General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman California 70.3 Elevation Gain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-17 8:59 AM

Subject: Ironman California 70.3 Elevation Gain

Ironman California 70.3 is going to be my first tri, and I'm a little concerned about the elevation gain on the cycling portion.  I really have two questions, does anyone know what the total elevation gain is for the cycling leg?  My current long training ride is 56 miles with 2000 feet of elevation gain primarily over three hills, is this enough hill training for IM California?  I live and train at about 4200 feet of elevation do you think this will help? 

2010-01-17 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2618101

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman California 70.3 Elevation Gain
your training should be fine. The 1st hill at CAL70.3 is a steep short one. It catches alot of people by surprise because when you see the profile it doesnt look that bad. However there will be alot of walkers going up that hill. I was one last year i do not plan to be one this year! The other 2 hills to me were just long slow seated grinds. There is a link of everyone doing the race over here

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...
2010-01-17 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2618101

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman California 70.3 Elevation Gain
There's only about 2500-2700 feet of climbing.  The first 25 miles or so is a deceptive elevation gain.  There are a few false flats.  There are a couple short steep climbs right out of transition (not more than a couple hundred feet).  Then mostly rollers, but net gain in elevation.

The climbs are on the base property.   First is steepest and shortest (can see the top from the bottom).  Second and third are progressively less steep but longer.  I'd make hill repeats a part of your weekly routine. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman California 70.3 Elevation Gain Rss Feed