General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Inspired by Ironman Brother Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-15 10:31 PM

Subject: Inspired by Ironman Brother
On November 7th, 2009, I traveled down to Wilmington, NC to watch my younger brother compete in the Beach-2-Battleship Ironman.  I was blown away watching him compete.  I knew how hard he had trained, and I was really proud of him.  He'd set a goal to complete it in less than 12 hours, and he made it with less than a minute to spare.  At the same time, it caused me to focus on my own fitness.  Here he was doing 140.6, and I was getting sore just walking around trying to watch him!  I was overweight and woefully out of shape.

After arriving back in Philadelphia, I started running (more accurately, jogging) on Monday the 9th.  I pulled my old bike out of the garage and started riding too.  For the first month I randomly went on runs or rides and tried to build up some endurance.  Starting in December, I joined BT and selected a training plan (Winter Maintenance).  Using leads from the Pennsylvania BT forum, I joined a local college pool for ridiculously cheap and started swimming too.  I got a couple of swimming lessons, a new bike (old bike was too small apparently) and have followed the plan very closely.  I've got to say, receiving an email reminding me of the next days workout, along with the satisfaction I get from updating my training log, has really helped to keep me motivated.

So, since November, I've lost 20 pounds.  I went from hardly being able to run a mile to running 6 in an hour.  I'm planning my first race (a duathlon) at the end of March, and I've convinced my brother to participate with me in my first triathlon at the end of June.  I still have a long way to go, but I feel as though I've come a long way, and this site has played a big role in that.  I've held off on posting to I introduced myself, but now that I've done so, I'm looking forward to being part of this community.  Thanks for reading my way long post....

2010-01-16 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2616921

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Inspired by Ironman Brother

welcome to BT.  Good for you on loosing the weight and looks like you have really done well in your training.    You control your destiny.  If you want to do an IM like your brother, make a plan, follow it,  get the training in and go compete and HAVE FUN..

And Welcome to BT. 
2010-01-16 5:58 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Welcome to BT.  Awesome story ande fantastic progress on your run!  Good luck!!

2010-01-18 12:06 AM

Expert
Ann Arbor
Welcome to BT.  Congrats on starting your triathlon journey.  It's nice to hear that you inspiration comes from someone so close to you.
2014-09-09 9:58 AM
in reply to: LazyFatDog

Thought I would provide an update for the heck of it. In March on 2010 I completed the Duathlon mentioned, and I also finished that sprint in June 2010 and then completed an Olympic in September 2010. I ended up losing over 40 pounds and felt great. Then I took a little break over the winter. The break lasted longer than a winter. I'd try to get motivated again and again, but couldn't recapture the passion that I felt when I first got into this sport. In November of 2013, I was the heaviest I'd ever been (so gained 50 pounds after my triathlon low) and once more woefully out of shape.

So I decided I would do a HIM.

I researched a bunch, and with advice from my brother, I signed up for Pumpkinman in South Berwick, ME. Hired a coach and started training in December. My goal was to finish. My goal was to get back on the wagon and start training again. My brother was a huge help along the way. He's now done 7 IMs, so he was both an excellent source of information and also motivation. He patiently listened to me complain about training, my lack of time, my desire to quit (or maybe just do the aqua bike), and pushed me through it. To keep me honest, he signed up for the race as well and flew across the country to compete.

I finished the Pumpkinman Half this past Sunday.

Now I'm on BT to find a new training plan and to pick my next race (I'm thinking olympic) to make sure I keep this up.
2014-09-09 10:52 AM

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by LazyFatDog

Thought I would provide an update for the heck of it. In March on 2010 I completed the Duathlon mentioned, and I also finished that sprint in June 2010 and then completed an Olympic in September 2010. I ended up losing over 40 pounds and felt great. Then I took a little break over the winter. The break lasted longer than a winter. I'd try to get motivated again and again, but couldn't recapture the passion that I felt when I first got into this sport. In November of 2013, I was the heaviest I'd ever been (so gained 50 pounds after my triathlon low) and once more woefully out of shape.

So I decided I would do a HIM.

I researched a bunch, and with advice from my brother, I signed up for Pumpkinman in South Berwick, ME. Hired a coach and started training in December. My goal was to finish. My goal was to get back on the wagon and start training again. My brother was a huge help along the way. He's now done 7 IMs, so he was both an excellent source of information and also motivation. He patiently listened to me complain about training, my lack of time, my desire to quit (or maybe just do the aqua bike), and pushed me through it. To keep me honest, he signed up for the race as well and flew across the country to compete.

I finished the Pumpkinman Half this past Sunday.

Now I'm on BT to find a new training plan and to pick my next race (I'm thinking olympic) to make sure I keep this up.

I am impressed and inspired. I think it takes a LOT to accomplish what you have. Sounds like you are lucky to also have an amazing brother. I am willing to bet that you'll be able to keep it going this time. An Oly next sounds like a great plan. Maybe if you try a variety of events/distances, each spaced out a couple months or so to stay fresh and motivated? You'll do it for sure!

2021-11-29 12:09 PM
in reply to: 0

Third time is a charm maybe? After once again falling off the wagon, I'm once again trying to claw my way back on. Over ten years since my introduction post on this site and I'm once again getting back into training.

Back in October I was at a work dinner with some colleagues when the subject of fitness goal setting came up. I told the story of how I'd originally gotten into triathlon years ago, and then tried again years later. As I'm confessing to my colleagues my failure to stay motivated and committed to triathlons, I started thinking to myself that it is never too late to try again. So once again I called up my brother and started discussing plans.

I started off toying with the idea of doing a couch to IM in a year. Big, scary, audacious goals help me get motivated. Trying to do IMAZ in November 2022 felt big, scary and audacious. But the other side of that coin is that after I complete the big, scary, audacious goal (like I did the last two times), I'm mentally and physically exhausted and end up taking an (extremely long) break from training. So I've set a two part goal: (1) IronMan North Carolina in October 2022 (an HIM) and then (2) IMAZ in November 2023. My brother will do IMAZ with me in 2023. I also really like the notion of returning to Beach to Battleship, where this all started in 2009, and competing myself. I'm also hoping that, assuming I can stick with this through IMAZ, two years of consistent training will finally build some habits that will stick.

I've been working with a coach for about a month now and am slowly improving my fitness. A long way to go, but it feels good to be working towards something.

Edited by LazyFatDog 2021-11-29 12:11 PM
2021-12-01 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by LazyFatDog Third time is a charm maybe? After once again falling off the wagon, I'm once again trying to claw my way back on. Over ten years since my introduction post on this site and I'm once again getting back into training. Back in October I was at a work dinner with some colleagues when the subject of fitness goal setting came up. I told the story of how I'd originally gotten into triathlon years ago, and then tried again years later. As I'm confessing to my colleagues my failure to stay motivated and committed to triathlons, I started thinking to myself that it is never too late to try again. So once again I called up my brother and started discussing plans. I started off toying with the idea of doing a couch to IM in a year. Big, scary, audacious goals help me get motivated. Trying to do IMAZ in November 2022 felt big, scary and audacious. But the other side of that coin is that after I complete the big, scary, audacious goal (like I did the last two times), I'm mentally and physically exhausted and end up taking an (extremely long) break from training. So I've set a two part goal: (1) IronMan North Carolina in October 2022 (an HIM) and then (2) IMAZ in November 2023. My brother will do IMAZ with me in 2023. I also really like the notion of returning to Beach to Battleship, where this all started in 2009, and competing myself. I'm also hoping that, assuming I can stick with this through IMAZ, two years of consistent training will finally build some habits that will stick. I've been working with a coach for about a month now and am slowly improving my fitness. A long way to go, but it feels good to be working towards something.

Welcome back!  Great to have you here.  As you've seen we're a little smaller around here now but there are still a couple of good mentor groups and about a dozen of us or so who respond to the Tri Talk forum regularly. 

2021-12-01 9:47 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Great to hear from you again! You are right, it's never too late to try again.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Inspired by Ironman Brother Rss Feed