if anything it felt like my leg was getting weaker. I did single leg presses, single leg drills on the trainer, lunges, anything I could think of to do pain free to strengthen my quad. By October 2009 my leg was still very weak and still painfull during bent leg activities like going down stairs, walking down hills, ect. My doctor had told me before I had the Microfracture that it may not work because I had kissing leasions on the back of the kneecap and in the femoral groove. He told me that if the Microfracture didn't work, I had a few more options. So when I saw him in october he told me about a very new procedure called De Novo natural tissue graft where they go in, clean up the leasions, & put in juvenile donor cartilige. Simmilar to a ACI procedure (Carticel) but using juvenile cartilege instead of your own.I Had the De Novo procedure on Dec. 8th 2009. Similar recovery to Microfracture, NWB 8 weeks. Right now I'm at 7 weeks post op and looking foreward to going Down to one crutch next week. The pain from the procedure has gone away, and I'm starting to notice the pain that I've had behind my knee cap for the last 3 years IS GONE!!!!I hope the best for you in your recovery. If you still are having pain ask your doctor about ACI(Carticel) or De Novo.Has anybody else had any experience with Carticel or De Novo??Thanks for letting me vent. Josh
2010-01-22 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2624936

User image

Elite
Utah
bootygirl - 2010-01-20 3:07 PM

geauxtri - 2010-01-19 9:10 PM

My range of motion came back very quickly - the therapist was surprised.  Strengthwise - not a good.  not bad, just not ahead of the curve.  I can go UP stairs ok one leg and then the other, but not down.

I will talk to the doc about a different type of brace if I need one for much longer.   How long do people wear one for ACL's these days?

Immediately after surgery I think it is three to four weeks (depending on the activity).
Long-term it's recommended when doing high-risk agility sports (ie skiing, soccer, basketball).  My doc even suggested I wear it for the first season or two of hiking and if I should start trail running.
I can certainly see where I will be wearing my brace for quite a few years skiing.
2010-01-24 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC

Hello

25 days post op.

My knee is still swollen but doing much better.

Last Sunday I raised the seat on my bike  mounted in the trainer and was able to slowly do 10 minutes of very slow spinning. I had to work to get my knee to make the first rotation.  Then 3 days of PT this past week with 3 swimming sessons.  Today I got on the trainer and went right to pedeling.  I started with the idea of trying to do 30 minutes, then decided to go for 45 min and I got off the trainer after 1 hour.  My wife was amazed at the change in one week.  I think I will be riding the trainer for another 3 to 4 weeks before I try going on the road.

Good progress in the past week and starting to feel normal again.

I see the Dr. in two weeks for a follow up.

This week I sign-up for my first two races.  1/2 Iron AquaBike and the Lowcountry Splash 2.4 mile  OWS.

Kevin

2010-01-25 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2631858

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Once you make that breakthrough it comes pretty fast! One hour...NICE :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Rehab Thread Rss Feed  

of 6