General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Critique my ridiculously simple training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-09 6:33 PM

Subject: Critique my ridiculously simple training plan
I've read a number of training plans on this and other sites, as well as a few of the "newbie" tri-books. I'm SURE they are all good, and that they work, and that they are based on experience and science. However, my brain has trouble being that organized about things!

I'm 43, with a full time job, a side business, a big family, and limited training time, so I need to keep things super simple and memorable. My goals are to simply stay in good shape, enjoy the cross-training aspect that tri's offer, be happy as a FOBOP'er, yet still be able to comfortably finish Olympic distances.

Since I'm a beginner (just did my first sprint on June 5) I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there's anything drastically wrong with a simple training plan such as this:

Sun: Bike (I would do a long ride either Sat or Sun, the other day completely off)
Mon: Swim (because on Mondays I can join a group that does open water swims)
Tue: Run
Wed: Bike
Thu: Swim
Fri: Run
Sat: REST

Then I would just vary the intensity/distance/time of each workout depending on how I feel and how close I am to a race day. Yes I realize there are no brick workouts in there but I didn't do any before my sprint race and it wasn't a big deal. If I was out to win my age group then fine, I would add them but that's not a concern.

Any ideas/thoughts to tweak it to be a little better but still keep it simple simple simple???

2005-06-09 6:42 PM
in reply to: #172168

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Critique my ridiculously simple training plan

Because my work schedule is quite unpredictable I stick a simple plan.  Aim for 2-3 swims a week 3-4 bikes a week (hopefully one long) and 3 runs (when I'm not injured) per week and strength when I havve time with lots of stretching before running.  Gottta do what works for you.  Stick to your simple plan and if you have extra time one day add a workout as needed.  Better to workout simple and with what works for you schedule than to not workout at all. Good luck -SMO

2005-06-09 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa

Josmi - 2005-06-09 5:33 PM My goals are to simply stay in good shape, enjoy the cross-training aspect that tri's offer, be happy as a FOBOP'er, yet still be able to comfortably finish Olympic distances.QUOTE]

Given your goals, it looks perfect! One caveat, though: you will likely achieve your goals in an Olympic distance tri. It's that word "comfortably" that's got me.  Good luck to you!  

2005-06-09 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
To incorporate some brick work and not spend a lot of time doing it, a 15-minute run off the bike would be beneficial.

The primary factor in your training plan is the amount of time you want to devote to your training. That's based on not only your racing goals, but is in perspective with the rest of your life and priorities from every aspect. If this is what you feel comfortable doing and you are getting what you want out of your training and racing, that's the only thing that matters. Your personal training plan doesn't have to match anyone else's or any book's or website's plan.

Good luck!
Mike
2011-04-26 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
I realize this is an old thread, but, has anyone used Matt Fitzgerald's "super simple" plans HIM or IM?
2011-04-26 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3467047

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Wow, no kidding it is an old thread!  I use no plan other than run every other day and try and swim and bike a few times a week, so I am no help to nobody....

2011-04-26 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3467070

User image

Master
Denison Texas

ejshowers - 2011-04-26 2:02 PM Wow, no kidding it is an old thread!  I use no plan other than run every other day and try and swim and bike a few times a week, so I am no help to nobody....

Yeah it was me playing with the search function looking for anyone referencing these specific plans

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Critique my ridiculously simple training plan Rss Feed