General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman training and family vacation? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-13 2:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ironman training and family vacation?
Folks,
I am planning a spring marathon on March 20, then Musselman half iron July 11 then my first IM Sept 12. We have had a vacation to Florida planned for the first week in Feb. to take the kids to Disney. Last night my in laws offered to take us to Key West the last week in July. We try to alternate vacations every year with my family and my wife's. Due to economic conditions (and triathlon addiction) we have not gone to Florida to visit either in 3 years. We see both families during the spring, summer and fall in NY. Anyways my wife really wants to do both vacations this year and asked if I want to ship my bike to the Keys in July or should we pass on this vacation. On one hand the path of least resistance for me is to skip it and stay focused on training. On the other hand it is always fun to see new places and train in other environments. I am leaning towards going and shipping my backup bike down for the week. What do you think? I would still have 6 full weeks from return to IM.

Kevin 

2010-01-13 4:57 AM
in reply to: #2611043

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman training and family vacation?
Why not just make those weeks swim/bike focused or part of your recovery weeks? You could probably find a stationary bike if you really wanted to. Even with IM training, you're still going to need a recovery week here are there. Just design your plan with your vacations in mind. IM training is hard enough on the family, so don't deprive them (or yourself) of a vacation, too!You could ship your bike, but it will add cost and annoyance to your trip.See you at Musselman. Good luck!
2010-01-13 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, IN

Go, go, go!!  I wouldn't even think of not going!  You will enjoy the training in a new environment!!  GO!!!

2010-01-13 7:19 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Go on the trip.

YOu could make that a recovery week.

If you book on Southwest bringing your bike only costs $50 each way. But bringing your bike means a lot more stuff to bring.

My mom had heart bypass surgery 3 weeks before my IM. I went to MN to be with her unknown how long I'd be gone. I trained and did borrow a bike from a BTer that fit almost perfectly but rode only about 40 miles.

We do this for fun. Missing a week of riding shouldn't be a big deal but you always have the option of bringing your bike if need be.
2010-01-13 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Bucks County
go on the trip. make your support crew happy. you can make it a recovery week or look at renting a bike but best bet is to make it an easy week and focus on the family. just my .02
2010-01-14 9:57 AM

Extreme Veteran
I like the idea of making it a recovery week. I did not even think of that. I may still take my bike because I like to ride in new places and you can cover more ground than running or swimming around the keys.

Kevin 

2010-01-14 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
chevy57 - 2010-01-13 3:13 AM Folks,
I am planning a spring marathon on March 20, then Musselman half iron July 11 then my first IM Sept 12. We have had a vacation to Florida planned for the first week in Feb. to take the kids to Disney. Last night my in laws offered to take us to Key West the last week in July. We try to alternate vacations every year with my family and my wife's. Due to economic conditions (and triathlon addiction) we have not gone to Florida to visit either in 3 years. We see both families during the spring, summer and fall in NY. Anyways my wife really wants to do both vacations this year and asked if I want to ship my bike to the Keys in July or should we pass on this vacation. On one hand the path of least resistance for me is to skip it and stay focused on training. On the other hand it is always fun to see new places and train in other environments. I am leaning towards going and shipping my backup bike down for the week. What do you think? I would still have 6 full weeks from return to IM.

Kevin 

The bit in red earns your wife mega points! That's awesome and sounds like she is really supportive! I am with the others though who think taking your bike for a week is not really worth the trouble. If you can rent on vacation you could do that. How about going for a long ride the day before your vacation, leave the bike at home, rent if you can/want to and then just run/swim (open water in the keys sounds OK to me!) on vacation if you want to continue to train. Also, using vacation as a recovery week is a great idea, especially if you have a long training week the week BEFORE vacation. I'm in a similar position to you and in the past have tried to load up the week before and do that I can during (usually just run and swim if possible).
2010-01-14 10:00 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
You're not really going to lose bike fitness in a week, especially if you sandwich it between more intense/higher volume bike weeks.  Go on the trip.  That's a no-brainer in my view, for the reasons already stated.
2010-01-15 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
I am training for my first IM so I am not the most qualified to answer this question, but I have been to the Keys and they are great.  Biking is tough because there is alot of traffic and not many roads.  I did alot of running along the beach and on the boardwalks and it was great.  You will also not have a hard time finding good open water swimming in the shallow waters off the Keys. There is alot of great kayaking too.  Check out Duval St., it may be the best street in America.
2010-01-15 11:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
This is funny, because I just discussed this with my wife. I live 78 miles from the airport. I proposed packing the truck up the night before then riding to the airport. Leave my bike in the car then ride it home from the airport after vacation. This would work out pretty well. Even if we did it the night before leaving for Florida, we could probably get a hotel room cheaper than the cost of flying the bike down.

Kevin
2010-01-20 9:18 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Temp down here is awesome right now I live in SW Florida. Running in tshirt and shorts is great even tonight at 9 pm. Water is cool but do able if you have a wet suit. Hell I live in Florida and will go to the Keys every time Im asked. It is great down there water is clear and you can ride right up A1A. Just remember like others have said brownie points with the wife and this is suppose to be for fun.

2010-01-22 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Look into renting a bike from a local shop. I did this last year during a trip to San Diego, all I had to do was bring my shoes and pedals.  The bike store supplied helmet, tire repair kit, pump etc.  The rental cost will probably be close to the same as shipping your bike and you don't have to deal with the headaches.  For me it was much easier than shipping and I didn't have to worry about missing workouts. 
As you will be in the Keys, it should be easy to coordinate your training rides while the family is at the beach or relaxing by the pool.  I tried to minimize my trainings impact on the family as it was a family vacation.  

Good luck with your trip and training.

Greg 
2010-01-22 10:41 AM

Regular
SF Bay Area, California
My family goes on two vacations a year.  I am always part of the family fun.  It is more important than any race.  That said, it never hurts my training.  I hit the bike hard the week before and the week after, so it is a recovery week for the bike.  On the vacation, I run hard almost every morning before anyone is up.  I swim a couple times per week when there is a break in the schedule or on a morning I don't run.  I have, on occasion rented a mountain bike for a day to get some pedaling in.  Those times were very fun because of the adventure of riding in a new place.  I always return refreshed, without any loss in fitness, and in the good graces of wife and kids.  That last part is critical.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman training and family vacation? Rss Feed