General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The point you realized you are "that guy" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-01-17 11:02 PM
in reply to: #2616059

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Subject: RE: The point you realized you are "that guy"
These are some awesome posts.

Mine was when I was in the peak of training for Ironman Arizona.  I was up at 5:30 for a swim, then did a 90ish mile bike ride as the sun was rising, and then an hour brick run.  I was just about done with my run while the sun was setting, and I passed a guy on the path who said "awesome night for a run...beautiful sunset huh".  I replied "yeah, and I got to see the sunrise out here today too."  He asked "oh, two workouts today?" and I got to say "no, I'm still going."

2010-01-18 12:30 AM
in reply to: #2618994

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Boom808 - 2010-01-17 9:01 PM

when i told my GF i wanted to sell my PS3 and all my DJ Equipment for a Bike... 

I just sold my xbox360 and games to finance my road-to-TT conversion...
2010-01-18 3:50 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
I don't think I'm "that chick" at work. I think they just have no idea at all what to think. I keep pretty much everything on the down-low (except hiking, because on of my co-workers not only knows what a 4K is, he's hiked 'em too!).

However, I tried to get my company to do the $20 for every bike commute thing, so I was being really obvious about riding my bike in. I got up late for a meeting and was in a HUGE rush, blasted as hard as I could, absolutely no cool down before I hopped off, threw my bike in the locker room, and jogged up to the meeting. I walked in in full bike regalia (not a kit, but definitely biking gear), my Camelbak so I could drink something other than coffee during the meeting, and a long sleeve shirt so I wouldn't chill too quickly. The meeting had, um, something close to ALL of the middle management of the company, and a fair chunk of upper mgmt. I got some GREAT looks! Mostly, though, I got the "Huh?" treatment. I should add that the way I'm trying to convince my company to go for the $20 thing is by pointing out how many of our employees have lost their licenses due to DUIs...exercise isn't just a low priority here, it's a non-existent idea from some TV show!

(at my old work, I was "that chick" - they are all still exercising like demons because of what I started!!)
2010-01-18 6:17 AM
in reply to: #2619167

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Slugger - 2010-01-18 4:50 AM I don't think I'm "that chick" at work. I think they just have no idea at all what to think. I keep pretty much everything on the down-low (except hiking, because on of my co-workers not only knows what a 4K is, he's hiked 'em too!).

However, I tried to get my company to do the $20 for every bike commute thing, so I was being really obvious about riding my bike in. I got up late for a meeting and was in a HUGE rush, blasted as hard as I could, absolutely no cool down before I hopped off, threw my bike in the locker room, and jogged up to the meeting. I walked in in full bike regalia (not a kit, but definitely biking gear), my Camelbak so I could drink something other than coffee during the meeting, and a long sleeve shirt so I wouldn't chill too quickly. The meeting had, um, something close to ALL of the middle management of the company, and a fair chunk of upper mgmt. I got some GREAT looks! Mostly, though, I got the "Huh?" treatment. I should add that the way I'm trying to convince my company to go for the $20 thing is by pointing out how many of our employees have lost their licenses due to DUIs...exercise isn't just a low priority here, it's a non-existent idea from some TV show!

(at my old work, I was "that chick" - they are all still exercising like demons because of what I started!!)

Ummm, this pretty much DOES make you "that chick" - especially since you didn't even think twice about it, and still didn't think it made you "that chick"! 
2010-01-18 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2617794

User image

orange223 - 2010-01-16 7:57 PM The word got around the office that you do triathlons and now you are the "fitness" expert... to those overweight people in the office who have a honey bun and a Mountain Dew at 10:00 AM for breakfast... when you are on your 3rd meal of the day.  But still any healthy eating advice is good advice. Even the people who want to do the occasional 5k and now half marys come for advice.

My coworkers see me working out at lunch every day, and have come to believe that means I am a resource for healthy eating... Nope! Cookies? Pizza? Popcorn? Pass it on over! Actually, being able to outeat the guys at company events is a highlight of so much training.
2010-01-18 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
I have been following the thread and never had a "I'm that Guy" moment until today. I have also been following the thread "to shave or not to shave" thread. Outdoor riding season is just around the corner and I considered the idea of shaving. Talked with my wife about it and funny she seemed very supportive.

So, she's out of town this weekend and we talk before she boards the plane. She asks "did you get all cleaned up?" Well not yet. I hit the shower. I felt like Jerry Seinfeld. I started at my ankles and just could not stop. Just kept heading north. She gets home and I'm startled by how much she liked the look.Laughing

Anyways, went to the YMCA today to run. Went to the shower after and with all the resolutionists looking I "Officially became that guy!"

Edited by StlPhil 2010-01-18 9:14 AM

2010-01-18 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
I guess I'm "that girl" because I pass people in the hall before school (teacher) and they ask me "So what'd you do this morning?"
2010-01-18 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2617276

User image

Expert
CenTex

When I got a call from my son's Pedi GI doc, an experienced marathoner, and the call went to VM.  I called him back and he said, "I figured you must have been on your bike."

My response, "Nope.  Only at a spin class."

2010-01-18 12:47 PM

Last year I was that girl, never doing happy hours with co-workers because I had to run/bike etc. When they would ask me to drink, I'd say I'll come to a happy hour if you come running with me. Needless to say I didn't attend too many happy hours and ran alone a lot.

However, this year I'm starting to build a team! Next weekend a co-worker of mine is doing a half marathon with me. He's lost a bunch of weight and he loves running now. In july, a different co-worker will be doing an olympic distance tri with me. Yet another co-worker has started swimming again after 20 years off, because he told me he saw such a change in me, it inspired him. I routinely get asked what race I'm doing next and get amazing support from these guys. Lastly, my entire group at work is participating in a weight loss/get fit challenge and I get to be a coach!

I don't consider myself anything more than a girl who likes to be active but if I can inspire/motivate or just make people think about thier health more, I'm happy to be a part of it.

2010-01-18 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2619873

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, Il (Chicagoland)
swmrgrl - 2010-01-18 12:47 PM

Last year I was that girl, never doing happy hours with co-workers because I had to run/bike etc. When they would ask me to drink, I'd say I'll come to a happy hour if you come running with me. Needless to say I didn't attend too many happy hours and ran alone a lot.

However, this year I'm starting to build a team! Next weekend a co-worker of mine is doing a half marathon with me. He's lost a bunch of weight and he loves running now. In july, a different co-worker will be doing an olympic distance tri with me. Yet another co-worker has started swimming again after 20 years off, because he told me he saw such a change in me, it inspired him. I routinely get asked what race I'm doing next and get amazing support from these guys. Lastly, my entire group at work is participating in a weight loss/get fit challenge and I get to be a coach!

I don't consider myself anything more than a girl who likes to be active but if I can inspire/motivate or just make people think about thier health more, I'm happy to be a part of it.

Awesome!!!! 
2010-01-18 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Bethesda, MD/Northern NJ
My 'That Girl' moments:

Three weeks into my new job. I just graduated law school, I'm clerking for a judge. I had signed up for the Ragnar Relay way back in the spring, not realizing that it started early on Friday morning. Fridays are motion days in court - not the day for a law clerk to be out, especially in the first month! Also, the Relay was back down in Maryland, and I was working in North Jersey... I had my Ragnar team arrange for me to be Runner #12 - the last runner. They gladly obliged

So, I packed my gear bag, brought it to chambers. Worked a full motion day. At some point during the afternoon, I asked the Judge if it was ok if I left half an hour early, and I explained the race. He said of course, but I know that he and the secretary thought I was absolutely nuts

At 4pm, motions were finished so I went and got changed. Said goodbye, hopped in the car, drove 4 hours to the Maryland-West Virginia border. Drove to were my first run would start, and met my team. Ran my first leg (an easy 3 miles but I ran blazing fast - for me - and finished in 23:16!), then we dropped my car off in a Walmart parking lot.

I spent the rest of the weekend doing the Ragnar thing. For those who have never done Ragnar, it's a 199 mile relay race with 12 people. You sleep whenever you can. My legs were 3 miles, 5.7 miles, and 7 miles. I did those on about less than 2 hours of sleep, after a long day, and a long drive.

Everyone thought I was nuts... I had a blast!

2010-01-18 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2620077

User image

Regular
ThatGirl - 2010-01-18 3:32 PM

I spent the rest of the weekend doing the Ragnar thing. For those who have never done Ragnar, it's a 199 mile relay race with 12 people. You sleep whenever you can. My legs were 3 miles, 5.7 miles, and 7 miles. I did those on about less than 2 hours of sleep, after a long day, and a long drive.

Everyone thought I was nuts... I had a blast!

Not to hijack, but thanks. I think I just figured out what I want to do for my October or November race now.
2010-01-18 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
So Cal
I'm new to all this (my first race is next month!) so I just got to have my first "that guy" moment yesterday. It was my long run for the week, and my first time running in the rain. I was in my tri top and shorts and it was POURING and I was loving it! At a stop light a lady in a trench coat and hood pushing a stroller with a rain cover looked at me and said "you and I look like we live on different planets".
It made me run even faster.
2010-01-18 4:28 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Went to a trade show outside of DC a few months back. There were about 6 of us and we all arrived at the conference center around 2 pm and there was a happy hour event from 7pm-9pm.

When we all showed up at our booth that evening, one of the guys asked me how the fitness center was. I responded, "Pretty nice, actually. Wait a minute, how'd you know I went to the fitness center already?"

"You're you."
2010-01-18 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
My "that guy" moments with my neighbors happen during the kids' summer swim season.  The parents are shocked when I arrive all sweaty after running or riding to my daughter's swim meets (I'm one of the judges) even when the pools are surprisingly nearby.  But what impresses them even more is when we have the parents vs coaches relays after the meets.  We (three old guy Masters swimmers + a token other parent) always slam the parents from the other teams handily, always beat the coaches from our team, and always beat coaches from the opposing team (except for when they have a couple of hot shot college swimmers).  The kids love it!

Brian  
2010-01-19 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

One of many, but this morning, when I brought in a stability ball to sit on during the day at my desk.

2010-01-20 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2621174

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, Il (Chicagoland)
BHannahs - 2010-01-19 7:58 AM

One of many, but this morning, when I brought in a stability ball to sit on during the day at my desk.

How does this work for you?  Some of the schools around here have started to give stability balls instead of chairs to the kids.  Supposedly the kids are way more attentive when they are on the balls.  DO you like it?  Does it get to be a PITA (figuratively and literally)?
2010-01-20 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2623842

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
trigertas - 2010-01-19 10:28 PM
BHannahs - 2010-01-19 7:58 AM

How does this work for you?  Some of the schools around here have started to give stability balls instead of chairs to the kids.  Supposedly the kids are way more attentive when they are on the balls.  DO you like it?  Does it get to be a PITA (figuratively and literally)?

I work at home, but have been sitting on a stability ball for a couple of years now...it is great for keeping me awake during long conference calls. Seriously - it is great. It is comfortable and keeps my core engaged (after the first week of getting used to it). The biggest drawback for me is it is difficult to "roll" to other places on my desk like I could with a chair with rolling wheels.

They have some of the more "active" kids at my children's school sit on stability balls. It is supposed to help with their attention level because they have another place to focus their energy. (For the larger kids, they actually use the Bosum trainers - half stability ball, half hard plastic surface).
2010-01-20 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2624015

User image

Baltimore

I ran 12 miles in the middle of a blizzard in December 09'. There was about 10 inches of snow on the ground at the time. I mostly ran in the streets where the plows had compacted the snow but there were a few short stretches where I had to run in the 10 inches. I would say the worst part was the wind blowing the falling snow horizontally in my exposed face. I only planned on going a few miles but it was so peaceful to see a major metropolitan area (Baltimore) bascially empty. A man cleaning his car seen me, starting laughing and said "can't you not jog for 1 day". I guess at that moment I became "that guy'. I weighed my boots when I got home they were 4 1/2 lbs. My 4 year old son was waiting for me to get home so I had to go back out after a 1/2 hour break. I did catch a break though. Ironman Kona came on TV later that evening. I now have it DVR'd.

2010-01-20 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2619107

User image

Master
The others have been good (very good) but this is the best.
working (slowly) toward this.
sdbryant - 2010-01-18 12:02 AM These are some awesome posts.

Mine was when I was in the peak of training for Ironman Arizona.  I was up at 5:30 for a swim, then did a 90ish mile bike ride as the sun was rising, and then an hour brick run.  I was just about done with my run while the sun was setting, and I passed a guy on the path who said "awesome night for a run...beautiful sunset huh".  I replied "yeah, and I got to see the sunrise out here today too."  He asked "oh, two workouts today?" and I got to say "no, I'm still going."

Thanks for the insipration
2010-01-20 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
When people ask me what I am training for and I launch into a triad about the 6 races I have planned this season. 
When I have to explain that the 1/2 marathon I'm running is just a training run for a HIM.
When I actively shop for spandex, that is the real kicker for me, Now I am that guy!
When I tell my wife I'm going out for a run and she knows not to expect me back in less than an hour.

A friend and I were driving the other day and a group of cyclists were occupying the right side of the road.  He proceedes to scream at them and call them lance armstrong wannabes.  I had to look at him and explain why he was wrong and that I too am a lance armstrong, spandex slinging wanabe!  The look on his face was priceless.

I am very proud to be that guy.

2010-01-20 5:21 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
When I get changed to swim and my suit is still wet from my early morning swim.
2010-01-20 6:11 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
I think I had one the other day at the pool.  It was pretty busy - all four lanes had someone or two someones in them. Got in a lane.  A little while later, the guy I'm sharing with finishes up.  Someone else jumps in, and finishes their workout.  I'm still going.  I see off to the side a couple bikini clad girls get in the hot tub.  15 minutes later, see them get out.  Still going.  After an hour, I am the only one left. in the whole pool. 

I sort of felt like if you had a camera going, and sped up the movement, you'd see people going in and out, doing their full workouts, chilling in the hot tub, rinsing off, and leaving, and the one guy just moving back and forth for over an hour in the lap lane.
2010-01-20 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
I became "that girl" tonight!  I was packing my bag to head to the gym and missed a phone call from a colleague about a job I thought he'd be interested in.  I immediately call him back and tell him I'm on the way to the gym.  He said "I figured- you're always there." 

Fist pump!
2010-01-20 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2620214

User image

Master
Whamxbamxpow - 2010-01-18 3:48 PM I'm new to all this (my first race is next month!) so I just got to have my first "that guy" moment yesterday. It was my long run for the week, and my first time running in the rain. I was in my tri top and shorts and it was POURING and I was loving it! At a stop light a lady in a trench coat and hood pushing a stroller with a rain cover looked at me and said "you and I look like we live on different planets".
It made me run even faster.

Awesome. 

Back in October I was running around the neighborhood when the worst rainstorm of the year came through.  Cats and dogs raining - even in New Orleans (where I grew up) it would have been an impressive storm. I stripped my shirt off and carried it because it was so waterlogged. I must have looked like a drowned rat, but I was having a great time - didn't even think about coming home.  I had two people stop and ask if I needed a ride home.  Definitely now "that guy" in the neighborhood.

There is nothing better than warm rainy days or super windy days!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The point you realized you are "that guy" Rss Feed  

of 3