Disney
27F / -3C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 309/16883
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 69/1633
Pre-race routine:

Surprised this year by the start time. Years past its been 6:30am. This year - being in corral A my start time was 5:40am. Sheesh. Got up at 3:00 and left the hotel at 3:45am. Since we stayed at Bay Lake Tower I could take the monorail to the ticket and transportation center to grab another monorail to Epcot. There was an open park bathroom right there as we exited the monorail so I went inside just staying out of the cold air. Every day leading up to the race the predicted air temp got colder and colder. I was layered to the point of looking like the Stay Puft Marshmallow man with a trash bag on. Made two additional trips to the portajohns just to get out of the cold. Had hand warmers in my gloves and in my pants pockets (go ahead and make your jokes - sickies). Got everything checked and made the long walk to the start.
Event warmup:

Not much. There's a lot of walking to get to the start line anyway. I really didn't feel like heating up and then standing getting cold in my sweat. My warm up was going to be my first few miles anyway just like a standard training run. Run zone 1 the first few and then tempo the rest of the way. The road leading out to the start is a back service road that isn't lit well so they bring out temp lights with generators. There were crowds of runners around these lights staying warm from the exhaust - heh.
Run
  • 3h 21m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Set up on my own at the start looking to find a group to run with. Wasn't sure if I'd run with the 3:10 group or not. Found some guys trying to run a 3:15 but I wasn't quite sure about them. Heard the 3:10 race pacer talk about "EZ" pacing while we were running the first mile. His plan sounded like mine so I hitched on. It was perfect, perfect, perfect. Felt great until miles 17 and 18. Started to fall back bit by bit. Its one thing to notice your pace falling off at the mile markers but it is so much more disheartening when there is a physical representation of your goal time slipping away like watching those damn red and white balloons get smaller and smaller. My muscles were seizing up and I tried my best to get beyond it. It became a mental battle to keep my focus, keep going and recalculate what I could slow to in order to keep my BQ time. The two overpasses before Hollywood studios took care of that though. Oy. Felt like I was doing the old man shuffle. I must've have been going fast for someone though as some idiot decided to draft off of me in the middle of all this. I was pissed. At that point you want a running partner not some tool drafting off you. But I'll say this. I did not walk one step.

Hydration was odd. Frozen water cups. I was crunching my way through the water stations. And speaking of. Glad I was running toward the front. Water was freezing on the road. Nice. Had ice all over my gloves from anything that spilled. Once the sun came up it got slightly colder as the wind chill dipped with stronger winds.

What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. I must have looked in bad shape cause I got immediate attention from one of the shoot volunteers. She made sure I could keep moving. I said I was fine. I got my mylar blanket and medal and walked to the rail to compose myself. I don't want pity or a pat on the back but this was a tough race to swallow for me and even tougher result and that's all I'll say about that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had pretty much rock solid training and planning going into this race. I think I know the glitch. After all these years I'm just now understanding what I need to conquer this damn distance. I also blame Tweedledee and Tweedledum. What are those things? Are they twins? And what's with the 1950's fat guy high wasted pants? They creep me out. And I swear one of them shot me the two finger pointy I'm watching you thing. I don't think I'll be going near that T-Cup ride again anytime soon.

Event comments:

Thank God for Jen. She is the worlds best supporter (and wife of course). I needed a shoulder and someone who understood and she found me right away at the end. Plus she helped me re-tie my shoes;) I couldn't bend over then and 36 hours later I still can't - I got me a big case of "you're walking like you crapped your pants" syndrome.

Last updated: 2010-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
03:21:31 | 26.2 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1633
Overall: 0/16883
Performance: Average
1) 7:29 2) 7:27 3) 7:29 4) 7:07 5) 7:05 6) 7:05 7) 7:03 8) 7:06 9) 7:13 10) 7:12 11) 7:11 12) 7:10 13) 7:06 14) 7:07 15) 7:09 16) 7:16 17) 7:18 18) 7:30 19) 7:47 20) 8:07 21) 8:02 22) 8:19 23) 8:31 24) 8:54 25/26) 19:28 .2) 2:00
Course: Covers all all four parks starting and ending at Epcot. The hardest part of the course for me ARE the parks. Lots and lots of turns and sharp corners. Its fun though but the stretches between parks can get really long and dead.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-01-11 7:04 PM

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il
Subject: Walt Disney World Marathon

2010-01-11 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2608643

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Marathon
I know the race wasn't exactly what you wanted, but I think you did a great job! You gave it your best and had still ran a very strong time.

The one time I signed up for a winter marathon in a warmer climate it ended up being really cold too (to the tune of 30* colder than the normal temps). I wonder if the water cups were frozen because they were assuming warmer weather? That's weird. And had to make hydration difficult.

2010-01-12 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Though not the goal you were shooting for, still a PR.  A big-time PR at that - so hang your hat on that, Mr. Schmit.

And you'll get your Boston baked beans, sooner or later (sooner, I'm sure!).  Until then, enjoy not having to marathon train in Chicago winter for awhile.  

2010-01-12 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2608680

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il

Kelly - the water cups had a layer of ice on them from the temps - it depended on the location of the stop and how long the cups were sitting out, I guess. It was just so odd and unexpected you know.

2010-01-12 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran

26.2 without a bit of walking and a PR plus I remember a little something about not running for the past few weeks ... dude, you achieved something HUGE!   Savor the 'Oops I crapped my pants' shuffle.  Hope the legs bounce back quickly.

2010-01-12 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2609500

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Good run!

This is not the fastest course imaginable.  The icy water stops and angled off ramps didn't help either.  My friend's garmin also showed it with over 1500' feet of elevation gain (and loss).  Not too flat for central FL.

2010-01-13 11:55 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Dude, that's a solid race in less than stellar conditions.  It's not the BQ you were shooting for, but it's a dang speedy time.

Making it to the start line healthy is key, and you accomplished that.

The weather was definintely unique for this race, and I'm sure that played a bit of role in the day as well.

And most importantly, if you learned something from the race, then it was a success!

2010-01-17 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Nice job!  I wish I could run that fast.  You are right about that dweedle dum fella.  The next time I meet up with him, he is NOT going to get the upper hand.  :D

Thanks for the report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Marathon Rss Feed