Houston Marathon Committee
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 01m 46s
Overall Rank = 1923/8842
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 184/856
Pre-race routine:

running races are so much easier than tri's, theres no bike or goggles or anything to forget. set the alarm clock for 4:30 and let it snooze once. got up, made my favorite pre-race meal, scrambled eggs and grits and guzzled that down. its really forgiving on my stomach when i'm nervous.
Event warmup:

since the race start was only about a mile away i decided to walk to the race site. it was about 45 or so degrees which i figured was perfect. the pomp and circumstance of this race is phenominal. starting probably 6-8 blocks out from the convention center they have music blaring from all the corners. streets blocked off everywhere, thousands and thousands of people. this is a really well put together event.
Run
  • 2h 01m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

the run was good. most amazing to me was the number of people. going up and down hills, and looking forward and back there was an unending mass of humanity. a literal sea of people. it was surreal for the first mile or so, all you could hear was all the footsteps. had to zigzag alot in the beginning. folks never position themselves properly and you have to get through them. my buddy and i turned out being in different stages, with mine going off first. i visited in his corral until about 10 minutes from my start time and when i moved up into my corral i was placed back pretty far in it.

after a few miles the zigzagging was done and most of the folks running near me were pretty much running the same speed. the crowds were great and i was inspiring to hear them hollaring out my name (they print your name on your number) and ringing all the bells and horns and all that.

so the first half was good, i was running well, and nothing had yet become injured. thats good for me because i always end up getting jacked up in a race lately. so i'm happy. but right at halfway it seems things just took a turn. things just didn't feel as good. it was like this throuhg mike 8, mile 9, and mile 10. my mental toughness was getting seriously tested. i took a 15 second walk but knew THAT wasn't ok. so i stopped to pee. that took 40 seconds and when i came out of the port-o-can i felt new for a small moment. my legs stopped again, this time for 20 seconds but i just couldn't stop. i guess that means i overcame the demons but i wish i had never given in. it didn't get any easier, my hamstrings were starting to get sore as i ran and my legs were getting heavier. at the end of mile the thought of two more miles, while very welcome, was also horrifying. those last two miles were harder than the first 10, by a factor of 5. i made it though.
What would you do differently?:

i would train more. my training kinda fell apart and i just wasn't running. would like to see how this would have gone had i completed all my training as planned.
Post race
Warm down:

into the convention center to eat!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training

Last updated: 2009-08-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:46 | 13.1 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 184/856
Overall: 1923/8842
Performance: Good
172 avg, 183 max. you can see the drift higher as the race went on. HR was planted in the 160's until 4.6 miles in when there is a noticable ramp up to the 175 range that it never came down from. at 7 miles theres a noticable decrease in speed not associated with a decrease in HR. actually it went up and bounced in and out of the 180's for the rest of the race.
Course: half marathon course. nice. single loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-01-17 10:13 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: Houston Half Marathon

2010-01-18 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2619073

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Houston Half Marathon
Great mental toughness Robert!  Awesome job!  And no joke about how much easier it is to get ready for these races then tri's.
2010-01-18 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2619073

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Houston Half Marathon

Great job getting through it!!  I hope you are recovering well today!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Houston Half Marathon Rss Feed