Memphis Runners Track Club
29F / -2C
Sunny
Total Time = 14m 13s
Overall Rank = 64/394
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/24
Pre-race routine:

I ate a french dip sandwich about 3 hours before the race. Sandwich had digested before I began my race warm up. I arrived at the race site about an hour before race start, checked in and picked up my t-shirt and schwag bag, then started my warm up.
Event warmup:

I did a 3 mile warm up including a trail run on the race course followed by 4-5 x 100m strides, followed by easy jog bag to my car to shed my warm up pants and jacket about 5 minutes before race start at 2pm.
Run
  • 14m 13s
  • 1.86 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a pretty good run, although I wish I had a little better positioning when entering the trail head. There was a line of runners in front of me on the single track trail through the woods who were moving slower than I wanted to go. There wasn't room to pass runners without risking turning an ankle or bumping other runners, so I moved at the line's pace until there were gaps in the trail for passing. When we broke out of the woods, it was a mad dash on open paved roads and fields for about 1/4 mile to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe scrambled a little harder at the start to get a better position before entering the trail head and single track through the the woods.
Post race
Warm down:

I did a 3 mile cool down run, including an easy run on the race course.

Event comments:

This was a good race that was well organized by the Memphis Runners Track Club - the first in a series of 4 races around the city from a 3k to 10k. This was my first cross country race in about 10 years. I enjoyed the change of venue from road racing. Running hard on trails is a very different experience from road racing.

Last updated: 2010-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:13 | 01.86 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/24
Overall: 64/394
Performance: Good
Avg. HR was 172 bpm, Max HR was 183 bpm. Mile 1 split was 7:29/mi. My Garmin Forerunner measured the 1.86 mile course at 1.94 miles.
Course: About 2/3 of the race wound through wooded trails in Overton Park, including a few tight turns, a couple of downed trees to hop over and sections of the trail with uneven footing. The sections of the course that were not on trails were on open fields and paved park roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes