United States
Disney World of Sports
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 47m 2s
Overall Rank = 875/17102
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 139/1334
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3am at the hotel and got dressed, had bagel banana and meal al ready from the night before. Layered up on the clothing and then snuck out while Grandma and the kids slept on the pullout.

Had checked radar prior to leaving hotel so knew we were in for a morning of fun in the elements.
Event warmup:

Had planned on doing a warm up...but sat in the car with the heater on wondering how long we could sit there. Ended up having to leave to use the john's one last time and also to met up with a friend. Cold like a cold up North, then the snow started. Not a northern snow but still snow. I know this because it was fallen but I felt nothing hitting me...a bit later the snow turned to sleet which I could feel and than a cold rain.

Needed to watch out for bits of ice on the ground as we walked to the start.
Run
  • 1h 47m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Pushed myself back a corral from B to C to be able to start with my wife since I didn't do a warm up. Ran the first mile with her and then asked her if it was ok to leave and run my race. I think I did nothing but pass people. I'm not a fast runner so the only thing I can think of is that this race is more recreational for the masses...or everyone was a bit frozen.

Ran a good solid race and finished with a PR by about a minute and half. I was hoping to break 100 minutes...but with no warmup and some of the course congestion...I missed that mark.

What would you do differently?:

Based on HR data I could have run a bit harder. I think I also got into a groove that was just hard to break down the road. After the start it seemed like the next thing I knew I was going down main street, that part alone made the race, and was at mile six. Starting with mile 8 I started to pick up the pace and with the exception of a few congestion spots was able to reduce my mile splits. Next time I need to start out a bit faster and then push it at mile 8. I feel that I could have done a 7:30 split race had I been able to see the garmin a bit better to help initially set my pace. Plus with always passing folks I never really found that group to run with. :(
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down, heck it was so cold! I went back to my car to put on dry clothes and then went to find the wife. Ended up standing at the reunion area for about 30 minutes until I connected. We took our post race food and went back to the car and sat there for an hour getting warm, plus no cars were moving anyway. :)

Post race I made sure to utilize my recovery drink from FLUID www.livefluid.com Not only does it taste great but also limited the amount of recovery time I needed which is important! One week later I did a 50 mile bike training segment and next week I have my next HM in Central Park....which actually might be warmer than Orlando.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't really plan for how dark it would be and the difficulty in reading the Garmin. I didn't seem to have that problem on dark morning runs...so maybe I have more light on my run.

Event comments:

Definitely a good race but think next year we will do the PF Chang in Phoenix....

Last updated: 2010-01-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:02 | 13.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 139/1334
Overall: 875/17102
Performance: Average
mile 1 - 9:32.24 mile 2 - 8:11.73 mile 3 - 8:02.28 Mile 4 - 8:11.99 Mile 5 - 8:10.28 Mile 6 - 8:00.19 Mile 7 - 8:13.31 Mile 8 - 8:09.31 Mile 9 - 7:45.84 Mile 10 - 7:44.10 Mile 11 - 7:55.26 Mile 12 - 7:59.31 Mile 13 - 7:35.99 last bit - 1:34.16
Course: Obviously was dark and I had a hard time reading my Garmin
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes