Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-02-19 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2604136

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Knee Rehab Thread
Had xrays on Wednesday and PT today. Still on bed rest, by and large, as the 2nd fracture is not yet knitting. But that was to be expected.

Finally got clearance to work from home starting Monday, which is good.

Also good news: I am at 90 ROM... which where my brace is locked. Yay! So now all I have to do is maintain until I get out of it :p.

2010-02-22 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2682032

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
mmrocker13 - 2010-02-19 1:39 PM
TriRSquared - 2010-02-19 9:06 AM
mmrocker13 - 2010-02-18 9:35 PM

Do you have a full thickness defect? If not, you should be safe from the mfx for awhile :-).

I'm not sure what this means?  He said my cartilage is "soft" just about everywhere along the knee.  The photos from the scope show his probe going in a centimeter or so.  He said it should not be going in at all.

Full-thickness means the cartilage is missing to the bone. A microfracture is only done when the lesion is full thickness. So he may just be preparing you for an eventuality.

Are you taking glucosamine/chondroitin at all? It certainly can't hurt (unless you're allergic to shellfish :p).

Def. keep up your strength stuff--abs, back, hips, glutes, quads--and try and avoid hard surfaces in your running. This will take as much impact off of your cartilage as possible. Soft isn't great--but at least it's still there. Def. try and keep it as long as possible :-)

I have no missing cartilage, it's just "soft".  From what he's saying it means I'm not getting as much absorption as I normally would causing the pain.

Unfortunately I am allegric to shrimp (came on suddenly about 5 years ago) so glucosamine/chondroitin is probably out.
2010-02-22 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I proud to say I did my first run tonight after work.  1 mile only but it felt good. 

I did have a funny feeling on the right front of my knee.  When running it felt like a lump of fat was bouncing on the front of my knee at the site where the scope went into my knee. The feeling kind of went away near the end of the run.

So  1 mile under my belt/shoes.  I am limited to twice a week runs so this will be a slow process to get ready for a 5 K in May or June.

Kevin
2010-02-23 7:08 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Congrats!  So how many weeks post op is this for you?

I'm 9 days and this weekend I walked around Disney world for 8 hours.  Knee felt OK but every other muscle in my legs and back were toast.  I assume from walking funny (slight limp still).

The good news is the pain I had before has not come back (yet).
2010-02-23 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I am 7 1/2 weeks post OP.  No pain this morning but a little stiffness. 

I have swimming planned for tonight so that will help.  Even when I first injuried my swimming made it feel good.

Last nights workout could be considered a reverse brick.  Stretch-Run-Walk-Trainer-Stretch.

Kevin
2010-02-23 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2687234

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
b2673ad - 2010-02-22 8:20 PM Hello

I proud to say I did my first run tonight after work.  1 mile only but it felt good. 

I did have a funny feeling on the right front of my knee.  When running it felt like a lump of fat was bouncing on the front of my knee at the site where the scope went into my knee. The feeling kind of went away near the end of the run.

So  1 mile under my belt/shoes.  I am limited to twice a week runs so this will be a slow process to get ready for a 5 K in May or June.

Kevin

Awesome! The numbness/wierd lump feel could be a bit of residual nerve irritation...

Can you do pool running at all? That will help you get the base miles without the impact.

2010-02-23 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Kevin and Mrocker.  glad that you are both are making progress from your surgeries.  Not to hijack the thread but how did you know that your knee required surgery?  Was it immediately that you felt the knee problems or did you gradually start having problems?  The reason I ask is I started having some minor knee discomfort for the first time in my life last year while training for Redman.  I knew it was there but ignorred it and took a few weeks off after the race.  I've been running again with just minor discomfort but I do have swelling to the right of the knee cap.  I've iced and have rested it some but the discomfort is minor so I've been running anyway.  Just strange that the swelling has not gone away (not getting worsr but not better).  I probably should see my ortho about it but I'm affraid he'll tell me to quit running.  Anyway, how did you know that it was serious enough to have the MRI and surgery?
2010-02-23 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2688280

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
rayd - 2010-02-23 11:02 AM Kevin and Mrocker.  glad that you are both are making progress from your surgeries.  Not to hijack the thread but how did you know that your knee required surgery?  Was it immediately that you felt the knee problems or did you gradually start having problems?  The reason I ask is I started having some minor knee discomfort for the first time in my life last year while training for Redman.  I knew it was there but ignorred it and took a few weeks off after the race.  I've been running again with just minor discomfort but I do have swelling to the right of the knee cap.  I've iced and have rested it some but the discomfort is minor so I've been running anyway.  Just strange that the swelling has not gone away (not getting worsr but not better).  I probably should see my ortho about it but I'm affraid he'll tell me to quit running.  Anyway, how did you know that it was serious enough to have the MRI and surgery?

Not to hijack the thread but how did you know that your knee required surgery?
Not a hijack... This wasn't my first surgery. I've had 5 total scopes, including several partial (and one total) meniscectomies, debridements, chondroplasties, and a lateral release and a microfracture. The DFO was my first "open" procedure, however.

My first surgery was when I was 12. I had a partial meniscectomy, LR, debridement, b/c I had dislocated my knee, tore my meniscus, and dislodged a large OCD fragment. That one was the result of trauma...all the others have been plotted out a head of time. I've been in touch with an orthopedic surgeon off and on throughout most of my life, and when the knee gets bad (beyond t he "normal") or when I've reached a point where I have to fix something...I get it fixed.

I probably should see my ortho about it but I'm affraid he'll tell me to quit running.
Well, he can only tell you. It's up to you to listen to him. You can always (and should, in that case) get more than one opinion and know all your options.

But, FWIW, No Running is a pretty extreme case. What you can fix and what you can run on is fairly extensive...whether you do or don't is up to you and your surgeon. The risks and rewards are highly individual.

Where is your pain...it could be something as minor as ITBS or tendinitis. The only way to know for sure, though, is to go to the doctor. You're not gaining anything by not getting it checked.
2010-02-23 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

Final run during the week before my second race.  1 mile into the run the area behind my right knee locked up tight. I almost could not walk walk home.  First thought by the Dr's & PT staff was a pulled or torn hamstring.  PT  help me walk but could not run.  7 PT sessions, Ortho Dr visit, MRI, then cortoson shot that allowed me to run.  Decided to get the knee scoped before the end of the year for money reasons and to make sure the issue did not spring up again in 2010 when I started training hard again.  During the scope Dr found a major torn meniscus flap in my knee and then cleaned out the area under the knee cap.  Someone younger would most likely spring back faster but I am ready to get back into full work outs.

Kevin
2010-02-24 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2688280

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
rayd - 2010-02-23 12:02 PM Kevin and Mrocker.  glad that you are both are making progress from your surgeries.  Not to hijack the thread but how did you know that your knee required surgery?  Was it immediately that you felt the knee problems or did you gradually start having problems?  The reason I ask is I started having some minor knee discomfort for the first time in my life last year while training for Redman.  I knew it was there but ignorred it and took a few weeks off after the race.  I've been running again with just minor discomfort but I do have swelling to the right of the knee cap.  I've iced and have rested it some but the discomfort is minor so I've been running anyway.  Just strange that the swelling has not gone away (not getting worsr but not better).  I probably should see my ortho about it but I'm affraid he'll tell me to quit running.  Anyway, how did you know that it was serious enough to have the MRI and surgery?

I had zero issues with my knee for my first 35 years.  Got a herinated disc so stopped running for a while to rehab it.  Was in the gym doing leg extensions (NEVER DO THESE) and worked my quads pretty hard.  Next day knee was killing me.  Shrugged it off as overdoing it.  It never got better.
2010-02-24 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Thanks for the responses to my question.  I'm almost 50 and seems things are popping up that never did before.  Or at least before I didn't think about them as much when I was younger.  Mrocker is right...it's my decision if I keep runing and for now I will.  It actually is not as painful as it was a couple months back.  I'm running a 1/2 next month.  figure after finishing that I'll know if I need treatment or not!

2010-02-24 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2690216

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
rayd - 2010-02-24 8:27 AM Thanks for the responses to my question.  I'm almost 50 and seems things are popping up that never did before.  Or at least before I didn't think about them as much when I was younger.  Mrocker is right...it's my decision if I keep runing and for now I will.  It actually is not as painful as it was a couple months back.  I'm running a 1/2 next month.  figure after finishing that I'll know if I need treatment or not!

Well... it IS your decision, but I DO advocate seeing a doctor if you have pain :-)
2010-03-01 10:25 AM

User image

Ahhh what a great thread..I've been battling knee problems/surgeries for a little over a year now. I injured my knee playing indoor soccer and tore my ACL, MCL, and meniscus...My first surgery was Oct 2009, 7 months later I was still having a lot of pain on the inside of my knee and after another MRI it was determined that my Meniscus had re-torn. They initially tried to stitch my meniscus instead of cut the injured portion out but at the time it was thought that it didn't heal properly. About 2 months after the second surgery I was still having a lot of instability and pain. After another MRI it was determined that my PCL was severly stretched causing all the symptoms of arthritis even though I have no arthritis at all. They gave me a brace that would allow me to run and do day to day activities without any pain and also gave me a serious of "gel" injections directly into my knee and that helped initially but in the end it was decided that the only way to really fix it was another surgery. I had surgery again on 12/4/10 and am still in rehab. I'm down to one crutch and things are starting to feel better. The picture I inclued is about a week after surgery #3, needless to say my knee modeling career is over lol.

Once I found out I needed a 3rd surgery I knew I would be an idiot to play soccer again. So with the help of my cousin who just finished the Louisville Ironman in 2009, I purchased a road bike and a trainer.  

Knee pic 1knee pic 2Bike/Trainer 1Bike/Trainer 2

2010-03-01 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2699667

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Very nice! Mine looks quite similar! :-) Does your brace go all the way to your foot? Mine is crotch to foot, and I grow weary of it. :-)
2010-03-01 12:57 PM

User image

Oh yeah, crotch to foot!!! It's the biggest pain in the arse!! Per my physical therapist I was able to get rid of the brace a couple of weeks ago.

You've been through a lot as well, How is everything going with you?
2010-03-01 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2700180

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
DJones107 - 2010-03-01 12:57 PM Oh yeah, crotch to foot!!! It's the biggest pain in the arse!! Per my physical therapist I was able to get rid of the brace a couple of weeks ago.

You've been through a lot as well, How is everything going with you?

As well as it can when you're trapped in bed, as I'm sure you know :-)

My next set of xrays is on the 10th, and I am DESPERATELY hoping there will be some improvement. I would love to be out of the brace my mid april. Normal pants would be nice Laughing

Is yours unlocked? Mine is to 90, which is nice...esp. since I can finally actually GET to 90 with only minimal pain.

Here is mine:

Edited by mmrocker13 2010-03-01 2:09 PM

2010-03-01 2:16 PM

User image

For the ACL mine was locked completed straight...but with the PCL it was locked at a bent position. I can't remember exactly what degree it was at first but locked in a bent position was MUCH more comfortable than completely straight. I don't have to wear the brace anymore, I just got permission to get rid of it a couple of weeks ago. How does your knee look without the wrap on? I'll take a pic of mine when I get home and upload it. It's pretty nasty lol.
2010-03-01 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2700441

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Mine's actually pretty clean...I mean, my leg is like a toothpick, but other than that, it looks pretty good. My surgeon did internal stitching, so I don't even have any stitch or staple marks. Pretty neat and tidy, no puckering or anything.

I was rather disappointed, to tell the truth :D My surgeon said he takes pride in reducing the amount of scarring. I told him he should have let the intern sew me up :p
2010-03-02 6:49 AM

User image

LOL that's pretty funny. But I can certainly understand 'wanting' the scar.
2010-03-02 9:25 AM

User image

Elite
Utah
Here's a question for all of you "ACL pro's"...

Last June I had my ACL replaced (per hamstring graft)...
Rehab was proven to be REALLY slow and sucked for me (I think perhaps partially due to the idiot therapists I had - yes, one even told me that I should not be swimming!!!  I only wish he would've told me that in the beginning so I would've known then to walk out and not waste my money)  Anyhoot, the winter was rough as that I was busy and didn't workout enough, and started noticing regression of my progress.

NOW... I am getting going again and the knee feels great, HOWEVER, my hamstring is REALLY giving me problems.  I'm trying to work it, stretching it (like every few hours through the day), heating it at night before stretching, etc... about the only thing I'm not doing is icing it...
but it's so bad that to even just try to pull my foot up to attempt to stretch the hip flexors, my hamstring cramps up as I lower the foot down.

If anyone has had similar experiences or any thoughts, I'd much appreciate them...

THANKS
2010-03-02 7:30 PM

Ouch!! Your pictures are killing me

Hope everyone's hanging in there and doing well. I started running last week. So far....so good. I'm doing couch to5k, week 1. Really humbling for someone who used to churn out double digit long runs.

But I'm not complaining. I just hope I keep progressing.

Lauren

2010-03-03 8:16 AM

I tore my meniscus late last year, didn't really know that that was what it was until a few weeks ago. The pain wasn't bad, just very annoying. The day after each run it used to hurt on the side and back side of my knee, so eventually I went to see a physio (with hindsight I should have went straight away).

She's reckoned that it was a minor tear, and started me on an exercise regime for leg strengthening exercises. I'm just starting my 4th week and it definitely seems to be working, I'm certainly much stronger than I was before.

She recommended I get back to jogging a week and a half ago and so far theres only a little pain, whereas before I would have a limp and bad discomfort/pain the next day.

It'll probably take another couple of months before my legs are strong enough so that there will be no discomfort after my runs. But very happy with my progress so far at least.

Edited by wayne0308 2010-03-03 8:16 AM
2010-03-03 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Yikes

I have not stopped in on this thread in a few days.

There is light at the end of the tunnel for all of us.

9 weeks Post-Op today and follow-up with the Ortho Doctor.  Full release with no restrictions.  He did say I am good running up to 15-20 miles a week which more than I will ever run. 

I have switched my first race from a 1/2 Iron AquaBike to Sprint Tri.

Tonight will be a run-bike (trainer) reverse brick.

Keep working hard at your PT as you all will be racing soon.

Kevin
2010-03-05 9:53 AM

User image

I'm officially off crutches!!!! WOOOHHHOOOOOO Cool
2010-03-05 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2709564

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
DJones107 - 2010-03-05 9:53 AM I'm officially off crutches!!!! WOOOHHHOOOOOO Cool

Yay!

(And just a wee bit of jealousy ;-))
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Rehab Thread Rss Feed  

of 6